Powersaving on P5AD2-Premium

Old February 16th 05, 09:59 PM
Peter Larsen

Default Powersaving on P5AD2-Premium

Hi there

Can anyone tell me how BIOS shold be set in regards to PowerManagement?
Also if things are set up in BIOS then what to do in WinXPpro SP2?

Well sometimes when my pc goes to sleep, it won't start again.. really
anoying.

Old February 17th 05, 04:02 PM
Paul

In article , "Peter Larsen"
wrote:

well it seem to "continue windows", but the screen stays black with no
signal....

"Peter Larsen" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi there

Can anyone tell me how BIOS shold be set in regards to PowerManagement?
Also if things are set up in BIOS then what to do in WinXPpro SP2?

Well sometimes when my pc goes to sleep, it won't start again.. really
anoying.

Just some guesses:

1) Check Windows Event Log for error messages involving ACPI
or the like.

2) Get a copy of dumppo.exe from Microsoft, and check what ACPI
states are supported. Since you seem to be using S3 Suspend
To Ram, it will likely claim to be supported.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oem...cpi/dumppo.exe

From a MSDOS (command) window:

dumppo ps cap # This dumps the ACPI object information
# It says whether S1 or S3 are supported
# If S3 is listed as supported, you do not
# need the following command.

dumppo admin /ac maxsleep=S3 # This is an administrative override
# command. It should add S3 to your
# capabilities. Check with the "cap"
# option again. If you want Hibernate
# then use S4.

The options for dumppo.exe a

cap power abilities
ps Win32 System power status
bs battery status
admin Admin policy overrides
ac AC power policy
dc DC power policy

3) There is a "Repost Video" option in the BIOS:

Suspend Mode [S3 Only]
Repost Video on S3 Resume [Yes]

4) Flash upgrade to the latest BIOS. See the download page for any
warnings or instructions about flashing. 1009 has a fix listed
for restoring from S3 when using AI-NOS. Whether that affects
you or not is hard to say.

HTH,
Paul
Old February 17th 05, 10:14 PM
Peter Larsen

Thanks Paul

but still no luck. The damned pc will not turn on the video-signal after
"suspend".
I have changed the BIOS settings - what about ACPI 2.0 Support and ACPI APIC
Support?

Regards Peter

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse
In article , "Peter Larsen"
wrote:

well it seem to "continue windows", but the screen stays black with no
signal....

"Peter Larsen" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi there

Can anyone tell me how BIOS shold be set in regards to PowerManagement?
Also if things are set up in BIOS then what to do in WinXPpro SP2?

Well sometimes when my pc goes to sleep, it won't start again.. really
anoying.

Just some guesses:

1) Check Windows Event Log for error messages involving ACPI
or the like.

2) Get a copy of dumppo.exe from Microsoft, and check what ACPI
states are supported. Since you seem to be using S3 Suspend
To Ram, it will likely claim to be supported.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oem...cpi/dumppo.exe

From a MSDOS (command) window:

Old February 18th 05, 03:17 AM
Paul

In article , "Peter Larsen"
wrote:

Thanks Paul

but still no luck. The damned pc will not turn on the video-signal
after "suspend". I have changed the BIOS settings - what about
ACPI 2.0 Support and ACPI APIC Support?

Regards Peter

I looked in the ACPI spec, and it doesn't have a section that
summarizes the differences. The spec says the ACPI table definition
is backward compatible, which means a modern OS should be able
to deal with an ACPI 1.0 table or an ACPI 2.0 table. I haven't
read any posts that mentioned that selection as making a difference,
so you'll just have to try both and see if it changes anything.

The APIC setting is for the advanced programmable interrupt
controller. An APIC is used for interrupt steering, and
multiples of them can be used in a system. The side effect
seems to be, with APIC disabled, you'll see 16 IRQs and with
it enabled, you see 24 IRQs.

From the ACPI 2.0b spec:

"The APIC architecture supports multiprocessor interrupt
management... The architecture consists of local APICs
commonly attached directly to processors and I/O APICs
commonly in chip sets."

Generally, you can leave APIC enabled, except for when there
are hardware bugs (like trying to run Linux on Nforce2 -
in that case turn APIC off, or use -noapic at boot).

Some ACPI docs:
http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec10b.pdf
http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec-2-0b.pdf

Now, back to your problem. This post suggests that some
peripheral device plugged into the system, can hijack recovery
from S3 STR. The post mentions that if you use Hibernate (S4),
that a dialog box might show up with some evidence of what is
wrong.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=...1.giganews.com

You should do a bit more work with dumppo.exe , and make sure
that S3 and S4 are listed as options. Many weird symptoms
(like being bounced to the login dialog box, instead of
suspending) happen, because the OS and the BIOS are not
"aligned". After the BIOS is set for S3, use dumppo to
do an "administrative override" of the current system policies.
Using dumppo is necessary, if you installed the OS while S3
was not enabled in the BIOS. (Dumppo might also tell you about
peripherals whose drivers or hardware, don't support
certain ACPI states.)

Look for "dumppo.exe" mentioned on this page. It shows an example
of a system with a bad driver, and what it looks like after
the problem was fixed. (This is a large page, so you'll need the
"find" dialog in IE to navigate it.)

http://www.bellamyjc.net/fr/windows2000.html

Also, I found this suggestion for a video card:

"there is a suggestion on an ATI support page that the graphics
card needs to make DDC (Direct Data Channel) calls to the monitor
to successfully come out of STR."

Try making sure the monitor is powered up, before attempting
to restore the computer. Perhaps the video card has attempted
to reach the monitor via the DDC serial interface on the video
cable. But I've experimented with that once, and didn't see any
dependency with my hardware here.

Also, when you say it seems to "continue windows", what proof
do you have that Windows is running ? Can you ping the P5AD2
from another computer ? Is a shared disk on the P5AD2 reachable
by another computer ?

Paul

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse
In article , "Peter Larsen"
wrote:

well it seem to "continue windows", but the screen stays black with no
signal....

"Peter Larsen" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi there

Can anyone tell me how BIOS shold be set in regards to PowerManagement?
Also if things are set up in BIOS then what to do in WinXPpro SP2?

Well sometimes when my pc goes to sleep, it won't start again.. really
anoying.

Just some guesses:

1) Check Windows Event Log for error messages involving ACPI
or the like.

2) Get a copy of dumppo.exe from Microsoft, and check what ACPI
states are supported. Since you seem to be using S3 Suspend
To Ram, it will likely claim to be supported.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oem...cpi/dumppo.exe

From a MSDOS (command) window: