Intel onboard GPU conflicting with CPU power

Old May 25th 18, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Default Intel onboard GPU conflicting with CPU power

On Fri, 25 May 2018 19:29:44 +0100, Paul wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

It amazes me how they can get that much current into it with little
motherboard tracks - if you consider how thick a cable is to supply your
electric shower or cooker for example, with a third as much current.

The board is multi-layer, and inner layers can be used to route power.

Yes, you do need "planes" to handle that much current. In some
cases (Gigabyte), they even use 2oz copper for that, rather than
the "normal" half ounce copper. Sometimes you see mention of
that in some advertising blurb.

Why on earth are they using such an antiquated measurement? It should be measured as 0.07mm.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...oz-copper-lead

You can see some layer stackup diagrams here.

https://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/16/article_12_ud3.htm

At one time, motherboards were four layer.
When RAMBUS came out, those were six layer.

I never used that stuff due to bad reviews.
ROFL! "Rambus Incorporated, founded in 1990, is an American technology licensing company, and has also been labelled as a patent troll."

The Gigabyte diagram indicates they used 8 layers
on their X58 product.

https://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/16/article_12_ud3.htm

--
63% of men have had sex in the shower.
The other 37% have never been to prison.
Old May 25th 18, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 19:29:44 +0100, Paul wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

It amazes me how they can get that much current into it with little
motherboard tracks - if you consider how thick a cable is to supply your
electric shower or cooker for example, with a third as much current.

The board is multi-layer, and inner layers can be used to route power.

Yes, you do need "planes" to handle that much current. In some
cases (Gigabyte), they even use 2oz copper for that, rather than
the "normal" half ounce copper. Sometimes you see mention of
that in some advertising blurb.

Why on earth are they using such an antiquated measurement? It should
be measured as 0.07mm.

Because discussions with the PCB shop, don't work the way
you think. It's more like a discussion with a chef in
a kitchen, than with a machinist in a machine shop.
Every profession has its own way of doing things.

My policy is "we don't argue with success". If the
methodology produces good results, who am I to argue
with petty details :-)

Paul
Old May 25th 18, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

On Fri, 25 May 2018 22:56:58 +0100, Paul wrote:

[...]

I can understand old measurements with a bricklayer, but people manufacturing the latest technology I'd expect to use metric measurements.

The measurement that really annoys me is "mills". Some people think it means thousandths of an inch, some think it means millimetres.

--
History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god. -- Giulian Buzila
Old May 26th 18, 07:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 5/25/2018 5:48 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Is it true that if you max out the GPU part of an Intel processor at the
same time as all the normal cores, it can't do them all at once?* I run
Boinc which can do calculations on both at once.* And if I use all the
CPU cores, the GPU part goes about a 5th of the speed.* I guess the only
other place this could happen is a game that multithreads on all the
cores and also uses the graphics.

Are you using a standalone GPU? If not, the CPU will be used to do
on-board/in-chip graphics.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不*錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):