Warning on SATA drive connectors

Old February 12th 05, 04:13 AM
peter

Default Warning on SATA drive connectors

Flimsy little pieces of crap!!
I feel better already.
A couple of weeks ago while tidying inside my case I accidentally hit the
SATA connector on the HD and it broke off.I did not hit it hard,,,but I
guess hard enough.I managed to re-connect and run but I ordered another HD
and the new more secure connectors just in case.
When the HD came( minus the new connectors...on back order) I removed the HD
cage and installed the new drive thinking I would "ghost" everything
over.......well surprise surprise!!
No matter what I tried I could not get that original Sata HD connected.On my
A7N8X del ver2 .
The little plastic piece that was on the HD is stuck inside the Sata
connector!!
The pins are mostly intact on the drive they just wont hold a
connection........any ideas???
I just spend 2 days rebuilding everything......The backups did work but only
after I had XP installed and due to the fact that it was an upgrade edition
of XP I had to install ME first(backup copy which XP will not read ...I lost
the original years ago in a move)Me would not install on a SATA drive that I
had already formatted and partitioned....wouldn't even see the drive.I had
to install onto an EIDE drive ....So i thought why not set up a dual
boot?(just in case I break another connector)
Now that everything is back and up and running I thought I would just issue
a warning about those lousy flimsy connectors........and the newer more
secure ones are really not any better since you have to use a Molex power
connector not the Sata power connector with them.
Thanks for listening
peter

Old February 12th 05, 01:08 PM
Roy Coorne

peter schrieb:
after I had XP installed and due to the fact that it was an upgrade edition
of XP I had to install ME first...

When installing XP from your upgrade edition CD, it should be
sufficient to insert the ME CD for a short while when prompted...

Roy
Old February 12th 05, 07:02 PM
Nero

True indeed..............no need to install other version first not even if
the other version was an upgrade .
The home xp cd full or upgrade or oem has exactly the same files.

Old February 13th 05, 02:00 AM
peter

Because it was a "burned" copy of the original ME CD XP did not read the
copy....or maybe it was because there is other stuff on the CD as
well....who knows.It has never read that CD properly and it will not let you
direct it to the proper directory where ME is located on the CD.
What no comments on the cheap broken connection???
peter

Old February 13th 05, 12:12 PM
warranty_NOT

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 02:00:39 GMT, "peter" wrote:

What no comments on the cheap broken connection???
peter

That single wire sure is sexy though, isn't it ?

Suckers

Old February 14th 05, 01:46 AM
wazza

warranty_NOT wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 02:00:39 GMT, "peter" wrote:

What no comments on the cheap broken connection???
peter

That single wire sure is sexy though, isn't it ?

Suckers

Maybe he should take more care?

Old February 14th 05, 04:17 AM

OK. Why not use some epoxy to fix that connector. There's no damage to
the electronics or to the drive mechanism, am I right?

It may not be that hard to do. You may want to reinforce it even
further.

Old February 15th 05, 12:37 AM
peter

Actually I am still trying to get the little plastic piece that broke off
the drive out of the connector on the cable.
I tried tweezers/needle nose pliers/very pointy knife...........none of it
worked.
any ideas out there??
peter
oups.com...

Old February 15th 05, 12:45 AM
Michael W. Ryder

peter wrote:

Actually I am still trying to get the little plastic piece that broke off
the drive out of the connector on the cable.
I tried tweezers/needle nose pliers/very pointy knife...........none of it
worked.
any ideas out there??

You could try threading a small screw into the piece (like they do to
extract broken screws) if there is enough room. Failing that you could
try to heat a straightened paper clip enough to allow it to be pushed
into the plastic. When it is cooled down see if it will allow you to
pull out the piece. Otherwise you may have to break the plastic piece
up without damaging the connector.

peter
oups.com...

Old February 16th 05, 01:56 AM
peter

Thanks
I got the little plastic piece out of the connector now the problem is
hooking it back up to the HD long enough to get some info off
it..........remember that little piece originally was attached to the HD.
I tried holding it by hand...........no luck...........well short term luck
but I could not hold it that steady for long...got 1 file.
It looks like I damaged the pins on the HD some are extremely short.
I remember someone in here having an argument about wether SATA were "hot
pluggable" well I can definitly say yes to that.
I had the power plugged in but no data connector.....and I did manage to get
some data off it after plugging in the connector while power and computer
was on.
I am wondering if a very small set of 2way alligator clips would work by
attaching them pin by pin from HD to Cable??
peter
"Michael W. Ryder" wrote in message
peter wrote:

Actually I am still trying to get the little plastic piece that broke off
the drive out of the connector on the cable.
I tried tweezers/needle nose pliers/very pointy knife...........none of
it worked.
any ideas out there??

You could try threading a small screw into the piece (like they do to
extract broken screws) if there is enough room. Failing that you could
try to heat a straightened paper clip enough to allow it to be pushed into
the plastic. When it is cooled down see if it will allow you to pull out
the piece. Otherwise you may have to break the plastic piece up without
damaging the connector.

peter
oups.com...