Yahoooooo!!! I got it! 6800 GT is IN!

Old March 3rd 05, 10:22 AM
McGrandpa

"Sharanga Dayananda" wrote in message

McGrandpa wrote:
"Sharanga Dayananda" wrote in message

It would look the same, its the same core, just at a higher clock
with more pipelines enabled. there'll be a few more memory chips
though. Stonking cards, most overclock to ultra speeds. I've got a
leadtek
6800GT and can play anything as high as my monitor can go
(1280x1024) with AA and AF all cranked up with no problems

Ah, but can you play "The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher
Bay The Developers' Cut" in pixel shader 2.0++ mode at this res? I
have a 6600 GT and it runs fine in 2.0 mode at 1280, but crank it up
to 2.0++ mode and 'tis only just playable at 640x480.

But that's what the 256 megs DDR3 and 16 pixel pipes and 6 texture
pipes are about

You have 8 pixel pipes, 128 megs DDR3 clocked at 250 for 500 and 128
bit data path. 300 mHz core.

The 6800 GT has 16 pixel pipes, 256 megs DDR3 clocked at 500 for 1
gHz and 256 bit data path. 350 mHz core.

the 6600 bandwidth is 8 gbps and the 6800 GT is 32 gbps.

I don't have Riddick so cannot say that the 6800 GT will handle
that with no probs, but I'd venture that it would. It is running
Doom3 in Ultra quality settings at 1280x1024 with no problems!
Well, I have some more games to go crank settings up on and check
out. IL2+AEP+PF merged, Half-Life2, TR:AoD. I'll be busy for a
little while! McG.

Yeah but the 6800 GT costs $400 and and 6600 GT costs a measly $200. I
really can't afford to spend that kinda cash on a GPU at the moment.
Back in the GF4 Ti days, the Ti4200 was only a wee bit slower than the
Ti4600, but quite a bit cheaper. But these days the top end cards are
in a 5 * universe of their own.

I still have my Ti4600. And FX5900. Both were $400. My 8500-128 was
$200 and 9800 Pro was $250. My eVGA 6800 (plain) was $300. Yes, my
eVGA 6800 GT was $400.
Something I've seen over several years concerning video cards. IF they
stay on the market long enough, the prices do come down. However, both
ATI and Nvidia have a rather large selection/variety of products. Some
end up getting pulled out of production and disappear forever, their
price never dropping. The only one of my vid cards that wasn't ever one
of the top dogs (always start at $400 or more) was the plain 6800 at
$300. The 6800's have been out now for what, a year? And I'm just
now getting into them. The 6800 and 6800 GT haven't dropped a penny in
price since they came out. The 6600's have dropped some, and they're
much newer. And, yes, they're more in the economy bracket.

The eVGA 6800-128 is an economy card. It is literally a crippled
6800GT with half the ram. I say that and stand on it from first hand
experience. I have both these cards right here. There is a huge
difference in performance with the 6800 GT, in any of the major DX9
games I have. I knew there would be some difference with the GT having
all the pipes working and twice the ram and faster clocks. I was hoping
there would be enough difference to justify the $100 higher price tag.
Of all the DX9 games I have (not that many really), Doom3 is definitely
the one that will push the vid card the hardest. You cannot convice or
force the game to run with Ultra quality in res higher than 1024x768
with only 128 megs of video ram. I finally ran Ultra quality settings
in 1280x1024 with the 6800 GT. Know what? That mode needs an even
faster CPU, GPU and Ram than I have to be perfectly smooth!!!!! But it
does do it, and it looks amazing.
So, from what I've seen personally, I think you haven't seen how good
the graphics can be in Doom3, not if you're using a 6600GT.
So is there enough difference in the 6800GT to be worth the higher
price? Hell yes. This is the card I really wanted, but it wasn't
available anywhere without getting on a waiting list. I still had to
wait a week for my guy to get it.

