FAT32 & NTFS

Old January 21st 05, 09:30 PM
phil

Default FAT32 & NTFS

OK Not so much a hardware but a software issue.

I have just reformatted one of the two hard drives in my system.
I opted to use the NTFS system this time as i had it as FAT32 before.
The thing is, my slave hard drive is still FAT32 & i seem to be getting
problems with software in that drive.
Will i have to format that drive too to the NTFS System so as to avoid any
hassle ??

Phil.

Old January 21st 05, 09:55 PM
deees

phil wrote:
OK Not so much a hardware but a software issue.

I have just reformatted one of the two hard drives in my system.
I opted to use the NTFS system this time as i had it as FAT32 before.
The thing is, my slave hard drive is still FAT32 & i seem to be getting
problems with software in that drive.
Will i have to format that drive too to the NTFS System so as to avoid any
hassle ??

Phil.

While you haven't stated exactly what the problems are or what
applications you are using, I don't think the different in the
filesystems is the cause of them.

Perhaps you could list the applications and the errors.

If you did have an application that doesn't support Fat32, you could use
convert to change to NTFS without reformatting. (You should still backup
any critcal data before running.)
Old January 21st 05, 11:17 PM
kony

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:30:01 -0000, "phil"
wrote:

OK Not so much a hardware but a software issue.

I have just reformatted one of the two hard drives in my system.
I opted to use the NTFS system this time as i had it as FAT32 before.

Err, ok?
So since you had NTFS this time, will you choose FAT32 next?
I don't mean to start another NTFS vs FAT32 flamefest, but
did you have some particular need for the NTFS, as it might
effect your use of this second, FAT32 formatted drive?

The thing is, my slave hard drive is still FAT32 & i seem to be getting
problems with software in that drive.
Will i have to format that drive too to the NTFS System so as to avoid any
hassle ??

Software shouldn't care unless it's trying to create files
larger than 4GB, as it's the FAT32 limit. Otherwise there
are no problems that come to mind that you'd encounter due
to having FAT32 instead of NTFS, that is, if the system
(especially the drive) is working properly.

It might be a good safeguard to back up the data on that
drive and run the manufacturer's diagnostics.

Exactly what "problems" (as detailed as possible) ?
Old January 23rd 05, 11:14 AM
_BNC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:17:10 GMT, kony wrote:

Software shouldn't care unless it's trying to create files
larger than 4GB, as it's the FAT32 limit. Otherwise there
are no problems that come to mind that you'd encounter due
to having FAT32 instead of NTFS, that is, if the system
(especially the drive) is working properly.

I've always thought that Fat32 was reliable, although maybe not
quite as robust as NTFS. But Maxtor tech support has taken to
blaming lots of their drive failures on FAT32 format. They claim that
they've seen corruption of the files system in 250g FAT32 drives.
This may be just an convenient excuse. I'm not sure why there
would be a problem with larger drives.

That is, if you can figure out how to do FAT32 partition/format on
250G. But most of the drive utils (Acronis, etc) can handle it.

_B

Old January 23rd 05, 11:47 AM
Skeleton Man

I have just reformatted one of the two hard drives in my system.
I opted to use the NTFS system this time as i had it as FAT32 before.
The thing is, my slave hard drive is still FAT32 & i seem to be getting
problems with software in that drive.
Will i have to format that drive too to the NTFS System so as to avoid any
hassle ??

Describe "problems with software".. what kind of problems ? error messages ?
anything else helpful ?

Software to my knowledge neither knows nor cares what type of file system it's
installed onto, so I doubt this is your problem.

Regards,
Chris

Old January 23rd 05, 08:23 PM
kony

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:14:38 -0500, _BNC
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:17:10 GMT, kony wrote:

Software shouldn't care unless it's trying to create files
larger than 4GB, as it's the FAT32 limit. Otherwise there
are no problems that come to mind that you'd encounter due
to having FAT32 instead of NTFS, that is, if the system
(especially the drive) is working properly.

