Non bootable PCI IDE controller?

Old February 18th 04, 10:16 PM
Mark S

Default Non bootable PCI IDE controller?

Does anybody know if there is such a thing as a PCI IDE controller,
preferably UDMA 100/133?
Reason.....
I have a Compaq Proliant 5000 running Win2K SVR, and I am trying to put 4
120Gb IDE HDD's in it. I have tried various PCI IDE RAID cards in it, both
with the SCSI Raid controller in and out of it. The only thing that happens
is: Boot machine, run the config, doesn't detect HDD but does detect the PCI
card. press F1 to force it to boot, and you get it to run Win setup from the
CD. It goes all the way through setup before restarting, and then fails
again at boot!
Is there anyway that I can configure the "bios" to accept/ignore the PCI
card but allow Win2K to access it? or create a configuration file for the
Smart setup to use?
Or am I wasting my time????
please bear in mind.... 120Gb IDE HDD =£65 ($100) Very Large SCA HDD =£big

Many thanks for reading, and many thanks in advance

Mark S

Old February 19th 04, 06:07 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

cant be done. that server does not support the int13 thingy that is needed
for IDE controllers to boot with.

give up now...

LC

Old February 19th 04, 06:42 PM
Mark S

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
cant be done. that server does not support the int13 thingy that is needed
for IDE controllers to boot with.

give up now...

LC

Thanks...... even if it doesn't have the int13 thingy, will it support IDE
without boot?

Mark S

Old February 19th 04, 10:59 PM
VinceV

OR

Purchase a SCSI drive to install the operating system on (and boot
from) and use the IDE drives for storage...

VinceV

Old February 19th 04, 11:31 PM
Sharmon

Ditto , Give it up it will not work unless you swap out the system
board for a System Pro or maybe a DL310 or DL 140 board which does
support ATA raid but will not fit without duct tape and spit and maybe
a hammer and beer

Old February 21st 04, 04:20 AM
Mark S

"VinceV" wrote in message
om...
OR

Purchase a SCSI drive to install the operating system on (and boot
from) and use the IDE drives for storage...

VinceV

This is what I was hoping to do, I have two SCSI hdd's in the system, with
win2k svr installed all running nicely, and I wanted to use four 120Gb IDE
HDD's as storage, but cannot get the system to boot to the SCSI drive, am I,
as the Nut Cracker suggest, flogging a dead horse?

Mark S

Old February 21st 04, 04:40 PM
Aidan Grey

Run SmartStart with the PCI IDE controller in the system. Check which
controller is set to be the BOOT controller.

Also, are you using the onboard SCSI controller, or a SMART RAID
controller for these SCSI drive.

I also suggest that you install Win2K on the SCSI drives with no IDE
drives connected. After that, create extended partitions on the IDE drives
and only put logical drives on them.

It may or may not make a difference which PCI slot you put the PCI IDE
controller in as well.

Aidan Grey

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 03:20:18 +0000 (UTC), Mark S wrote:

. com...