Why not give Riddick a go? 'tis got excellent graphics, gameplay,
sound, ambience and the PC version has two extra levels, a developer's
commentary (yawn) and bonus imaes and no I'm not getting paid to
promote it. Just a somewhat happy (@640x480 ) camper.

Have fun with yer gaming.

Working on it!

BTW, my 6600 GT has memory clock speeds of 500/500(1000 GDDR3) MHz for
GPU and memory not 300/250(500), but as you said it does have only
half the vertex and pixel functional units.

Yeah, the 6600 core runs at 500. Its built to be what it is, nothing is
'crippled' there. It's simply a different core than the 6800 is.
Obviously, it's a better card than all of the last generation cards,
including the ATI 9800's and Nv FX5xxx cards. And it's half the cost of
that generation too!
http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm for specs on all these 3D chips.
Just a handy reference is all.

McG.

Old March 3rd 05, 03:59 PM
rms

Why not give Riddick a go? 'tis got excellent graphics, gameplay,
sound, ambience and the PC version has two extra levels, a developer's
commentary (yawn) and bonus imaes and no I'm not getting paid to
promote it. Just a somewhat happy (@640x480 ) camper.

Working on it!

There is no visual difference in Riddick between Shader2.0++ and 2.0,
except that 2.0++ runs about 40% slower. At the 2.0 setting it is slightly
more of a system hog than Doom3, so I played it through at 1280x1024,
instead of 16x12 in Doom3. This is on a 6800gt + .

rms

Old March 3rd 05, 06:00 PM
First of One

You wouldn't happen to have an SLI-capable motherboard?...

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
news
IN the rig that is. I am amazed it looks almost identical to my
6800-128. Now I gotta find some benches to run...like Doom3! eVGA
eGeforce 6800 GT-256 meg. ))
McG.

Old March 3rd 05, 07:13 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

There is no visual difference in Riddick between Shader2.0++ and 2.0,
except that 2.0++ runs about 40% slower.

Well I've tried changing settings while in the game and I can notice a
difference. The bump mapping and the shadowing is much better in 2.0++
mode. 'tis more than 40% slower on my 6600 GT. I have to go down several
resolutions to play it.

At the 2.0 setting it is slightly
more of a system hog than Doom3, so I played it through at 1280x1024,
instead of 16x12 in Doom3. This is on a 6800gt + .

Was this in 2.0++ mode?
Old March 3rd 05, 07:45 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

So, from what I've seen personally, I think you haven't seen how good
the graphics can be in Doom3, not if you're using a 6600GT.

Proly not. The thing is Doom3 became somewhat predictable, "pick up
power and walk backwards, wait for closet monster to materialise." I
found it kinda cheap actually. I played it on the high setting and
wasn't really all that impressed. If you take Riddick in its highest
quality mode just about every texture is bump mapped and it makes for a
rich environment. The models in Doom 3 are very detailed, but the walls
of the corridors and stuff are just plain vanilla textures (though high
res) and I wasn't really impressed. But then I didn't really play Doom
for very long.

So is there enough difference in the 6800GT to be worth the higher
price? Hell yes. This is the card I really wanted, but it wasn't
available anywhere without getting on a waiting list. I still had to
wait a week for my guy to get it.

You only get what you pay for.

http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm for specs on all these 3D chips.
Just a handy reference is all.

That's a handy chart. Ta. They seem to be missing the Ti4200 128 MB
AGPx8 and the GF6 6610 from the nVidia camp. I've never actually heard
much about the 6610 apart from the fact that 'twas an OEM card.
Old March 4th 05, 01:02 AM
DaveL

Riddick does not look as good as Doom3 on my ATI 9600XT. And so far I don't
like Riddick as a game either. Maybe I got spoiled by HL2 but I got bored
of shooting at security guards while they cussed me out. At least it was
cheap at $20 on sale at CircuitCity.

DaveL

McGrandpa wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but Riddick has better graphics than Doom III. My 6600 GT can run
Doom 3 fine, but not Riddick.

