Windows XP does not "see" my new hard drive

Old September 23rd 06, 11:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Stephen Clark

Default Windows XP does not "see" my new hard drive

My PC has two hard drives. I have replaced my old Western Digital 20GB
(slave) drive with an 80GB ExcelStor drive, which I still want to be the
slave. The BIOS on the PC recognises the new hard drive correctly and it is
listed as by the Device Manager as a ExcelStor Technology J88. BUT in
Windoes Explorer the drive is NOT listed.

I have tried varies jumper settings but these either don't make any
difference or the PC won't boot. The jumper settings refer to 16 logical or
15 logical head configurations.

The controller is on the Intel D850MV motherboad.

Can anyone suggest how to go about getting Windoes XP to allow me to use
this new drive? Thanks.

Old September 23rd 06, 12:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Odie Ferrous

Stephen Clark wrote:

My PC has two hard drives. I have replaced my old Western Digital 20GB
(slave) drive with an 80GB ExcelStor drive

Very bad move. Old WD drives are useless, but you have taken ten steps
backwards.

Excelstor typically buy up drives with failed heads and "repair" them.

Standard practice: buy a 160GB drive with a failed head, and "cut" it to
80GB and sell it as an 80GB drive.

How on earth they are actually allowed to sell their products is beyond
me. I often slate Maxtor drives, but Excelstor are cataclysmically
shaky.

Spend an extra £10 / $20 and get a proper drive. Your Excelstor drive
*will* fail.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old September 23rd 06, 01:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Odie Ferrous wrote:
Stephen Clark wrote:

My PC has two hard drives. I have replaced my old Western Digital 20GB
(slave) drive with an 80GB ExcelStor drive

Very bad move. Old WD drives are useless, but you have taken ten steps
backwards.

Excelstor typically buy up drives with failed heads and "repair" them.

Urgh! Now there is a borderline criminal business model. We need
a crime like "willfull endangerment of data by selling known to
be defective data storage equipment" ....

Standard practice: buy a 160GB drive with a failed head, and "cut"
it to 80GB and sell it as an 80GB drive.

No matter what particles from the failed head are floating around
inside the drive....

How on earth they are actually allowed to sell their products is
beyond me. I often slate Maxtor drives, but Excelstor are
cataclysmically shaky.

Spend an extra £10 / $20 and get a proper drive. Your Excelstor
drive *will* fail.

I allways wonderd where their drives came from. Good to know.

Arno

Old September 23rd 06, 02:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Odie Ferrous

Arno Wagner wrote:

I allways wonderd where their drives came from. Good to know.

They chop and change, but I do know that favourites of theirs two years
ago included Western Digital and IBM Deskstars....

Odie
Old September 23rd 06, 07:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
RACEMAN

"Stephen Clark" wrote in message
My PC has two hard drives. I have replaced my old Western Digital 20GB
(slave) drive with an 80GB ExcelStor drive, which I still want to be the
slave. The BIOS on the PC recognises the new hard drive correctly and it
is listed as by the Device Manager as a ExcelStor Technology J88. BUT in
Windoes Explorer the drive is NOT listed.

I have tried varies jumper settings but these either don't make any
difference or the PC won't boot. The jumper settings refer to 16 logical
or 15 logical head configurations.

The controller is on the Intel D850MV motherboad.

Can anyone suggest how to go about getting Windoes XP to allow me to use
this new drive? Thanks.

If you still want to use the drive, have you gone into drive management
under administrative tools to see if it's there and format it?