A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Information = Time * States

Old July 29th 18, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Information = Time * States

Hello,

After many spectra attacks, I think it's time I told you about my latest thoughts or even invention.

The formula:

Information = Time * States

Could also be thought of as :

Information = Time * Delta States

I am starting to believe there is a relation ship/link between information and time.

And since computers are basically states transition machines which work with operations to changes these states. The information that is produced over a time period happens by state changes, hence delta S.

I am not a math guy maybe there is a better way to formulate this formula.

This formula does make it obvious then when reducing delta S to it's minimum for example 1 state change, the time for this operation becomes observable, since each operation may require different time, information is leaked (the time can identify the operation, maybe even the data).

This also predicts that there is another implicit attack vector (after all these spectre attacks which so far have used timing attacks to acquire information).

Since computers use energy to transform states and do operations each operation/state change could use up a certain ammount of energy.

Thus the ammount of energy used could also leak information about the operation/state inside the machine.

Computers/Machines currently use voltage/watts and that kind of thing, which can be seen for example by hardware monitor tool.

Thus I have begone to wonder if the frequency at which this data can be read is high enough to start profiling "operations of the cpu/machine" based on energy usage or in this case on "voltage fluctuations".

The voltage fluctuations may be another way to "transmit" data from the cpu/process to another process. It could be the next line of "spectre attacks"..

If the given formula above is correct then I can basically come to the conclusion that computers are basically inherently "leaky" ("flawed" for storing information securely).

There never was a thorough examination of the security of "turing machines", Alan Turing died before he could work on this examination.

We may now have entered a society/world were all our information store on computers is inherently leaky.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old July 29th 18, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Information = Time * States

Perhaps a better description for this formula would have been:

Information = Time * Transitions

Bye,
Skybuck.