AMD Turion 64 and Windows 7

Old June 13th 10, 01:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Xavi

Default AMD Turion 64 and Windows 7

Hi!

I'm the owner of a notebook Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1667EX with a AMD
Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 processor.
After several tries and a BIOS upgrade, I've installed Windows 7 on
that machine, it works pretty well, but I have a problem with the
processor.
According to Windows Upgrade Advisor my processor works at 800 MHz, so
it won't work properly under Windows 7, which requires a minimun 1
GHz.
This processor works at 2 GHz but it does so thanks to a driver. This
driver for Windows XP was furnished with the netbook, but I haven't
been able to find it for Windows 7.
Does anyone knows if this driver exists? If so, where can I find it?
Is there any other possibility to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance for your help... :-)

Saludos.

Xavi
Old June 13th 10, 02:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

On 13/06/2010 13:34, * Xavi:

I'm the owner of a notebook Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1667EX with a AMD
Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 processor.
After several tries and a BIOS upgrade, I've installed Windows 7 on
that machine, it works pretty well, but I have a problem with the
processor.

What problems?

According to Windows Upgrade Advisor my processor works at 800 MHz, so
it won't work properly under Windows 7, which requires a minimun 1
GHz.

Your processor runs at 2GHz, however it can clock down to 800MHz to save
energy. If it does depends on the power management settings within Windows.

This processor works at 2 GHz but it does so thanks to a driver.

Certainly not. There is no processor "driver". There however are drivers
for power management.

This
driver for Windows XP was furnished with the netbook, but I haven't
been able to find it for Windows 7.
Does anyone knows if this driver exists? If so, where can I find it?

A power management driver does exist, and already comes with Windows 7.
You had to download it for Windowsxp because this 9 year old operating
system knew nothing about the power management capabilities of modern
processors. Windows 7 does, and therefore doesn't need a separate driver.

Benjamin
Old June 13th 10, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Xavi

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:48:06 +0100, Benjamin Gawert
wrote:

On 13/06/2010 13:34, * Xavi:

I'm the owner of a notebook Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1667EX with a AMD
Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 processor.
After several tries and a BIOS upgrade, I've installed Windows 7 on
that machine, it works pretty well, but I have a problem with the
processor.

What problems?

The system runs slowlier than with WinXP, mainly when multithreading.

According to Windows Upgrade Advisor my processor works at 800 MHz, so
it won't work properly under Windows 7, which requires a minimun 1
GHz.

Your processor runs at 2GHz, however it can clock down to 800MHz to save
energy. If it does depends on the power management settings within Windows.

Take a look at that (http://yfrog.com/escpujj), please. It's the
Windows Upgrade Advisor report, running under Win7 already installed
in the system.

It's in spanish, but the two areas marked in red say "CPU speed: 800
MHz" and "CPU doesn't meet the minimum requirement of 1 GHz,
therefore, it's possible that the computer run slower when running
Windows 7. Contact the manufacturer or distributor of the computer to
see if an update is available for the CPU."

This processor works at 2 GHz but it does so thanks to a driver.

Certainly not. There is no processor "driver". There however are drivers
for power management.

This
driver for Windows XP was furnished with the netbook, but I haven't
been able to find it for Windows 7.
Does anyone knows if this driver exists? If so, where can I find it?

A power management driver does exist, and already comes with Windows 7.
You had to download it for Windowsxp because this 9 year old operating
system knew nothing about the power management capabilities of modern
processors. Windows 7 does, and therefore doesn't need a separate driver.

OK! So... here come some extra questions:

- Is my system working ALWAYS at 800 MHz? Or CPU speed varies
depending on the requirements?

- If it's working always at 800 MHz, how can I set the power
management options to have it working at full capacity?

Thanks for your help... :-)

Saludos.

Xavi
Old June 13th 10, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

On 13/06/2010 17:10, * Xavi:
I'm the owner of a notebook Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1667EX with a AMD
Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 processor.
After several tries and a BIOS upgrade, I've installed Windows 7 on
that machine, it works pretty well, but I have a problem with the
processor.

What problems?

The system runs slowlier than with WinXP, mainly when multithreading.

Have you checked the power management settings that the system doesn't
run in power saving mode? Additionally, how much RAM does your system
have? And did you do a fresh install of Win7 or an upgrade from Windowsxp?

Your processor runs at 2GHz, however it can clock down to 800MHz to save
energy. If it does depends on the power management settings within Windows.

Take a look at that (http://yfrog.com/escpujj), please.

The upgrade advisor is not always right, so you should just forget about
it. You have a 2GHz CPU which is more than fine for Win7.

BTW: even when the upgrade advisor says otherwise Win7 runs fine on a
computer with less than 1GHz.

OK! So... here come some extra questions:

- Is my system working ALWAYS at 800 MHz? Or CPU speed varies
depending on the requirements?

This depends on the power management settings.

- If it's working always at 800 MHz, how can I set the power
management options to have it working at full capacity?

Go into Control Panel - Power Options and set it to "High Performance"
(or the equivalent in your language setting).

