Soundblaster 16 isa 2.1 pci compliant ?

Old June 23rd 04, 09:45 PM
Skybuck Flying

Default Soundblaster 16 isa 2.1 pci compliant ?

Hi,

I am looking through my asus p3v4x bios and manual to see if there is
anything that can be done to remove the crackling of the sound etc...

I came across this option:

Delayed Transaction.

It's default on disabled.

I need to find out if my old Soundblaster 16 isa is 2.1 PCI compliant.

It also seems a bit weird to me... how can an ISA card be PCI compliant ?

I can imagine some isa to pci bridge

Anyway I found a nice like about 2.1 PCI compliant and delayed transaction.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx...ar1=0&var2=127

Maybe because this is disabled it creates a crackling sounds... - I am just
pure guessing and hoping for the best.

Maybe I should just try it...

First I am going to try and find some more info about SB16 isa.

P.S.: My SBlive never work with P3V4X it probably doesn't even fit right and
is not detected... maybe I just have a damaged P3V4X motherboard

Anyway I am not going to try and install that card again

I have one more question... the PCI Latency timer is on 32. Can I change
this value to something else so maybe the crackling goes away ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 4th 04, 04:59 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Skybuck Flying schrieb:

Hi,

I am looking through my asus p3v4x bios and manual to see if there is
anything that can be done to remove the crackling of the sound etc...

I came across this option:

Delayed Transaction.

It's default on disabled.

Then enable it. I once had crackling problems with the sound card (some
SB16 PnP) when the ISA NIC was used at the same time on an old GA-586HX;
after flashing the last BIOS, the option appeared and turning it on
fixed the problem.

I have one more question... the PCI Latency timer is on 32. Can I change
this value to something else so maybe the crackling goes away ?

Generally 32 is quite OK, though VIA PCI tweaking can be somewhat of a
science by itself...

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
Old July 4th 04, 11:47 PM
Ian

In message , Stephan Grossklass
writes
Skybuck Flying schrieb:

Hi,

I am looking through my asus p3v4x bios and manual to see if there is
anything that can be done to remove the crackling of the sound etc...

I came across this option:

Delayed Transaction.

It's default on disabled.

Then enable it. I once had crackling problems with the sound card (some
SB16 PnP) when the ISA NIC was used at the same time on an old GA-586HX;
after flashing the last BIOS, the option appeared and turning it on
fixed the problem.

I have one more question... the PCI Latency timer is on 32. Can I change
this value to something else so maybe the crackling goes away ?

Generally 32 is quite OK, though VIA PCI tweaking can be somewhat of a
science by itself...

Stephan

If you go in to your sound card properties, I forget where, you can turn
down Hardware Acceleration.

That stopped the crackling for me, and for others, I believe.
--
J.L.Muir