Windows xp cannot power down computer

Old December 17th 03, 09:23 AM
Eric

Default Windows xp cannot power down computer

Hi to all of you!

I've installed Windows xp and everything is working fine, except for the
shutdown procedure. After shutting down the system, I get the message 'It is
now safe to turn off your computer" and I have to press and hold the power
button for about 5 seconds in order to turn off the machine (one brief press
doesn't work!).
I enabled APM in the power options (thus tab APM is available), but this
causes the machine to restart!

The best thing would be to turn off the machine automatically, the seconds
best thing, but still acceptable, is the "it is now safe to turn off
"-message after which you have to press the button briefly.

Here's some more information:
- award bios v4.51
- amd k6-400 Mhz
- windows xp
- motherboard? I don't know, how can I figure that out?

Does anyone know a solution for my problem?

Thanks in advance!

Old December 17th 03, 02:11 PM

Eric wrote:

[...]

You don't have an AT power supply on this MB, do you??? If you do, it
will NOT shut the power down.

Old December 17th 03, 08:02 PM
Noozer

I've installed Windows xp and everything is working fine, except for the
shutdown procedure. After shutting down the system, I get the message

'It is
now safe to turn off your computer" and I have to press and hold the

power
button for about 5 seconds in order to turn off the machine (one brief

press
doesn't work!).
I enabled APM in the power options (thus tab APM is available), but this
causes the machine to restart!

You don't have an AT power supply on this MB, do you??? If you do, it
will NOT shut the power down.

If he did, the front power button would work instantly. Good try though!

It's probably a combination of BIOS settings, mainboard and how Windows read
the hardware when it was installed.

Old December 18th 03, 12:04 AM

Noozer wrote:
I've installed Windows xp and everything is working fine, except for the
shutdown procedure. After shutting down the system, I get the message

'It is

now safe to turn off your computer" and I have to press and hold the

power

button for about 5 seconds in order to turn off the machine (one brief

press

doesn't work!).
I enabled APM in the power options (thus tab APM is available), but this
causes the machine to restart!

You don't have an AT power supply on this MB, do you??? If you do, it
will NOT shut the power down.

If he did, the front power button would work instantly. Good try though!

It's probably a combination of BIOS settings, mainboard and how Windows read
the hardware when it was installed.

Whoops!!!! I missed the comment about the power button.

Old December 18th 03, 12:04 AM
Randy

Try
Control Panel|Power Options|Advanced|Power Buttons
Change "When I Press the power button on my computer:" to "Shut Down"

Old December 18th 03, 01:50 AM
CK

[...]

Isn't there an option in the BIOS to determine the function of the power
button? IIRC, "Instant Off" and "Wait 5 secs" are both options.

Old December 18th 03, 09:14 AM
Eric

Thanks for all replies!
"CK" wrote in message

You don't have an AT power supply on this MB, do you??? If you do, it
will NOT shut the power down.

It could be: I took a look at the power supply, but unfortunately, there
isn't a label of a brand

If he did, the front power button would work instantly. Good try

though!

It's probably a combination of BIOS settings, mainboard and how

Windows
read
the hardware when it was installed.

Try
Control Panel|Power Options|Advanced|Power Buttons
Change "When I Press the power button on my computer:" to "Shut Down"

Thanks, I'll check this out!

Isn't there an option in the BIOS to determine the function of the power
button? IIRC, "Instant Off" and "Wait 5 secs" are both options.

Yes, there are, and the current setting is 'Instant Off'. This works as
longs as Windows xp hasn't been started; and it does NOT work anymore once
xp has been started. I have to press and hold the button for about 5 seconds
in order to turn the machine off, even when the 'it is now safe to turn off'
message appears.

Old December 18th 03, 11:31 PM
Randy

Maybe try: