nozzle cleaning on ESCs 760, 860, 1160

Old December 18th 05, 03:01 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default nozzle cleaning on ESCs 760, 860, 1160

On my Epson Stylus Color 760, 860 & 1160 printers, (which I've been
using for years -- real workhorses) after changing carts when they
indicate empty, I need to perform one or more head cleaning cycles in
order to get an OK nozzle check. It often takes a few cleaning cycles
to get this completely clean nozzle check indicating that all nozzles
are firing.

I know these printers can perform 3 kinds of cleaning at different
intensities, which one the printer chooses being determined by them
according to their own built-in logic. Sometimes the lowest intensity
cleaning cycle doesn't completely clear all the nozzles, but in every
case the higher intensity cycle (which I can tell is running because of
the difference in the sounds the printer emits) always does work.

My question is: Is there is any control sequence (using console
buttons or keyboard -- other than having to start the DOS "service
program" that's on the utility diskette I have) to force the more
agressive cleaning sequence immediately instead of having to progress
through the weaker cleaning cycles first to get to the second level
cycle that always works? Or is there a macro that can be set up to do
this? The amount of ink usage in performing the cleaning cycles isn't a
problem. Or should this not even be attempted for some reason or other?

Any help or advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe D
Dolice Graphics
New York City

Old December 19th 05, 11:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Joe D wrote:

[...]

Maybe they use less aggressive cycles in order to save ink?
But then again they are selling ink sigh

Lou