Benjamin
Old June 13th 10, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Xavi

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:22:10 +0100, Benjamin Gawert
wrote:

On 13/06/2010 17:10, * Xavi:
I'm the owner of a notebook Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1667EX with a AMD
Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37 processor.
After several tries and a BIOS upgrade, I've installed Windows 7 on
that machine, it works pretty well, but I have a problem with the
processor.

What problems?

The system runs slowlier than with WinXP, mainly when multithreading.

Have you checked the power management settings that the system doesn't
run in power saving mode? Additionally, how much RAM does your system
have? And did you do a fresh install of Win7 or an upgrade from Windowsxp?

Yes, it was in power saving mode. After your first answer I changed it
to "High Performance" and ran again the upgrade advisor and it kept
saying 'CPU speed 800 MHz'.

Your processor runs at 2GHz, however it can clock down to 800MHz to save
energy. If it does depends on the power management settings within Windows.

Take a look at that (http://yfrog.com/escpujj), please.

The upgrade advisor is not always right, so you should just forget about
it. You have a 2GHz CPU which is more than fine for Win7.

I've run Everest Lavalys and it says that CPU speed is 2 GHz.

BTW: even when the upgrade advisor says otherwise Win7 runs fine on a
computer with less than 1GHz.

OK! So... here come some extra questions:

- Is my system working ALWAYS at 800 MHz? Or CPU speed varies
depending on the requirements?

This depends on the power management settings.

- If it's working always at 800 MHz, how can I set the power
management options to have it working at full capacity?

Go into Control Panel - Power Options and set it to "High Performance"
(or the equivalent in your language setting).

I've done it, now I have to try wether it has some influence in system
speed or not.

Thanks for your help... :-)

Saludos.

Xavi
Old June 14th 10, 05:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* Xavi:

Yes, it was in power saving mode. After your first answer I changed it
to "High Performance" and ran again the upgrade advisor and it kept
saying 'CPU speed 800 MHz'.

Then the Upgrade Advisor has probably problems detecting your CPU correctly.

I've run Everest Lavalys and it says that CPU speed is 2 GHz.

You can also go to the Start menue - Accessories - System Tools -
System Information and see what it says.

But if you have a Turion64 ML-37 processor then it runs at 2GHz.

Benjamin
Old June 14th 10, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Xavi

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 05:38:31 +0100, Benjamin Gawert
wrote:

Yes, it was in power saving mode. After your first answer I changed it
to "High Performance" and ran again the upgrade advisor and it kept
saying 'CPU speed 800 MHz'.

Then the Upgrade Advisor has probably problems detecting your CPU correctly.

What could it be due to? Misconfiguration of my computer?

I've run Everest Lavalys and it says that CPU speed is 2 GHz.

You can also go to the Start menue - Accessories - System Tools -
System Information and see what it says.

But if you have a Turion64 ML-37 processor then it runs at 2GHz.

OK, I see, thanks again...

Saludos.

Xavi
Old June 15th 10, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Benjamin Gawert

* Xavi:

Then the Upgrade Advisor has probably problems detecting your CPU
correctly.

What could it be due to? Misconfiguration of my computer?

Probably more due to a problem with the Upgrade Advisor itself. As I
said, it isn't perfect, and besides that, it also isn't intended to be
run from within Windows 7.

Just forget about the Upgrade Advisor.

Benjamin
Old June 15th 10, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Xavi

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:00:47 +0100, Benjamin Gawert
wrote:

Then the Upgrade Advisor has probably problems detecting your CPU
correctly.

What could it be due to? Misconfiguration of my computer?

Probably more due to a problem with the Upgrade Advisor itself. As I
said, it isn't perfect, and besides that, it also isn't intended to be
run from within Windows 7.

When I ran it within Windows XP it said the processor was OK.

Just forget about the Upgrade Advisor.

Forget about what? ;-)

Thanks again... :-)

Saludos.

Xavi
Old December 1st 13, 11:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
[email protected]

Τη Κυριακή, 13 Ιουνίου 2010 3:34:33 μ.μ. UTC+3, ο χρήστης Xavi *γραψε:
[...]

OK, I know the thread is three years old, however I just had to answer in case someone else is looking for a fix for this issue:

There seems to be a bug with power saving in the Turion processors, which could be fixed via a BIOS update (in my case there was never any newer BIOS to provide this update). I had found a thread a few years back (which, unfortunately I can't remember). It suggested overwriting a windows 7 file with an XP one and installing Rightmark CPU clock. It worked for me.

Turion 64 Neo Dell Computers 0 January 24th 06 09:53 PM
Turion X2 FTr2X7 AMD x86-64 Processors 1 May 24th 05 08:38 PM
Turion is out Yousuf Khan AMD x86-64 Processors 3 March 13th 05 08:39 PM
Turion is out Yousuf Khan General 3 March 13th 05 08:39 PM
Turion? Sayso Takewashi Homebuilt PC's 0 January 8th 05 07:58 PM