Win2k Networking driver failure after upgrade to A7N8X-E from a VIA-based board

Old May 25th 04, 03:39 PM
Mike

Default Win2k Networking driver failure after upgrade to A7N8X-E from a VIA-based board

Hi,

I recently upgraded my m/b from a VIA based board to the A7N8X-E My
hope was to avoid re-installing Win2k when doing it.

Initially I had issues with VIA specific IDE drivers that I had to
back out to the more generic Win2k ones prior to replacing the m/b
(without doing so, it would bluescreen while trying to boot into
windows). Now I'm having issues with the networking. In short - none
will work. Not the onboard ports, not even a PCI card.

What I'm seeing is an error during Win2k's driver installation
procedure which implies that a prerequisite driver has not been
installed. This is the case with any network driver installation.

I've done the installation of the nForce2 drivers from the ASUS disk
several times now, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm assuming this is
the issue - some sort of VIA based network library has taken up
residence in Win2k and refuses to leave.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem? If not, does anyone know
how all these things are supposed to play together? Like I said I'm
hoping to avoid reinstalling Win2k.

Thanks,
Mike
Old May 25th 04, 07:11 PM
Kylesb

Did your old system have APIC enabled? APIC is enabled by default with
the a7n8x-dlx that I own, and may be with your mobo. What does device
manager tell you about your device status, and system hardware info?
You can try to uninstall any VIA related hardware using device
manager.

An "in place" reinstall will fix up your hardware problems with out
causing a loss of program settings and account data. Search google
for the exact procedure to use.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
om...

Old May 25th 04, 11:16 PM
Tim

As Kyle says an "In Place" or Repair Install is in order. When you change
the h.w, windows needs to know about it.

See

for instructions.

- Tim