Acer computer - Mini tower. How upgradable are they.

Old April 21st 07, 03:52 PM posted to comp.hardware
Don Malone

Default Acer computer - Mini tower. How upgradable are they.

I just acquired an Acer Aspire E380 as a combo. Nice 19" wide screen
LCD hich now belongs to my wife.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=product&produ
ctCategoryId=pcmcat112200050017&id=1171671628685

Link shows the model purchased.

It has a small power supply (250 watt) which is supposed to take an
after marker unit just fine, and needs a graphics card to get the most
out of it. I am still trying to figure out which motherboard it has and
its upgrade potential.

My question is, does anyone here have any experiences with upgrading an
Acer unit and does it use proprietary parts like a dell does?

Thanks for your time.
Don

Old April 26th 07, 12:48 AM posted to comp.hardware
Don Malone

The Henchman wrote:

My question is, does anyone here have any experiences with
upgrading an Acer unit and does it use proprietary parts like a
dell does?

Thanks for your time.
Don

Why do you ask?

The comp is new. I just wonder is it only as good as it is now or is it
effective to upgrade (to a point) the unit. I really should have built
one but the combo was to good to pass up. At one time Dell's used parts
that were (supposedly) replaceable only with Dell parts. Items like
power supplies, mother boards and what not.

I guess it really does not mater except for I now have to upgrade the
power supply; to add a PCIx graphics card as it only came with a 250W
power supply. I was told the power supply was a standard size and
started to wonder about the other upgrade items, like the mother board.

I am also still trying to find out the maximum chip that the mother
board will handle. Unfortunantly; I have had little luck identifying
the MB.

So guess I'm just curious. It won't really change anything either way.

Don