Broadband Set up

Old May 8th 04, 08:35 PM
Matt Newman

Default Broadband Set up

Hi All

I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
www.e7even.com
on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).
They are offering a 1 port Professional Modem - Origo ASR-8100 which
can be viewed he
https://www.e7even.com/cgi-bin/store...&cat=Broadband
free as part of the package.
I already own a planet dh-2400 network hub, and have the house wired to the
main rooms for wired network.
Will this modem/router be suitable, plugged into the hub to give multi use
access to the internet?
Also, I have no use for wireless just yet, but if I did in the future, could
I purchase something to add to the hub and to the pc/laptop that i require
wireless for?

Hope you all understand. I just want to make sure this kit will work as I
want before I purchase.My other alternative I have seen was a Belkin
all-in-one box from Dabs at £75.00ish.

Manty thanks in advance

Matt

Old May 8th 04, 09:19 PM
Dave C.

"Matt Newman" wrote in message
[...]

OK, a hub is a passive component. IF your DSL works through it, you would
only be able to use one computer at a time on your DSL connection. What you
want is a broadband sharing router with 802.11g wireless capability and
802.11b backward compatibility. One such product is linked to below. For
each laptop, you would want to buy a 802.11b or 802.11g access card for it,
also. (2nd link) Note that I linked to these products as an example only,
I'm not sure if they are available in the UK or even if they'd work in the
UK. But you should be able to find similar products quite easily.
Depending on how many computers you want to use, you might not need the hub
at all. For example, most routers have at least 3 wired ports and
capability to handle several wireless access cards as well. So unless
you've got more than ~7 computers in your house, the hub would probably be
redundant. But you could use the hub with the router to add more wired
connections, if necessary. -Dave

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...odID=174&view=
http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...rodID=91&view=

Old May 8th 04, 11:17 PM
BigJIm

forget the hub, get a wireless router, wireless routers can be wired and
wireless so in the future you want to
go wireless you are set

Old May 8th 04, 11:50 PM
MtM

1. Yes, the cable modem should work
2. You should get a router: cable modem hooked to cable, router hooked to
cable modem, and ethernet coming out of cable modem to hub, computers, etc.
This is in my opinion a requirement for broadband security -- preferably
look for a router/firewall. I run a small computer service business, and
this is the cause of most home user's problems -- lack of minimal home
security measures.
3. You can get an "access point" for wireless. Plug it into either the
router or hub (whichever is more central in your home). Then if/when you
get a laptop or wireless NIC, you can pursue the configuration of the
wireless network.

Old May 9th 04, 09:41 AM
the gnome

WARNING

Be very careful which Router Wireless or other that you purchase.

I guess you will be connecting via a BT phone line.

In this case you need an ADSL modem/Router that can handle PPPoA

Many sold via PC World and via the online shops are aimed at Cable (NTL,
Telewest) customers and will not work with a BT line. The cheapest wired
ADSL router I am aware of is from DABS at about £30 quid (DABS value
connexant 1 port router) this would plug into your current router and work
fine, but the setup may be a little more tricky than normal.

To replace your current router with wireless then I think you will be
looking close to £100 depending on features.

the_gnome

Old May 9th 04, 01:04 PM
MtM

Dave,

He owns a hub, why trash it? I have my firewall router in one room
connected to my modem, a switch in another (serving two computers), and a
hub in the living room (serving a computer and a wireless access point),
giving me much more upgrade and network configuration options.

You are right about the hub, he might not have realized it offers no
firewall protection at all, since he called it a router in his first
posting.

He isn't ready to go wireless yet, so I think the firewall router is the
most important purchase and the only one needed at this point, for
protection and easy networking of other computers. But, even with ONE
computer, it should be installed for the protection features alone.

And he will be happy with 802.11b, in my opinion, unless he plans on moving
large files all the time, but 802.11g is the future...

mtm

Old May 9th 04, 01:12 PM
Dave C.

"newbie" wrote in message
It sounds like you might know what you are talking about. The second
item (laptop card), doesn't say it can be used on WindowsXP. Do you
know why it would be usable with all the other windows os's and not
XP?

Thanks.

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod...rodID=91&view=

Oh, I see what you mean. In the specs, they list every OS except XP. Not
to worry. If you go to the link below, it specifically says it was designed
for Windows XP (in the logo off to the side). It would seem that it's
backward compatible with every other Windows OS, also. And if you go to
the second link, they have a ton of drivers including XP certified drivers
and red hat linux drivers! So it looks like that one should work on just
about any laptop with a Type II PCMCIA slot, regardless of OS. -Dave

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MA401.php?view=
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products...atic/MA401.asp

Old May 10th 04, 10:33 PM
Richard Kawamura

I believe you are right. The Professional Modem - Origo ASR-8100 should
take care of routing the IP packets. There is a note here
(http://lists.virus.org/bugtraq-0310/msg00198.html) about being attacked
remotely with a (reset to factory default.) You might check with your cable
company about this. But to get back to your question. You should be able
to just connect the modem to your hub and share the internet. There are
issues with firewall protection and virus protection. Do a lot of home work
and check it out.

Aloha,
Richard

Old May 12th 04, 05:58 PM
CWatters

"Matt Newman" wrote in message
Hi All

I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
www.e7even.com
on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).

It must be a good deal to pay so much so far in advance? Won't prices come
down? What happens if they go bust?

Old May 14th 04, 02:42 AM
daytripper

On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:58:46 GMT, "CWatters"
wrote:

"Matt Newman" wrote in message
Hi All

I am just about to subscribe to broadband through
www.e7even.com
on their biennial 1Mb package (at £640.00 for the 2 years).

It must be a good deal to pay so much so far in advance? Won't prices come
down?

BWAAHAHAHHHA! We found the missing optimist ;-)

What happens if they go bust?

They'll get swallowed by a bigger fish, who likely has to honor the contract?

/daytripper