HP Deskjet 1220 Cleaning Kit problem

Old November 4th 04, 05:50 PM
Matti Partonen

Default HP Deskjet 1220 Cleaning Kit problem

My 2 year old Deskjet 1220 has little by little gone more selective as
to what papers it accepts; today it does not feed any photo papers.

HP offers a solution for this: the cleaning kit C2678-60116.

Today I finally suceeded in obtaining such a kit, and started to
follow the step by step instructions how to use it. Step 1 was easy
(peel off the protective layer from the cleaning sheet), so was step 2
(load the cleaning sheet into the printer).

Step 3 (Press and release the RESUME button once) got me stumped. This
is supposed to tell the printer to pick up the sheet. But my printer
does not seem to know that: it does nothing, absolutely nothing! If I
hold the button down a while, things begin to happen: the cleaning
paper goes in, the printer prints on its bakcside a page that
advertises the excellence of the printer, but as the cleaning sheet is
too short, printing continues beyond the paper edge spraying ink to
the interiors. Not exactly what I wish to do.

In other contexts, the RESUME button works as documented.

So, what is the correct procedure to apply the cleaning kit to Deskjet
1220? Any other way to fix the selective paper feed? The pickup
rollers are not easily accessible, and HP does not provide any service
for this model in my country.

Is Bob Headrick still listening this group? You have been of
significant help before, maybe still?

Matti P.
Old November 5th 04, 03:29 AM
Bob Headrick

"Matti Partonen" wrote in message
om...
Step 3 (Press and release the RESUME button once) got me stumped. This
is supposed to tell the printer to pick up the sheet. But my printer
does not seem to know that: it does nothing, absolutely nothing!

snip]
So, what is the correct procedure to apply the cleaning kit to Deskjet
1220? Any other way to fix the selective paper feed? The pickup
rollers are not easily accessible, and HP does not provide any service
for this model in my country.

I just tried this and it does not work on the DeskJet 1220 as it did on the
1120. On the 1120 pressing the paper feed button would move paper to the load
position, and pressing it again would eject the page.

As for a workaround, if you are connected via the parallel port you might try
the following:
Boot into DOS, then type the following:
Copy CON: LPT1: cr
cr
(repeat the carriage returns to move the paper slowly through the printer)
Control-Z

Run the paper through a few times.

If you are running XP or are connected via USB and do not have the option of
printing to the parallel port through DOS you might try printing a slow page -
load the paper, then from your favorite program make a file that has a thin
line down each side of the page. Now go into the driver and select photo paper
as the paper type and print the page. This should print the page slowly. You
may need to give the cleaning sheet a nudge the first time or two to make sure
it loads properly.

Regards,

Old November 5th 04, 07:14 AM
Matti Partonen

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, I'll try this as soon as I get home today.

Are you in a position to suggest that the instructions on the HP web site how to
use the cleaning kit should be updated? That would seem to be necessary.

Matti P.

Old November 6th 04, 04:45 AM
Bob Headrick

"Matti Partonen" wrote in message

Are you in a position to suggest that the instructions on the HP web site how
use the cleaning kit should be updated? That would seem to be necessary.

Yes, I will pass on to the right people. Let me know if my suggestion worked,
it would make a better story to get the page updated if I had a verified
alternative.

Regards,

Old November 9th 04, 08:16 PM
Matti Partonen

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message ...
"Matti Partonen" wrote in message

Are you in a position to suggest that the instructions on the HP web site how
use the cleaning kit should be updated? That would seem to be necessary.

Yes, I will pass on to the right people. Let me know if my suggestion worked,
it would make a better story to get the page updated if I had a verified
alternative.

Regards,

It is hard to say if the suggestion worked or not.

Yes, the document with two vertical lines at left and right of the
paper caused the cleaning sheet to pass slowly through. I did it
several times. So far OK.

No, there was no significant change in the way the printer handles
paper: no photo papers can be used. The printer feeds the paper 2-3
inches, starts printing, but from now on the paper does not move
anywhere. When I remove the paper, it appears that its leading edge
has not reached the position where the printheads move: no ink on the
paper. Tried with HP Premium Plus and with a non-HP paper.

There is no problem at all in feeding standard office paper.

Using the rear feed might be a way to print photos, if only the rear
feed worked. But I have not been able to figure out a way to get it
work.

Matti P.
Old November 11th 04, 01:04 AM
Bob Headrick

"Matti Partonen" wrote in message
om...

No, there was no significant change in the way the printer handles
paper: no photo papers can be used. The printer feeds the paper 2-3
inches, starts printing, but from now on the paper does not move
anywhere. When I remove the paper, it appears that its leading edge
has not reached the position where the printheads move: no ink on the
paper. Tried with HP Premium Plus and with a non-HP paper.

There is no problem at all in feeding standard office paper.

You might try cleaning the rollers manually. Unplug the printer. In the rear
there is a large (panel with a knob in the center marked "locked" and
"unlocked" with icons. Unlock this panel and remove it. You will not have
access to the back half of the feed rollers. Clean each roller with a damp
cloth, then gently rotate the roller to expose additional uncleaned area.
After cleaning the rollers completely replace the back panel, making sure to
lock it firmly in place.

Regards,

Mouse Problem Jeff Homebuilt PC's 0 October 1st 04 06:44 AM
HP Deskjet 5550 driver and USB problem Larry Wade Printers 1 May 6th 04 02:41 AM
Deskjet 420 Problem brackets Printers 3 May 2nd 04 10:14 AM
HP Deskjet 1120C Problem Robin Dominik Havre Printers 0 April 5th 04 12:51 AM
HP550: Problem with tri-color print cartridge DCO Printers 2 February 11th 04 09:51 PM