Building PC, to floppy or not to floppy?

Old July 22nd 03, 08:37 AM
Ben Pope

NoRemorse wrote:
Copying a paper (five minutes from the deadline) from my laptop to a
school computer, so I can print it out.

Quicker over a network. If you or your school is not connected, shame on
you/them.

Ben

Old July 22nd 03, 08:39 AM
Ben Pope

R_Supp wrote:
It can be embarrasing to save your MYOB stuff to a USB device then
have your accountant tell you he can`t use it and in the meantime you
are paying in excess of a hundred bucks an hour for his services.
Kind of makes the floppy drive look good.

Kind of makes your 100 bucks an hour accountant look crap for not investing
in a 50bucks 6in1 card reader.

Ben

Old July 22nd 03, 08:41 AM
Ben Pope

jaeger wrote:
Am I the only one here who's paying any attention? I already noted
that interfacing with archaic machines is a unique reason, albeit one
that has no bearing on this discussion if you go back and read the
original post.

"I have a LAN and the other computers have floppies"

Guess you're not paying attention.

:-)

Ben

Old July 23rd 03, 01:13 AM
ELVIS2000

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:34:37 GMT, "Scott"
wrote:

I'm considering not putting a floppy drive in my new computer. I have a LAN
and the other computers have floppies. Anyone see a reason why I should
include one? Thanks.
-- Scott

Only $8 and you never know...
Old July 23rd 03, 10:15 AM
Nom

"Scott" wrote in message
et...
I'm considering not putting a floppy drive in my new computer. I have a

LAN
and the other computers have floppies. Anyone see a reason why I should
include one? Thanks.

They cost £5 - why NOT include one ? You don't lose anything by having one !

Old July 23rd 03, 02:11 PM
Dodgy

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 07:16:45 GMT, jaeger waffled
on about something:

In article ,
says...

Adding 3rd party hard disk drivers or raid drivers during setup

You can add the drivers to a custom WinXP CD. In fact, this is the
smart way to do it since you can add all your drivers, plus you can set
the switches so that you don't have to babysit the install.

System recovery using partition magic, nortons, others.

Partition Magic will recover from the install CD. Ghost is crap unless
you do enterprise deployment, but the image disc itself is bootable.

Fine if the floppy-less pc isn't you're only pc... But if it is you're
gonna have a few problems making that CD. :-D

I must admit I very very rarely use a floppy, but at times it's useful
for...

- Bios update
- Transferring a few files to a machine that's not on the network
(usually it's the NIC drivers I'm transferring and assuming it's not a
Intel 20meg driver package, I still can't bring myself to waste a CD
on 300K of drivers!)

Only the other night a friend asked me to help him install win2k onto
a brand new machine he was building which had a sata hard drive...
Needless to say an F6 3rd party drivers install was required and the
drivers he had on the supplied CD just didn't work... A quick download
from the net on my laptop and a floppy disk later... tada... working.
No cdr on my laptop, and I wouldn't for less that a floppies worth of
temp files anyway!

My question back to you would have to be...

Why waste a CDR on 1.4meg of files that are only going to be required
for 2 minutes and never wanted again?

Final thought - You know there's never a CDR about when you want one,
but you can always find a floppy... Usually in the box the CDROM came
in...

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES