4X and 8X agp worth upgrading to an 8X Mobo ?

Old November 29th 03, 11:50 AM
Dark Avenger

Default 4X and 8X agp worth upgrading to an 8X Mobo ?

We Live For The One We Die For The One wrote in message . ..
Ive got a Radeon 9600 Pro, which i beleive is 8X Agp, but my board is
4X, from what i read its not worth upgrading the board as the speed
increase is 5% at best, and even when i do it prob will have troubles
running at 8X anyway.

Any i right on any of these points ?

Ill think i wait for a PCI Express Card before i next upgrade, maybe
it will be ateast 25% faster than the last card, hopfully more.

Thanks.

Nope

I got 8x AGP... and it makes no difference with 4x AGP. Theoraticly
it's double as fast.. in reality there is no need for that speed! Once
the cards buffers are full, they are full!

There are a few things that migbt nice a reason to upgrade.

- Slow Processor ( and no higher end processor can be installed on it
)
- SDram memory ( now that is a bitch in performance )
- Slow FSB ( mostly coupled with SDram memory.. a bitch )
- Very old chipset ( newer OS-es can be a problem if the maker of the
motherboard doesn't exists and you need drivers... for something like
XP )

If you have a reasonable fast system you don't need to upgrade.
Old November 29th 03, 12:31 PM
Tim Miser

Running at 8x is no more trouble than running at 4x but you won't see 1%
increase going to 8x.

Old November 29th 03, 01:18 PM
RipFlex

The answer is NO.

There is no difference in performance between a 4x/8x AGP.
Ever since AGP slot went 4x it became overkill. Mainly because there's no
Video Card with enough horsepower and a CPU fast enough to FULLY utilize the
transferrates an 8X AGP can offer. Which brings to my next point in PCI
Express. It's a good move to standardize 1 type of Slot for everything.
But I think a 10 Ghz machine and a ATI 12000 might utilize it's full
power.... it's fast in pushing data, and feeding power to cards.

4X AGP even fine for 9800XT and GF 5960.... it's laughable.

Old November 29th 03, 05:45 PM
Nitza666

AGP is slow this the reason they keep increasing its speed,its not a CPU
problem that it can utilize the AGP bus,its the AGP so slow that they keep
increasing the memory on the gfx cards so to eliminate agp transfers during
aming.

Worth upgrading my HD? Bobby General 8 February 23rd 05 09:25 AM
Upgrading Asus As7-vm mobo David Off Asus Motherboards 8 June 26th 04 05:36 PM
GA8iK1100 rev2, second mobo dead Testadura Gigabyte Motherboards 0 May 22nd 04 07:56 AM
upgrading ASUS p2b-f mobo JohnK Asus Motherboards 2 February 5th 04 01:00 PM
Overclockrd XP1700 worth upgrading? Bill L Overclocking AMD Processors 1 September 6th 03 06:41 PM