WIA-compliant scanner driver for Canon MX700 on Windows 7

Old December 12th 12, 08:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
JRosen

Default WIA-compliant scanner driver for Canon MX700 on Windows 7

This question is more about software than about hardware but here goes: The Computer Manager window of my Windows 7 laptop contains a device labeled "Canon MX700 Ser" (I have a Canon MX700 multifunction) and Canon's documentation identifies ScanGear, the one-and-only scanner driver invoked from MP Navigator Ex (the Canon-supplied scanner software), as TWAIN-compliant. However, I can also operate the MX700's scanner from "Windows FAX and Scan," so there must be a WIA-compliant scanner driver somewhere in the laptop. This begs two questions:
1) Is there just one scanner driver ("Canon MX700 Ser") in the laptop which is both WIA- and TWAIN-compliant?
2) Or has Canon supplied two scanner drivers, one TWAIN-compliant and the other WIA-compliant?

Thanks in advance for any help in answering these questions.

JRosen
Old December 12th 12, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message ,
JRosen writes
This question is more about software than about hardware but here goes:
The Computer Manager window of my Windows 7 laptop contains a device
labeled "Canon MX700 Ser" (I have a Canon MX700 multifunction) and
Canon's documentation identifies ScanGear, the one-and-only scanner
driver invoked from MP Navigator Ex (the Canon-supplied scanner
software), as TWAIN-compliant. However, I can also operate the MX700's
scanner from "Windows FAX and Scan," so there must be a WIA-compliant
scanner driver somewhere in the laptop. This begs two questions:
1) Is there just one scanner driver ("Canon MX700 Ser") in the laptop
which is both WIA- and TWAIN-compliant?
2) Or has Canon supplied two scanner drivers, one TWAIN-compliant and
the other WIA-compliant?

Thanks in advance for any help in answering these questions.

I'm using XP Home, and I'm not sure if this is related, but about a year
ago, I suddenly found that I could no longer could scanning with my
Epson 1260. All my imaging programs said "TWAIN driver not found".

I searched and found what appeared to be the appropriate TWAIN driver
(there are at least two), but no matter what I did, it simply didn't
work. [I think it was the same as the one which was on the software that
came with the scanner.] Apparently I'm not the only one suddenly to lose
scanner function, and it is said that this is probably caused by one of
the Windows updates.

By chance, I found that MS Paint and Photoshop 7 (but not 4) offered a
WIA scan. At first sight, it's much more basic than with the Epson
driver - but at least it does the job - so in practice, all is well. So
it might be worth trying MS Paint (which Windows 7 should have - and if
not, I think you can download it free). [Note that my scanner continues
to work as originally (with TWAIN) on a laptop with XP Professional and
on another with Windows 7 Professional.]
--
Ian
Old December 12th 12, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
JRosen

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:18:17 PM UTC-8, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,

JRosen writes

[...]

Thanks the info, but my problem isn't accessing TWAIN or WIA functionality --- I can readily access both capabilities. I'm curious how those capabilites are packaged in my computer: is there just one driver that's both TWAIN- and WIA-compatible, or are there two drivers that separately package those capabilities?

JRosen