Canon 4200 - Refill in Place ???

Old December 14th 05, 06:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Canon 4200 - Refill in Place ???

Recently bought a Canon 4200 for wife (she likes it a LOT) and
eventually plan to refill the ink cartridges myself (once the
places selling ink have forumulations for the 4200, and when
the original cartridges need refilling)

I am not 100% sure how the new cartridge chips work, but think
I understand that removing/replacing the cartridge is "part" of
how the chip "knows" that "something" has happened

So... instead of removing the cartridge to drill a hole and add
ink, would it be better to drill (or melt - I've seen at least
one message talking about a heated paper clip) the hole and just
add ink to the cartridge while it stays in the printer?

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Old December 14th 05, 06:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"John Thomas Smith" wrote in message
(snip)
So... instead of removing the cartridge to drill a hole and add
ink, would it be better to drill (or melt - I've seen at least
one message talking about a heated paper clip) the hole and just
add ink to the cartridge while it stays in the printer?

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Not a good idea, John. Opening a fill hole permits ink to drip out of the
ink outlet port. You also run the risk of having some ink accidently drip
from the syringe or out of the cartridge if you overfill it. Best to follow
the usual procedure of replacing the cartridge with one that is full and
then refilling it while out of the printer. You don't want to leave the
printhead with a cartridge out for any period of time as the intake port and
jets can dry out and clog.

If the Epson chipped cartridge "experience" is any guide, some enterprising
vendors will come up with a solution to the problem quite soon. This is too
big a market for them to miss out on. We may also see a participant on this
newsgroup, the nifty stuff forum, or some other usergroup come up with a
reset code, similar to the reset code used with the waste ink tank problem,
that will reset the printer to see the refilled cart as a new one.

Old December 14th 05, 06:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"John Thomas Smith" wrote in message
So... instead of removing the cartridge to drill a hole and add
ink, would it be better to drill (or melt - I've seen at least
one message talking about a heated paper clip) the hole and just
add ink to the cartridge while it stays in the printer?

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, "Burt" wrote:
Not a good idea, John. lotsa snip
Opening a fill hole permits ink to drip out of the ink outlet port
ink accidently drip from the syringe or out of the cartridge
don't want to leave the printhead with a cartridge out
vendors will come up with a solution to the problem quite soon

OK... when the originial tank(s) run out of ink I'll put in the
replacement(s) I bought with the printer, and will then see what
is available that says it is specifically for the 4200

Old December 14th 05, 07:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, "Burt" wrote:
Not a good idea, John. lotsa snip
Opening a fill hole permits ink to drip out of the ink outlet port
ink accidently drip from the syringe or out of the cartridge
don't want to leave the printhead with a cartridge out
vendors will come up with a solution to the problem quite soon

OK... when the originial tank(s) run out of ink I'll put in the
replacement(s) I bought with the printer, and will then see what
is available that says it is specifically for the 4200

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

I am using an i960, an ip5000, and bought an extra ip5000 a few weeks ago on
closeout to put on the shelf as a hedge against the refilling problems of
the new canons. Since I haven't purchased a newest generation canon printer
I don't have firsthand knowledge of the refill issue with the new carts and
can only tell you what I've read on this NG and the Nifty-stuff forum. I've
looked at them and they appear to be nearly the same as the bci-6 and bci-3
carts except for the chip and a slightly different shape that prevents the
older series of carts from fitting into the new printers. I've read that
someone refills the new carts with the ink sold for the previous generation
of printers. I'm not suggesting that you should do that - I'm only
reporting on what I've read. I've also read that there is one aftermarket
vendor who is selling ink or refilling the new cars.

If I had the 4200 I would wait it out for a while. Something else to think
about - I have seen this printer on sale with rebates for around $80 net
cost (don't recall where - think it was online). If you need to buy another
set of carts it probably makes more sense, if you see a really good deal on
the printer, to just buy another one, use the carts, and put the printer on
the shelf to wait out the aftermarket availability of inks! I haven't
priced the carts, but I've heard that they are a bit more expensive than the
bci-6 and bci-3 carts. That puts the price of a set of carts at $65 or
more.

Old December 14th 05, 08:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

John Thomas Smith wrote:

Recently bought a Canon 4200 for wife (she likes it a LOT) and
eventually plan to refill the ink cartridges myself

IF YOU ARE A LIGHT USER THAT IS A MISTAKE. WHY RISK YOUR PRINTER UNLESS
YOU ARE A HEAVY USER. THEN YOU HOPE YOU CAN GET IN A FEW REFILLS BEFORE
THE HEAD CLOGS. AND IF YOU ARE A HEAVY USER THEN JUST CALL CANON AND
TELL THEM YOU USE OEM INK AND MAYBE THEY WILL SEND YOU A NEW PRINTHEAD.

THIS PAIN IN THE ASS IS ONLY WORTH IT FOR HEAVY USERS.

(once the
places selling ink have forumulations for the 4200, and when
the original cartridges need refilling)

I am not 100% sure how the new cartridge chips work, but think
I understand that removing/replacing the cartridge is "part" of
how the chip "knows" that "something" has happened

So... instead of removing the cartridge to drill a hole and add
ink,

AND SLOP UP THE PRINTER

Old December 15th 05, 07:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

measekite posted the exciting message news:7P_nf.33049
:

AND SLOP UP THE PRINTER

I'm sure you are slopped up just fine.