Anyone also using Nero and TmpgEnc?

Old January 3rd 04, 08:26 AM
Ar Q

Default Anyone also using Nero and TmpgEnc?

I began to record my favorite TV shows on CD instead of video tapes two
years ago because CDs are cheap and most importantly occupy little space. My
process is to record using ATI MMC, trim commercials (not time-consuming
re-encoding, just trim) using TmpgEnc and burn to SVCD using Nero. In the
past, my system with AIW Radeon 8500DV, MS Win2k pro works fine with ATI MMC
7.7, Catalyst 2.1, TmpgEnc 2.5.9/2.5.21 and Nero Burning ROM 5.5/6.
Currently I tried to upgrade to Catalyst 3.10 and MMC 8.8 but I have a
problem: TmpgEnc is grayed out after loading any non-master MPEG 2 file. It
is still OK to edit any original master MPEG 2 file but I couldn't re-edit
an already-edited file.

I think the following three experiments help me determine that ATI MMC 8.8
and Nero 6 are imcompatible to each other. Note I pre-installed MS Direct
X9, Cyberlink PowerDVD 4/PowerVCR Deluxe and MS Windows Media Player 9 on my
system.
(1) MMC 7.7, TmpgEnc, Nero 6: System works OK.
(2) MMC 8.8, TmpgEnc, Nero 6: System couldn't edit non-master MPEG2 files.
(3) MMC 8.8, TmpgEnc: System works OK. (Note that I didn't install Nero.)

I think the following two experiments help determine that the cause of the
problem is the MPEG2 CODECs or system environment, not the MPEG2 file
itself.
(I have two computers configured to
System A: MMC 7.7, TmpgEnc, Nero 6,
System B: MMC 8.8, TmpgEnc, Nero 6.)
(4) Record a MPEG 2 file on System A. After transmitting it to System B,
System B couldn't edit the non-master MPEG2 file using TmpgEnc.
(5) Record a MPEG 2 file on System B (with MMC8.8 and Nero 6 installed).
After transmitting it to System A, System A has no probelm to edit any file.

I think my system has too many MPEG codecs installed. My guess is at least
four: MS Windows Media Player, ATI MMC, Cyberlink and Nero Ultra 6. The
problem might be related to ATI changed the CODEC provider from 7.7 to 8.8.
Also Nero includes its own CODEC since version 6. I also noted that only
Microsoft is polite to ask if the user wants to associate any file with MPEG
file type to MS WMP. The other 3 just link the file type to its player.

To any AIW user who also have TmpgEnc and Nero 6 installed on your system,
your suggestion, input and solution will be appreciated.

It is a long reading. Thanks for getting so far to help a stranger.

Ar Q

Old January 3rd 04, 04:56 PM
Thomas A. Horsley

My experience with ATI would lead me to guess (on no evidence :-) that
whatever problem you have it is MMC,'s fault.

I gave up on MMC years ago after about the 47,231 update that broke
more things than it fixed :-).

PowerVCR seems to work much better (but my Panasonic DMR-E80H works
even better, so I don't try to record things from my PC anymore).
Old January 3rd 04, 10:13 PM
Dan G

Also suggest dumping TMPGenc for encoding. CCE or Procoder Express are
reasonably priced and WAY faster with equal quality results.

Old January 4th 04, 03:08 AM
Ar Q

I did more tests. I have already known it won't work if I install all three
of them.

If I have only installed two of them:

(1) ATI MMC and TmpgEnc: works fine.
(2) TmpgEnc and Nero6: can't edit non-master MPEG2 files.

Seems that the problem is with Nero 6, not ATI MMC 8.8.

Old January 4th 04, 08:03 PM
Some Dude

I don't know about Procoder Express but CCE (SP or PRO, the only
half-decent ones) are *NOT* reasonably priced and it doesn't have
1/1000th the options tmpgenc has (and tmpgenc is probably 1/15th the
price- if not more). CCE-SP pro is $2K retail.

CCE basic is garbage.

On top of that, TMPGENC has an awesome support forum and a gazillion
users so you can get your questions answered fast just by going to
their website...TMPGENC is mack, CCE is just hype. (well, the
hardware version is probably pretty sweet if you have that kinda of
cash laying around).

imho

Old January 4th 04, 09:16 PM
codecpage

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:03:33 GMT, Some Dude wrote:

I don't know about Procoder Express but CCE (SP or PRO, the only
half-decent ones) are *NOT* reasonably priced and it doesn't have
1/1000th the options tmpgenc has (and tmpgenc is probably 1/15th the
price- if not more). CCE-SP pro is $2K retail.

CCE basic is garbage.

Very interesting comment, given the fact that CCE Basic has exactly
the same engine and gives exactly the same results as CCE SP.

The extra modes of SP are hardly of interest to most people, and PRO
is just for streaming in broadcast applications.

TMPGenc has lots of filters and options, but the same can be achieved
very easily with VirtualDub frameserving into CCE.

Cheers

http://www.codecpage.com
Old January 4th 04, 10:41 PM
Dan G

The results I get with CCE Basic and Procoder Express are indistinguishable
from TMPGEnc, and take 1/10th as long. No question that TMPGEnc has more
stuff to play with, but most of it does little if anything for the results.
I also have CCE-SP, and don't use it.

Old January 9th 04, 05:36 AM
radius

I also have all 3 instaled on my computer and it works fine for me.I
have a AIW 9000 with catalyst 3.5 nero 6 and tempgnc 2.5 but i had to
increase priority of direct show multimedia file reader in tempgnc to
have every thing working ok.You can try this by going to
environnmental settings right clic on direct show multimedia file
reader and increase prioriy . If this is of any help.

Old January 9th 04, 03:11 PM
Ar Q

"radius" wrote in message
I also have all 3 instaled on my computer and it works fine for me.I
have a AIW 9000 with catalyst 3.5 nero 6 and tempgnc 2.5 but i had to
increase priority of direct show multimedia file reader in tempgnc to
have every thing working ok.You can try this by going to
environnmental settings right clic on direct show multimedia file
reader and increase prioriy . If this is of any help.

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work. In the past, if my system
can't edit ALL mpeg2 files, I can fix it by raising the direct show
multimedia file reader priority. But this problem is so weird, I can edit
any original files just not non-master files. I am wondering if the problem
is related to that I did not install ATI DVD player since I only own MMC 7.7
CD.