How to speed up my CPU?

Old December 11th 04, 02:31 AM
MC

Default How to speed up my CPU?

Hi all,

I'm looking to speed up or get more from my CPU. Overclocking is it
called? I have Pentium 4, 1.5Ghz. Isn't it possible to tweak this to 1.6 or
even 1.7? I think I remember reading that the 1.5 is what the manufacturer
has tested for and is the speed it says the processor will function at with
no problems but, that same processor will run faster, just with no
gaurantee.

Anyway, do I have my facts straight and if so, will someone please give me a
hand in speeding it up?

Btw, the reason I'm trying to do this is, I just bought my boy a game and
the minimum recommended cpu is 1.5ghz. My cpu runs at 100% while playing the
game and the game does freeze sometimes during play. I shut everything else
off, including my AV, Firewall and some running services. I've got plenty of
memory at 1gigabyte and my card, Geforce4 Ti4600 128mb, should handle it no
problem too. I've bought him the followup versions of the game for Christmas
so he'll be playing it for a while, lol. If I can get the game to play
smoother with no freezes, that would be great.

This is all the info I have on my motherboard and cpu:

Intel (El Paso) MotherBoard - 1.5ghz
part number 2515372

Intel 82845 chipset. This chipset includes:

Intel® 82845 Memory Controller Hub (MCH)

Intel® 82801BA I/O Controller Hub (ICH2)

Intel® 82802AB BIOS Firmware Hub (FWH)

Memory: Support for up to 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of memory using PC133 DIMMs

AGP connector supporting 1.5-volt (V) 4X AGP cards

Ultra DMA, ATA-33/66/100 support

100-megahertz (MHz) front bus speed (speed of motherboard)

400-MHz host bus speed (speed at which the I/O controller hub communicates
with the processor)

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) support (Power Management
support)

PCI local bus specification revision 2.2

Integrated Audio and 10/100 Ethernet

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mike

Old December 11th 04, 11:46 AM
Mac Cool

MC:

http://www.overclockers.com/
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/pentium416ghzoc/
--
Mac Cool
Old December 11th 04, 12:20 PM
philo

"MC" wrote in message
[...]

if you pay attention to temperature
you could probably overclock a little
but with the 100mhz FSB you may not notice any difference
in performance

for serious gaming you will probably need
to upgrade the mobo & cpu etc

Old December 11th 04, 11:18 PM
YanquiDawg

Not on an Intel motherboard. Intel doesn't like overclocking and doesn't
include any overclocking feature in their motherboard BIOS.

Old December 12th 04, 05:52 AM
MC

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
MC:

I'm looking to speed up or get more from my CPU. Overclocking is it
called? I have Pentium 4, 1.5Ghz. Isn't it possible to tweak this to
1.6 or even 1.7?

http://www.overclockers.com/
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/pentium416ghzoc/
--
Mac Cool

Thanks Mac Cool, I'll check out the URLs and post back my results.

-M

Old December 12th 04, 05:55 AM
MC

if you pay attention to temperature
you could probably overclock a little
but with the 100mhz FSB you may not notice any difference
in performance

for serious gaming you will probably need
to upgrade the mobo & cpu etc

Yeah, I figure that's going to be the long term answer. 1.5's pretty slow
compared to the new stuff. I'm just looking to speed it up for the kid so he
can enjoy his games without me having break, the already cracking, bank.

Thnaks for the reply Philo,

-M

Old December 12th 04, 06:11 AM
MC

Not on an Intel motherboard. Intel doesn't like overclocking and doesn't
include any overclocking feature in their motherboard BIOS.

Yeah, I learned that's true on Gateways too, which is what we have.
Apparently they'de rather have you buy a new one, than improve the one you
have and cheat them out of a sale, lol.

Thanks for the input,

-M

Btw, I've got the box down to running only 3 system processes, 5 necessary
services and, a couple of game card tweaks later, the game-time freezing is
at an absolute minimum. Maybe that'll due till the upgrade is feasable.

Old December 12th 04, 07:08 AM
DevilsPGD

In message uiRud.247233$R05.101179@attbi_s53 "MC"
wrote:

Not on an Intel motherboard. Intel doesn't like overclocking and doesn't
include any overclocking feature in their motherboard BIOS.

Yeah, I learned that's true on Gateways too, which is what we have.
Apparently they'de rather have you buy a new one, than improve the one you
have and cheat them out of a sale, lol.

That's half of it -- The other half is that if you overclock it and
wreck your system, you'll expect them to replace it under warranty and
it's hard to prove that the customer overclocked it vs something done at
the factory.

--
News: CIVIL SERVANT STAYS AWAKE ALL SHIFT LONG
"Man, I've really got to cut back on the caffeine" he says
Old December 12th 04, 12:00 PM
kony

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:11:38 GMT, "MC"
wrote:

Not on an Intel motherboard. Intel doesn't like overclocking and doesn't
include any overclocking feature in their motherboard BIOS.

Yeah, I learned that's true on Gateways too, which is what we have.
Apparently they'de rather have you buy a new one, than improve the one you
have and cheat them out of a sale, lol.

Thanks for the input,

Overclocking (and many other system "maladjustments) have no
benefit for them, only added support costs. Gateway has
often used Intel motherboards, so to a centain extent they
didnt even need choose to limit overclocking as it was
already done... and yet, they weren't the primary limitors,
Intel was with their CPUs. On many occasions Intel CPU
might be more easily o'c if they'd not locked the
multipliers. Similar situation with any OEM, and just one
of many reasons, many people roll their own.
Old December 12th 04, 07:06 PM
kony

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:37:08 +0100, "Mike"
wrote:

i read somewhere that u can overclock an intel mobo if u weld somewhere a
bridge.
I must admid thats something i never dare to do.

It's possible that might change the FSB speed, and for
certain models of CPU and certain target o'c that might be
exactly what's needed, but quite often it would also be
beneficial to have the ability to adjust the multiplier,
which is never possible AFAIK.

Intel SE7501hg2 motherboard fan speed George General 0 September 11th 04 04:05 PM
HELP! Having trouble with memory and bus speed Andy in NJ General 12 August 28th 04 06:05 PM
Burning speed Salvo General 14 July 19th 04 03:36 AM
D865GLC + CPU Fan Speed HELP Ron Reaugh General 1 December 16th 03 02:28 PM
CD burning speed determines read speed? David K General 4 July 22nd 03 09:31 AM