DVD equivalent of CD Speed quality check?

Old October 19th 03, 05:57 AM
Bob Babcock

Default DVD equivalent of CD Speed quality check?

After I burn a CDR, I use the CD quality check option in Nero CD Speed to
see if there are any C2 errors (my drive doesn't seem to report C1 errors).
I usually reburn if there are any C2 errors. Having just purchased a DVD
burner, I wonder if there is an equivalent test I could be doing, and if
so, what software does it? Nero DVD Speed doesn't seem to do any sort of
quality test. I found DVDInfoPro, but it seems to only check for
readability, not for read errors that are fixed by error correction.
Old October 19th 03, 03:30 PM
Dan G

If you have a LiteOn drive, you can use Kprobe, otherwise you are out of
luck and DVDInfo is your best shot.

Old October 19th 03, 08:20 PM
Mike Richter

Bob Babcock wrote:
After I burn a CDR, I use the CD quality check option in Nero CD Speed to
see if there are any C2 errors (my drive doesn't seem to report C1 errors).
I usually reburn if there are any C2 errors. Having just purchased a DVD
burner, I wonder if there is an equivalent test I could be doing, and if
so, what software does it? Nero DVD Speed doesn't seem to do any sort of
quality test. I found DVDInfoPro, but it seems to only check for
readability, not for read errors that are fixed by error correction.

Arrowkey's CD/DVD Diagnostic.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old October 20th 03, 06:29 AM
Bob Babcock

Mike Richter wrote in :

Arrowkey's CD/DVD Diagnostic.

Thanks for the pointer. It looks like it might do what I want, but it
refuses to start on my Win/2K system. I'll try to send in a bug report.
Old October 20th 03, 06:45 AM
Rick Pali

"Bob Babcock" wrote:

Arrowkey's CD/DVD Diagnostic.

Thanks for the pointer. It looks like it might do what I want, but it
refuses to start on my Win/2K system. I'll try to send in a bug report.

I downloaded the demo and found the exact same thing. I'd double-click the
icon, would get the hour-glass for maybe five seconds, it it would aboard.
No sign of the program! I'm running XP so it's really bizarre that we'd have
the same problem...

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old October 21st 03, 02:08 AM
Robert Hancock

I believe the only way to obtain error rate data (Parity Inner/Parity Outer
values) on a DVD is with drive vendor-specific commands. For example, the
Kprobe utility can do it, but only on Lite-On DVD-ROM/RW drives.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

How to speed up my CPU? MC General 11 December 12th 04 08:11 PM
Modem connection speed Neil Barnwell General 58 July 14th 04 07:18 PM
AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Overclocking AMD Processors 0 April 29th 04 12:41 AM
Synchronize vs. non-synchronize FSB/Memory speed? Ohaya Overclocking AMD Processors 0 March 11th 04 08:11 AM
Maximum Read Speed/Current Read Speed Difference mark24951 Cdr 2 July 30th 03 04:42 AM