BFG 6800 Ultra - Machine rebooting / locking / suffering white glitches on screen after installation?

Old August 27th 04, 12:12 AM
Nefilim

...and now for the new weird glitch of the day...

After a time, the screen suffers from mutli-coloured speckles flashing on and
off. Whilst this is happening, I heard the board in the machine making a
"shorting" sound. Its very feint, but the 6800 sounds as though it is shorting
/ arcing as the speckles are appearing. I put my ear close to the card and sure
enough, its as though it is arcing.

Im thinking this card needs to go back to the supplier. Geeez. Wish they would
test these things before they ship 'em!

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:17:06 +0100, Nefilim wrote:

Hi guys,

Im struggling with a new BFG 6800 Ultra I installed yesterday.

I have the following:

INTEL D865PERL mobo
P4 3ghz CPU
1GB RAM
480w PSU
Correctly split power feeds as per instructions
Latest Nvidia Drivers as at 25.08.2004
Win XP Pro (latest updates)

I can get the machine to boot up and start using Windows. After a time, I
sometimes get small white symbols / glitches on the screen as I move the mouse
about the desktop.

If I go in and play Joint Operations for a time, I notice the game freezing.
Sometimes the game recommences but other times the machine resets completely or
I have have to hit reset myself.

I also use this card in Redhat Fedora Core 1 Linux (machine is dual boot),
using the latest drivers from Nvidia, I can startx ok, but then when I exit
X-Windows (KDE) to go back to the console, I get three horizontal lines on a
black background and the machine freezes. Like Windows, I have to reboot /
reset.

The machine I am using previosuly had a Nvidia 5600 128MB and it worked
perfectly for 5 months.

I have noticed that the card is using IRQ 16 (which is also used by some of my
USB setup in XP). I have even installed my mouse on the PS/2 connector to
prevent what may be contentions for the IRQ between the mouse and the GFX card
but the problems remain.

Im a bit disappointed but there must be something I can do?

Can anyone help please?

* email address is not supplied to prevent spam. Please reply in this group.

Thanks.

Old August 27th 04, 09:22 PM
John Lewis

wrote:

[...]

Check the +12v capability of your power-supply. It should be AT LEAST
20 amps available ( ~ 17amps for your CPU and the BFG 6800Ultra, and
2-3 amps for your hard-disks/ DVD-CD devices ) Also, it is MANDATORY
to connect up the power-supply to the Ultra EXACTLY as instructed,
particularly with regard to not sharing power with other devices. Use
4-pin power-splitter adapters for your disks etc ( ~ $3 at Fry's) to
achieve the requested hookup.

If all is well here then.............

Pop down to your local computer-parts store and buy a can of
Freezit. When you see the glitches, GENTLY spray only the heatsinks
( both memory and GPU-fan) on the 6800 Ultra and see if the glitches
go away. Do NOT spray directly on any electronic component !!
If you end up with frost/moisture on the heatsinks and the glitches
still do not go away, the 6800 Ultra is probably not at fault. If the
glitches do go away, check which heat-sink stimulates the cure. If
memory, use the coolbits setting to downclock the memory and try
again. If GPU, downclock the GPU in both 2D and 3D mode and try
again.

Ultimately, you may find that cooling is indeed the real issue ( or
the borard is faulty) , but there are a few skins to be peeled off
this particular onion first.

John Lewis
Old August 29th 04, 10:42 PM
Nefilim

OK, I spent all day Saturday trying to pin down exactly what the heck is up.

Here is what I tested:

Test 1:

I built up a different machine (different INTEL motherboard (a GER model,
whereas mine is a D865PERL), INTEL Celeron 1.7, 512MB RAM, 300w PSU, no PCI
cards installed except for the 6800 in the AGP slot, one hard disk, one CDROM,
floppy, AGP 4x, fresh XP install, latest drivers, latest Direct-X)

Results: Perfect - not a glitch! Ran like a charm with Joint Operations - no
glitches or anything.

Test 2:

Re-jigged my P4 3ghz machine, using my INTEL D865PERL motherboard, same 300w
PSU from the above (test 1), a fresh install of XP, latest Direct-X, latest
NVidia drivers, fresh install of Joint Operations.

Results: Ran ok for a time but the same problems of glitches occured after a
time - and - it blew my 300w PSU - luckily I will be using my new 480w PSU, and
luckily all that blew was the PSU - the HDDs and other components seem fine.
Lesson learned there.

....SO, the only conclusion I have come to is that the INTEL D865PERL mobo. is
no good with the 6800 - either that or the AGP implementation is poor in some
way? The result really is that the only component that hasn't been "swapped"
out in all my tests is the D865PERL motherboard - the 1.7 Celeron never had the
issue of the "arcing" / "sparking" sounds from the 6800 card itself - it is as
though the D865PERL motherboard is supplying duff voltages / power to the 6800
in some way?

I am ordering a new mobo later this week - can anyone out there recommend a
good one they are using without issues with the BFG 6800 Ultra 256 OC with an
Intel P4 3ghz CPU?

Cheers for all the replies and advice on the thread guys....

