DirectX 9.0a and GeForce 4 MX 440

Old July 6th 03, 09:06 PM
Poochie

Default DirectX 9.0a and GeForce 4 MX 440

I got a ABIT GeForce 4 MX 440 and upgraded my directx to version 9.0a. Is it
normal that I can run MotoGP 2 DEMO but 3D Mark 2003 and Colin McRae Rally 3
DEMO will just terminate without entering in the 3d mode?

Thanks, Poochie

Old July 6th 03, 10:20 PM

Upgrading to Direct X 9.0 will do nothing for you if you have the MX440.
Advanced pixel shaders are not available and neither are the Direct X 8.0
pixel shaders either as the 3D Mark 2001 will not even run the pixel tests
with this card. In order to support Direct X 9.0 and higher the hardware of
the card must support it. In Direct X 9.0 in 3D Mark 2003 you have the Pixel
shader version II and the MX 440 will not support this. The lowest priced
card to support this (Direct X 9.0) would probably be a FX 5200 128 meg
card. You can usually find them under 100 Euros. If you have slightly more
money to spend thn the FX 5600 Ultra is a very good middle of the road card.

regards

.. .

Old July 7th 03, 02:06 AM
Strontium

Actually, I found that I could not adjust my resolution above 640x480,
with anything but DX9a for GTA Vice City (with a GF4 MX440SE, MSI). I
could not adjust the resolution, at all (game options menu) with DX8.1.
But, of course, that was a game-dependent requirement. So, in summary,
while it will not benefit you hardware-wise, some games require DX9a
installed just to let you use the hardware options that you 'can' use.

I doubt that your issues are related to your version of DX, anyway. I
suspect that card just cannot handle what you're throwing at it
(3DM03/Colin MacRea Rally 3).

As for what B said about pixel shaders, that's correct. As for their
statement that the card must support DX9 hardware-wise, in order to run
DX9, I disagree. I did it with the MX440SE. As I said, above, I HAD to
install DX9a to be able to adjust resolution in GTA VC.

-
Poochie stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

I'll think about it... thanks

Poochie
"B" wrote in message
Upgrading to Direct X 9.0 will do nothing for you if you have the
MX440. Advanced pixel shaders are not available and neither are the
Direct X 8.0 pixel shaders either as the 3D Mark 2001 will not even
run the pixel tests with this card. In order to support Direct X 9.0
and higher the hardware of the card must support it. In Direct X 9.0
in 3D Mark 2003 you have the Pixel shader version II and the MX 440
will not support this. The lowest priced card to support this
(Direct X 9.0) would probably be a FX 5200 128 meg card. You can
usually find them under 100 Euros. If you have slightly more money
to spend thn the FX 5600 Ultra is a very good middle of the road
card.

regards

.. .

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."