I've always thought that Fat32 was reliable, although maybe not
quite as robust as NTFS.

It is. I always question those who claim a real benefit to
NTFS for "reliability", as a system that is more reliable
with NTFS has other problems than it's filesystem. NTFS
would then be a bandaid, not a fix. As with all things, an
extra layer of protection may not hurt- unless one needs DOS
support.

But Maxtor tech support has taken to
blaming lots of their drive failures on FAT32 format. They claim that
they've seen corruption of the files system in 250g FAT32 drives.
This may be just an convenient excuse. I'm not sure why there
would be a problem with larger drives.

I'd look for more confirmation of this than only relying on
Maxtor, if it's only their drives it seems more like a
diversion than the truth.

That is, if you can figure out how to do FAT32 partition/format on
250G. But most of the drive utils (Acronis, etc) can handle it.

Figure out?
The newer (win98se patched or WinME) FDISK will. Just
choose percentage and ignore that it "overlaps" the sizes in
64GB chucks when reporting actual space.
Old January 23rd 05, 10:13 PM
CBFalconer

kony wrote:
_BNC wrote:

.... snip ...

I've always thought that Fat32 was reliable, although maybe not
quite as robust as NTFS.

It is. I always question those who claim a real benefit to
NTFS for "reliability", as a system that is more reliable
with NTFS has other problems than it's filesystem. NTFS
would then be a bandaid, not a fix. As with all things, an
extra layer of protection may not hurt- unless one needs DOS
support.

At least as described by Helen Custer in her books on NT, the NTFS
should be much safer because of the database aspects of handling
directories and space assignments. It _should_ be impossible to
get the equivalent of a fouled FAT table.

It is quite possible that MS has since dumbed it down to enhance
their monopolism. I have no direct experience, since the MS EULA
is something up with which I shall not put.

Old January 23rd 05, 11:50 PM
Mr Digital

Thanks all for your suggestions.
I can't publish any error messages etc as i have now backed up data &
deleted all content of that drive.

Now my Win XP CD rom is the upgrade disc which requires a previous version
installed first of which is Win 98se i have.

When i reinstalled windows XP on my master drive it did it as NTFS so will
following the same procedure do the same for my slave drive??
The thing is how do i select to format this drive as NTFS without actually
installing windows itself.

Please forgive me if i sound stupid as i have only ever installed windows on
1 occasion before therefore i am not totally familiar with this procedure
althouh the most of it is self explanatory.

Old January 24th 05, 12:01 AM
Timothy Daniels

"CBFalconer" wrote:
MS EULA is something up with which I shall not put.

Much of Ms. Eula is bluff, up with whom one needn't put.

*TimDaniels*
Old January 24th 05, 12:12 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Mr Digital" wrote:

When i reinstalled windows XP on my master drive it did
it as NTFS so will following the same procedure do the
same for my slave drive??

Yes.

The thing is how do i select to format this drive as NTFS
without actually installing windows itself?

Use the Disk Management utility on your existing WinXP drive.
Right-click on My Computer, select Manage, then select
Disk Management. Right click on the new HD ("Disk 1", probably)
and delete any partitions there (assuming you don't want them)
by rt-clking the partition and selecting Delete Partition. Then
rt-clk the now "unallocated" area on Disk 1, and select New Partition
and follow the wizard. At some point you will be asked for the type
of file format.

*TimDaniels*

Ghost and NTFS hon123456 General 0 October 31st 04 02:22 PM
corrupted partition table - help needed! Justin Case General 0 August 3rd 04 09:22 AM
NTFS v FAT32 Dave General 6 January 9th 04 04:20 AM
Scanning NTFS partitions for virus outside XP macphisto General 9 December 24th 03 11:11 AM
Get message "Remove disks or other media" since converting from NTFS to FAT32 Paul Hill General 1 July 6th 03 02:03 PM