Installing Redhat linux on a Compaq Systempro/XL

Old October 31st 03, 07:53 AM
Peter Murray

Default Installing Redhat linux on a Compaq Systempro/XL

Hi, I got a Systempro/XL with 2 50Mhz 486's and I put in 40Mb of RAM,
configured it correctly with the compaq setup and ASTRA sees it all, but
when it comes to installing Redhat linux it says that i dont have enought
system memory.
Im trying to install Redhat 7.1
my server is as follows:

Systempro/XL Series 3050
40Mb RAM
AHA 1740 EISA SCSI with 2GbHD,Tapedrive and CDrom attached.

any help would be much apreciated

TIA

Peter Murray

Old November 12th 03, 02:42 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

I might be wrong... but I have seen posts here for years saying that linux
does not do EisaSMP, and you wont be able to install it on this system.
(this includes models up to the Proliant 4500, because they dont have a PCI
bus. The 1500 is the sole exception as it does have PCI, and once you get
out of the P5 class machines and get into the PPro systems, then it shouldnt
be a problem).

But... if you want to try, there is a memory switch you have to give lilo
that is something like:

mem=X - 1M@1M

whereX = 40 (because that is how much RAM you have).

let us know how you fare... you might have a hard time getting a driver for
IDA disk controller (if that is the controller that you have in the system,
which if memory serves correctly, you should have. It has a 50pin SCSI like
connector, that attaches to 2 210M or 2 510M IDE drives. These are
particular drives, so you wont be able to put any-ole IDE disk on there.

Cheers,

LC

Old November 12th 03, 07:24 PM
VinceV

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message ...

snip

But... if you want to try, there is a memory switch you have to give lilo
that is something like:

mem=X - 1M@1M

whereX = 40 (because that is how much RAM you have).

The tweak that needs to be done (assuming 40 meg of ram) is:

mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=39m@1m

You will need to do that for the installer to work and again when you
first boot. I'd use grub instead of lilo because you can edit the
boot script at system startup.
Old November 19th 03, 03:05 PM
Gereon Wenzel

I might be wrong... but I have seen posts here for years saying that linux
does not do EisaSMP, and you wont be able to install it on this system.
(this includes models up to the Proliant 4500, because they dont have a PCI
bus. The 1500 is the sole exception as it does have PCI, and once you get
out of the P5 class machines and get into the PPro systems, then it shouldnt
be a problem).

You're right, but it does not depend on the EISA bus.
These old Compaqs don't use SMP but some kind of different MP architecture.
The 1500 was the first introducing linux supported SMP.
Linux will be possible to use a single CPU only.
Best choce might be NT3.51, or if you don't like M$ try SCO.
I don't think there is any free OS supporting these systems,
at least none using both CPUs?

mem=X - 1M@1M

whereX = 40 (because that is how much RAM you have).

let us know how you fare... you might have a hard time getting a driver for
IDA disk controller (if that is the controller that you have in the system,
which if memory serves correctly, you should have. It has a 50pin SCSI like
connector, that attaches to 2 210M or 2 510M IDE drives. These are
particular drives, so you wont be able to put any-ole IDE disk on there.

The IDA is said to be supported by the Linux SMART driver,
more difficult to find are matching drives (Conner OEM) or
mounting equipement.
Got one of these installed with 8 540MB disks in my /XL.
Configured fine, but so far it failed to install NT.
NT uses the cpqarray driver while Win 9x drivers are
contained in the cpq-win95 support pack.

Hi, I got a Systempro/XL with 2 50Mhz 486's and I put in 40Mb of RAM,
configured it correctly with the compaq setup and ASTRA sees it all, but
when it comes to installing Redhat linux it says that i dont have enought
system memory.
Im trying to install Redhat 7.1
my server is as follows:

Systempro/XL Series 3050
40Mb RAM
AHA 1740 EISA SCSI with 2GbHD,Tapedrive and CDrom attached.

any help would be much apreciated

TIA

Peter Murray

Got two of these /XL machines running Dos and NT 3.51,
as well as two systempro dual 486/33.

Gereon Wenzel
www.eisapc.de

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 21st 04 11:30 AM
Compaq FAQ ** New Link HH Compaq Computers 0 June 19th 04 11:47 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 13th 04 03:37 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 5th 04 11:17 AM
Compaq FAQ ** NEW INFO** HH Compaq Computers 0 May 15th 04 11:56 AM