Screen wont' turn off

Old September 9th 17, 01:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Boris[_5_]

Default Screen wont' turn off

My wife has a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series, running Windows 10 Home
Premium. It runs well, but...

I've never been able to get the screen to turn off after the preset amount
of time, 10 minutes, or any other time setting. This is true whether the
machine is plugged in or running off of battery.

It also has a backlight keyboard, which stays glowing. Is there a setting
to turn this off after a period of time?

I've looked at Win10 settings (basic and advanced) and Dell power settings,
but nothing seems to work. It's driving me nuts.

TIA
Old September 9th 17, 02:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Paul[_28_]

Boris wrote:
My wife has a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series, running Windows 10 Home
Premium. It runs well, but...

I've never been able to get the screen to turn off after the preset amount
of time, 10 minutes, or any other time setting. This is true whether the
machine is plugged in or running off of battery.

It also has a backlight keyboard, which stays glowing. Is there a setting
to turn this off after a period of time?

I've looked at Win10 settings (basic and advanced) and Dell power settings,
but nothing seems to work. It's driving me nuts.

TIA

The "powercfg" command contains a few tools for analysis.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

If multimedia content is playing, it can block changes in
power state. This prevents a laptop playing a DVD movie,
from "going to sleep" half way through the movie. The laptop
should then play the movie until the battery is flat and it
has to shut down.

Paul

Old September 9th 17, 01:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Ron Hardin

It thinks there's activity. I've never been able to figure out why, on the perhaps
one in ten laptops the condition develops in. If it's a LED display, it won't
matter; but a flourescent light screen will die after a few years when the bulb
fails.

You can turn it off (if the laptop has to remain on) by selecting do nothing when I
close the laptop lid, wherever that option is on your system; and close the lid far
enough to trigger the switch that shuts the light off.

You can turn the monitor off with a program if you have a C compiler

#include windows.h
main() {
sleep(1);
SendMessage(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SYSCOMMAND, SC_MONITORPOWER, (LPARAM) 2);
exit(0);
}

but if it's discovering activity it may (or may not) turn itself back on soon.