K8V SE Deluxe Audio Question

Old August 10th 04, 05:55 AM
BroLee

Default K8V SE Deluxe Audio Question

It was my understanding that the rear audio would cease to function if the
front panel audio connector was in use ie. a headphone was plugged in(I'm
using an Antec Sonata case). I can get around this issue by turning my
speakers down(just a generic 2 speaker set), but the A7N8X-E Deluxe I was
using previously didn't behave in this fashion. Just curious.

TIA for any insight.
Old August 10th 04, 08:36 AM
Paul

In article , BroLee
wrote:

It was my understanding that the rear audio would cease to function if the
front panel audio connector was in use ie. a headphone was plugged in(I'm
using an Antec Sonata case). I can get around this issue by turning my
speakers down(just a generic 2 speaker set), but the A7N8X-E Deluxe I was
using previously didn't behave in this fashion. Just curious.

TIA for any insight.

I ripped the connector assembly out of my Sonata when I got it, so it
is sitting here in front of me.

The front panel connector assembly has a USB, a Firewire, and an audio
cable. The audio cable ends in a 2x5 connector, with one pin blocked,
which is the normal 9 pin FP_AUDIO pattern. But, only 7 wires are
installed in the plastic shroud, and little wires also come out of
the shroud, for situations where the standard 2x5 is not sufficient.

(Sonata) --- K8V SE FP_AUDIO Header -- (Sonata)

green ret_l BLINE_OUT_L x x Line out_L orange fpout_L
(none) x NC (none)
black ret_r BLINE_OUT_R x x Line out_R yellow fpout_R
(none) +5VA x x MICPWR brown MIC_bias
grey aud_gnd AGND x x MIC2 red MIC

The Sonata wiring is correct.

I even took my ohmmeter, and measured from ret_l to fpout_l,
and when a plug is inserted in the lime green jack, the
connection between those two wires goes open circuit. That
is the mute function. I checked the right channel as well.
(My ohmmeter has sewing needles for tips, so it is easy to plug
them into the wires.) The jacks on the Sonata circuit board
are the appropriate 5 pin, interrupting kind.

In terms of how the signal travels, it starts at Line_out_L,
goes up the orange wire (fpout_l), to the switch in the lime
green jack on the Sonata front panel, then back down the ret_l
wire, where it goes into BLINE_OUT_L and across the motherboard
to the lime green Lineout jack on the back of your computer
case.

For the mute to work, the headphone has to be plugged in far
enough to cause the contacts to open in the jack.

I don't know what to suggest, because plugging the 2x5
connector should give instant and correct wiring, as far as I
can determine here.

HTH,
Paul
Old August 10th 04, 02:53 PM
BroLee

(Paul) wrote in
:

In article , BroLee
wrote:

[...]

Paul,

Thanks for your efforts and information. I'll yank my front panel to
see if everything is in order.