Is Seagate into the data selling "business" ?

Old July 25th 18, 03:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Shadow[_2_]

Default Is Seagate into the data selling "business" ?

Bought a 2 TB hard drive. Cloned my offline HD to it, containing all
my personal data. Films, photos, passwords, diary, bank details,
receipts etc. No illegal stuff, just data I don't want to share with
the world. Everyone needs a backup, right ?
Two months later it makes a fizzling sound and I get a "hard drive not
detected".
If I hand it in on warranty, they'll just put another controller on it
and will have all my data, which they can sell for more than the HD
costs to manufacture ...... insert tin hat comments
Second time this has happened in under a year. Both HDs went to the
trashcan.

I'll have to start Truecrypting everything.

Wondering what Lynn does with his HDs that crash after a short time
and contain customer's data. Hand them in for a replacement ? If they
are not encrypted, hope not.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy
action" - Fleming

Very ****ed. FWIW.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old July 25th 18, 07:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 7/25/2018 9:31 AM, Shadow wrote:
[...]

I fix dead or malfunctioning hard drives with a screwdriver pounded into
the vent hole. Then trash them.

Lynn

Old July 26th 18, 12:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Shadow[_2_]

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:29:11 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

[...]

That's a very good policy. Kudos.

[]'s
Old July 29th 18, 12:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

I'll have to start Truecrypting everything.

Yes! It's the way. Just in case the computer gets stolen.

Also, I have my important stuff in a truecrypt file and copy it onto 3
thumb drives which are always in my pocket. You can run tc from a thumb
drive. Only disadvantage is that you have to be in Windows administrator
mode.

My e-mail is in portable thunderbird so I can run it anywhere and have
all the saved messages. I can copy the file between my desktop and netbook.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old July 29th 18, 02:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Ed Light wrote:

I'll have to start Truecrypting everything.

Yes! It's the way. Just in case the computer gets stolen.

Also, I have my important stuff in a truecrypt file and copy it onto 3
thumb drives which are always in my pocket. You can run tc from a thumb
drive. Only disadvantage is that you have to be in Windows administrator
mode.

My e-mail is in portable thunderbird so I can run it anywhere and have
all the saved messages. I can copy the file between my desktop and netbook.

You guys should be using VeraCrypt, the newer fork and with fixes.
https://www.veracrypt.fr
--
Quote of the Week: "Ants never sleep." --Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet
/\___/\Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org / http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ /
( )