Does anyone know what this component does?

Old July 31st 04, 06:17 PM
Fredrik Hofgren

Default Does anyone know what this component does?

Greetings all

Today when I removed my ASUS V9280 Geforce 4 Ti to adjust the memiry
coolers a component from the card just fell away. The part in question
has a duplicate shown by 1 and the one that fell away is supposed to
be at 2.

Photo at: http://www.student.itn.liu.se/~freho...r/PICT0739.JPG

Curious as I am I took the card, after failing to solder the part back
on, and stuck it into a less delicate(read expensive) computer than it
came from. Guess what! The card still worked as far as I could tell,
Windows XP booted ok without any odd messages, I did however not do
any stress tests like gaming and so on.

Very strange.
What is the part doing? Something related to the memory I suppose
judging from the placement on the card and its twin by the other
memory bank.

Anyone have any idea?

Regards
Fredrik
Old July 31st 04, 06:58 PM
Mike Walsh

Probably a filter capacitor. If the leads broke off the old one you can replace it with a similar capacitor. It does not have to be an exact match.

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old August 1st 04, 01:55 AM
NeoRenegade

Fredrik Hofgren wrote:

[...]

The important value to match would be the capacitance value, which is
probably marked in microFarads (uF).

- NR
Old August 1st 04, 02:17 AM
Ron Cook

Old August 2nd 04, 08:36 PM
Fredrik Hofgren

(Fredrik Hofgren) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Thanks for the input guys.
After closer inspection and some slodering attempts it was apparent
that a small portion of the PCB had fallen away with the
component/capacitor making any amateur soldering impossible. I donīt
dare use it in my computer so I guess itīll end up in the trash or in
the pile for "things that can be used as beer coasters"
Some notes finally. The card has been used with a water cooler block
for about half a year now, and the memory chips were fitted with heat
sinks to make up for the lost air circulation, maybe the altered heat
flow doomed the PCB.

Regards again.
/Fredrik