Cleaning the CPU

Old September 4th 03, 11:40 AM
Vin

Default Cleaning the CPU

hi there,

i've read the thermal paste installation instructions on the AS3 web site,
it's quite detailed and helpful, but i'm quite confused about the cleaning
of the cpu core/ceramic bit (cleaning the old heatsink doesnt apply to me,
as i'm replacing my stock AMD HSF with the thermalright 700)

how do i safely and properly clean the thermal pad residue from the cpu
core/ceramic? i checked with my local chemist, but he doesnt have any
isopropyl alcohol with him. also it's mentioned that if i use any other
cleaning agent, i'd still need to do a final cleaning with isopropyl
alcohol -- are there any other commonly available cleaning agents that i can
use?

another thing, do you directly dab a tissue paper with a cleaning agent and
then rub away the residue from the core/ceramic of the cpu? or would a
cotton bud be preferable?

thanks,
vin

Old September 4th 03, 11:45 AM
Strontium

I use paper towels.

-
Vin stood up at show-n-tell, in ,

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old September 4th 03, 11:56 AM
Vin

and which cleaning agent?

vin

"Strontium" wrote in message
I use paper towels.

-
Vin stood up at show-n-tell, in

,

Old September 4th 03, 01:14 PM
Strontium

None.

-
Vin stood up at show-n-tell, in ,
and said:

and which cleaning agent?

vin

"Strontium" wrote in message
I use paper towels.

-
Vin stood up at show-n-tell, in

Old September 4th 03, 04:09 PM
Harry

I use isoprophyl and its available from Maplin.co.uk

Use a lint free cloth.

HTH

Harry

Old September 4th 03, 08:02 PM
Joe

As has been
pointed out in previous posts, it's not such a major thing to remove
every atom/particle of old compound, but rather to make sure that the
heatsink/cpu slug is nice and flat with no hard ridges/mounds of old
compound that may stop the HSF laying flat and making good contact. .

Actually i thought the same until i bought some carburator cleaner and
thoughly cleaning the heatsink and then cpu heatsink. Using the same white
paste it reduced my temps by 3 degrees.
btw, to clean the core i sprayed some onto an old t-shirt (now a rag) and
then wiped the core as opposed to spraying on it directly. The cleaner is
pretty strong and would likely be too harsh to apply it directly.
Old September 5th 03, 04:51 AM
AnthonyR

I had read that you should use a fresh heatsink because even though it looks
clean the tiny pores have the melted wax from the pad still in there and it
won't allow the arctic silver to make the best metal to metal contact.
I think it was on the arctic web site, anyway clean the cpu but buy a new
heatsink if you want the best temp reduction.

AnthonyR.

Old September 5th 03, 05:06 AM
David Maynard

AnthonyR wrote:
I had read that you should use a fresh heatsink because even though it looks
clean the tiny pores have the melted wax from the pad still in there and it
won't allow the arctic silver to make the best metal to metal contact.
I think it was on the arctic web site, anyway clean the cpu but buy a new
heatsink if you want the best temp reduction.

That's no reason to buy another heatsink.

AnthonyR.

Old September 5th 03, 05:29 AM
Strontium

Agreed. Hype-bull****, is what it is.

-
David Maynard stood up at show-n-tell, in , and

Old September 5th 03, 06:39 AM
Immuno

I uzez a squirt of WD40 - I duz!

)

Beginning with the supposition that the "pastes" are organic (solvent)
based: in theory any organic solvent ought to do - with differing amounts of
success. I seem to remember from 1st year degree Chemistry the definition of
an "organic solvent" is a bit of a circular question/answer...

However, quickly culled from a research paper (via Google) a list of likely
mineral alcohol solvents, listed in increasing "hydrophobicity" include:

Methanol - meths
Ethanol - IMS, vodka
Isopropanol - car windscreen de-icer
n-Propanol - car windscreen de-icer
Isobutanol - dunno!
n-Butanol - ditto )

The commonly available OTC preparations are seldom, pure and usually
"contaminated" water, dye, other solvents.Hence the thing to be aware of is
that some contaminants may be high molecular weight, and hence non-volatile,
compound which will leave a greasy deposit. So check it out before you use
it, if it dries greasy..... probably best not used.

Other "ketone" solvents like the two below are potentially OK, but they are
also very good at dissolving plastic!

Acetone - nail varnish remover
Methyl ethyl ketone - paint/tar remover

Ester solvents, similarly are fine but they will also chew-up plastic and
are more likely to contain greasy components.
Methyl acetate - paint thinners
Ethyl acetate - paint thinners, paint/tar remover

"White Spirit" is generally medium chain alkane (petroleum) based i.e..
heptane/octane/nonane/decane. It can, and will be, contaminated with any
an/or all of the above compounds as well as higher molecular weight
alkanes - greases.

The alcohols and some ketones are generally water-miscible so they ought to
remove water soluble traces too.

HTH

Pete

.....still like to use WD40 though - but ensure I wipe off every last trace!

cleaning TFT screens Christo General 8 January 31st 05 12:42 AM
Cleaning a screen - use spray polish or microfibre? S.Heenan General 5 October 18th 04 07:04 PM
Cleaning a processor Richard Bailey Overclocking AMD Processors 3 August 14th 04 01:58 AM
Help please - Monitor (CRT) Cleaning p General 6 September 30th 03 12:07 PM
cleaning out harddrive Dwayne Epps General 3 August 25th 03 11:29 PM