Old September 3rd 04, 02:48 PM
Nefilim

I sent my machine into the local company I got my machine from for a new mobo
upgrade (moving off the INTEL D865PERL board onto an ASUS P4c800 E Deluxe
board.

I rang to see how it was going today and even with the new mobo the card is
causing problems and wont cleanly run through 3DMark 03. That brings my list of
tests and hardware swap-outs to the following:

1. New PSU (480w).
2. New mobo.

* The guys at the computer company are trying two other things this afternoon -
new Kingston Asynchronous memory and a new (good quality) PSU.

If those tests _still_ cause the 6800 to fail I will (annoyingly) be sending it
back.

All in all, its not been a good experience to be honest. I cant believe the
hassle this has caused.

Ah well, I will post back here when I know more.

Cheers all.

Old September 3rd 04, 06:52 PM
spinlock

I had the same symptoms, BFG 6800Ultra/ASUS P4C800E/Antec 550W.

It was the Antec, I doubt that it was a design issue, probably just a bad
component.

I replaced it with an Enermax 550W which works fine.

BTW, I like the Enermax better. It has shielded mobo power cables,
speed adjustable fans, and an extra 4 pin power connector in the
shielded power cables. I use this for the bottom 6800 connector.

/

Old September 4th 04, 09:13 AM
Nefilim

Thanks spinlock!

I read your post yesterday and sent it to the computer engineer that is working
on sorting my machine and they swapped my cheap 480w psu to a good quality 550w
and they said the crashing and glitches ceased in the tests yesterday
afternoon!

They have had it burning in overnight to make sure (I think repeated 3D Mark 03
Testing) and hopefully should have it back by midday today all sorted!

My PSU was 20.00 (GBP), the new one cost 80.00 (GBP). Not certain of the make,
I forget, but I will post here what combo of mobo and PSU and GFX card I have
when I get it back. Hopefully NVidia and other 6800 purchasers will read it and
save themselves a whole load of grief.

The golden rule then is to get a damn good PSU?

Thanks again!

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:52:03 -0700, "spinlock" wrote:

I had the same symptoms, BFG 6800Ultra/ASUS P4C800E/Antec 550W.

It was the Antec, I doubt that it was a design issue, probably just a bad
component.

I replaced it with an Enermax 550W which works fine.

BTW, I like the Enermax better. It has shielded mobo power cables,
speed adjustable fans, and an extra 4 pin power connector in the
shielded power cables. I use this for the bottom 6800 connector.

.. .

Old September 4th 04, 11:51 AM
bp

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:17:06 +0100, Nefilim
wrote:

For what it'd's worth I just put a machine together
AMD 64 3000+
with a 6800 Oc and Joint Ops and 3dmarks freezes on me also. It will
freeze for about 4 seconds then resume. It doesn't do it in DOOM3
I only have those two games installed right now.
I didn't have this problem on the and 2100+ system with the same card.
I wonder if its a driver issue with SP2 ?

Old September 4th 04, 04:44 PM
Nefilim

I got this too.

I have had to do a lot of stuff in the past 2 weeks to cure my probs with my
6800.

In the end using the driver cleaner utility and reinstalling helped a lot.

In the end Im on the latest BIOSes for the Nvidia card, mobo and installed
DirectX 9.0c.

A big thing to check is the PSU. Im now using a SuperFlower 520w psu.

Avoid using a low quality PSU and it seems to cure all issues.

Old September 4th 04, 04:52 PM
Nefilim

Right, Its been a long haul, but many thanks to all who have posted help.

My final cure was:

Switched from INTEL D865PERL mobo to ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
Switched to SuperFlower 520w PSU

- Now rocking!

The mobo does not seem to have been the issue, the PSU is the key to it (BIG
THANKS to spinlock).

Still, the ASUS seems a much better board than the INTEL D865PERL (always had
conflicts using the bottom 2 PCI cards).

Im now playing Joint Ops and getting a min. of 42 fps and a max of 55-60 fps (I
previously got approx. 16 at best).

Im using latest Direct-X 9.0c.

Thanks again to all who posted.

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:52:03 -0700, "spinlock" wrote:

I had the same symptoms, BFG 6800Ultra/ASUS P4C800E/Antec 550W.

It was the Antec, I doubt that it was a design issue, probably just a bad
component.

I replaced it with an Enermax 550W which works fine.

BTW, I like the Enermax better. It has shielded mobo power cables,
speed adjustable fans, and an extra 4 pin power connector in the
shielded power cables. I use this for the bottom 6800 connector.

.. .

Old September 5th 04, 03:07 AM
bp

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:44:26 +0100, Nefilim
wrote:

I got this too.

I have had to do a lot of stuff in the past 2 weeks to cure my probs with my
6800.

In the end using the driver cleaner utility and reinstalling helped a lot.

In the end Im on the latest BIOSes for the Nvidia card, mobo and installed
DirectX 9.0c.

A big thing to check is the PSU. Im now using a SuperFlower 520w psu.

Avoid using a low quality PSU and it seems to cure all issues.

I have a Antec Truepower 430 but the fact that it doesn't do it on all
games makes me think its a driver thing.

I'm going to put my 9800pro back in and see what happens.
I might just return it and get a x800 (needs less power)
I really liked this card before I put this system together.