Old March 4th 05, 04:33 AM
McGrandpa

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
news
IN the rig that is. I am amazed it looks almost identical to my
6800-128. Now I gotta find some benches to run...like Doom3! eVGA
eGeforce 6800 GT-256 meg. ))
McG.

Er...nope That's PCI Express only. I have a GA-8IPE1000-G mobo.
1 AGP 4x-8x slot.
McG.

Old March 4th 05, 04:44 AM
McGrandpa

"Sharanga Dayananda" wrote in message

So, from what I've seen personally, I think you haven't seen how
good the graphics can be in Doom3, not if you're using a 6600GT.

Proly not. The thing is Doom3 became somewhat predictable, "pick up
power and walk backwards, wait for closet monster to materialise." I
found it kinda cheap actually. I played it on the high setting and
wasn't really all that impressed. If you take Riddick in its highest
quality mode just about every texture is bump mapped and it makes for
a rich environment. The models in Doom 3 are very detailed, but the
walls of the corridors and stuff are just plain vanilla textures
(though high res) and I wasn't really impressed. But then I didn't
really play Doom for very long.

I finished it. Did a lot of listening too, in this game. There is a
lot to be heard. All kinds of weird noises. The machinery isn't just a
lot of repetitive texturing, I was happy about that. For it being a
modular base, I thought it pretty varied. There IS a certain sort of
sameness to the whole base. That's by design. Hell was a much more
interesting...and active...place.

So is there enough difference in the 6800GT to be worth the higher
price? Hell yes. This is the card I really wanted, but it wasn't
available anywhere without getting on a waiting list. I still had to
wait a week for my guy to get it.

You only get what you pay for.

Yep. So my son gets a 6800-128 and I get the old 9800 PRo back to put
in one of the other kids rigs They all like it when I upgrade.
Meantime, I did get the 6800 GT and am happy with it

http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm for specs on all these 3D
chips. Just a handy reference is all.

That's a handy chart. Ta. They seem to be missing the Ti4200 128 MB
AGPx8 and the GF6 6610 from the nVidia camp. I've never actually heard
much about the 6610 apart from the fact that 'twas an OEM card.

No Intel chips either. That was an odd card, the Ti4200-128-8X, wasn't
it? Not everyone produced one. The 4X is really a very common card.
I know nothing about the 6610 tho.
McG.

Old March 4th 05, 08:00 AM
Sharanga Dayananda

DaveL wrote:
Riddick does not look as good as Doom3 on my ATI 9600XT.

Well that's what I was saying. In SM 2.0 mode it looks pretty ordinary,
but in SM2.0++ mode it looks quite a bit better.

And so far I
don't like Riddick as a game either. Maybe I got spoiled by HL2 but I
got bored of shooting at security guards while they cussed me out. At
least it was cheap at $20 on sale at CircuitCity.

To each his own I guess. The thing I liked about it was that it had the
feel of trying to escape from prison. The fistfights were good (they get
more and more bloody as you hit them) and the fact that you couldn't
just pick up a gun and use it 'cos of the DNA encoding. Also good was
the fact that you could sneak around, staying in the shadows, snapping
guards' necks, with both the slow quiet snap and the fast loud snap. It
even had a decent story to go with it.

HL2 was pretty good I thought.
Old March 5th 05, 12:13 AM
Ron Krebs

No ****? Wow, who'd thought that?

However, both
ATI and Nvidia have a rather large selection/variety of products. Some
end up getting pulled out of production and disappear forever, their
price never dropping. The only one of my vid cards that wasn't ever one
of the top dogs (always start at $400 or more) was the plain 6800 at
$300. The 6800's have been out now for what, a year? And I'm just
now getting into them. The 6800 and 6800 GT haven't dropped a penny in
price since they came out. The 6600's have dropped some, and they're
much newer. And, yes, they're more in the economy bracket.

But what's economy to you, eh? Let the peasants who can't drop a grand every
six months on vid cards worry about that one.

[...]

That must be tough for a guy who can buy whatever he wants. My heart bleeds
for ya.