Chaintech Ti4600 went bad

Old September 5th 03, 01:19 PM
SST

Default Chaintech Ti4600 went bad

After just about a year, a clients Ti4600 went bad. Slowly it started
showing 2D corruption. After testing it in a couple of other machines I
concurred it was the card and as time want on it got worse till it not will
not boot.

Physically there is no damage. The board and components are clean and odor
free.

Problem is that I glued aluminum heatsinks to the GPU and memory when it was
new. Knowing I would be voiding warrantee. I have never had an Nvidia or ATI
card go bad on me so I never expected to have to replace it within the 1st
year (during my warrantee to my client).

I already replaced it with a Radeon 9600 pro, client is thrilled!

However, I would like to do something with this card before I toss it.

Has anyone ever sent a video card to Chaintech for diagnosis and repair? I
have never dealt with them before.

Old September 5th 03, 01:27 PM
Eddie Grant

Problem is that I glued aluminum heatsinks to the GPU and memory when it

was
new.

err.....WHY?

Old September 5th 03, 09:54 PM
ST

Because I over clocked the hell out of it and the stock heatsinks were
holding it back, the ones I put on helped.

Old September 5th 03, 10:02 PM
Eddie Grant

"ST" wrote in message
et...
Because I over clocked the hell out of it and the stock heatsinks were
holding it back, the ones I put on helped.

And you're now complaining its broken, after taking it WAY past its limits?

Old September 5th 03, 10:55 PM
TomG

not throwing this in your face but why would the manufacturer help you with
the card when you not only glued foreign heat sinks on it but overclocked
the hell out of it (your words) as well?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"ST" wrote in message
et...
It's what the client wanted and nobody is complaining. Please re-read the
original post.

"Eddie Grant" wrote in message

et...

Old September 6th 03, 02:41 AM
Helion

Especially when there is no reason to OC a TI4600 in the 1st place. If
your "client" wanted it overclocked I would have said sure, you (the client)
can go for it and removed myself from any liability at that point. Why you
would warrant a card that YOU overclocked is beyond belief, better luck with
your future business transactions. As far as your question all you can do
is try with Chaintech. They are mainly a OEM manufacturer who only recently
even sold retail, depending on the source of your card, they may refer you
to a distributor for any RMA/Warranty coverage.

"TomG" wrote in message
not throwing this in your face but why would the manufacturer help you

with
the card when you not only glued foreign heat sinks on it but overclocked
the hell out of it (your words) as well?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"ST" wrote in message
et...
It's what the client wanted and nobody is complaining. Please re-read

the
original post.

"Eddie Grant" wrote in message

et...

Old September 6th 03, 04:22 AM
SST

Did I say I lost any money? You assumed so for whatever reason.

There are plenty of sites they sell overclocked video cards, take a look
it's nothing new.

Oh and why overclock a Ti4600? Because you can and its fun and it gave up
about 15% more performance.

The clients not ****ed off either.

Wow you guys need to relax and try just answering someone questions instead
of wasting my time with nonsense opinion and rhetoric.

"TomG" wrote in message
not throwing this in your face but why would the manufacturer help you

with
the card when you not only glued foreign heat sinks on it but

overclocked
the hell out of it (your words) as well?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"ST" wrote in message
et...
It's what the client wanted and nobody is complaining. Please re-read

the
original post.

"Eddie Grant" wrote in message

et...

Old September 6th 03, 04:22 AM
SST

MANY manufactures offer repair service.

Epox will repair your modified board for a small fee and generally if they
can't fix it, they will offer you a replacement (usually refurbished) for a
very low price.
Its good business practice.

Overclocking is not so nasty, what do you think the differences are between
a Ti4200, 4400 and 4600 GPU? A 4600 will clock higher within a margin of
error over a 4200 - that's how it became a 4600 and not a 4200. Same goes
for CPU lots. If a particular lot of CPU's are yielding a higher clock
within a margin set by the manufacturer then they are stamped and sold as
such. If the lot doesn't then they become another.

Overclocking is running a unit over spec which is a relative place set by
the maker.

"TomG" wrote in message
not throwing this in your face but why would the manufacturer help you

with
the card when you not only glued foreign heat sinks on it but overclocked
the hell out of it (your words) as well?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"ST" wrote in message
et...
It's what the client wanted and nobody is complaining. Please re-read

the
original post.

"Eddie Grant" wrote in message

et...

Old September 6th 03, 04:58 AM
Helion

NDid I say I lost any money? You assumed so for whatever reason.

Number 1, if you gave customer a 9600... you lost money and wont be in
business very long if you actually are in the first place.

Wow you guys need to relax and try just answering someone questions

instead
of wasting my time with nonsense opinion and rhetoric

Number 2, have you considered the fact YOUR wasting OUR time with a very
obvious mistake on your part and that our Magic 8 Ball is somehow going to
predicit how Chaintech responds?

Number 3, wether you choose to overclock or not is your business, but no
sane person would warrant such card for a year then post a message in this
newsgroup that cannot be properly answered.