Mobo fails POST with 6800GT

Old September 23rd 04, 11:11 AM
Vu

Default Mobo fails POST with 6800GT

Hi all,
I finally got my Leadtek 6800GT

But... (there's always a but

My motherboard doesn't seem to support it:
CPU - AMD AthlonXP 1800+
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-7DXR+
RAM - 1GB, mixed brands
PSU - 400w (dunno the brand)
Graphics - Leadtek Geforce 6800GT

Now I know my system is old and in need of an upgrade, but I expected
the graphics card to at least work at AGP4x. The Mobo is AGP2x/4x, and
it's a universal AGP slot capable of 1.5v, and the BIOS is set to AGP4x.
So... is this Leadtek card not going to work with AGP4x at all?

When I turn the system on the board gives a long beep followed by two
short beeps. I read that this means it's an AGP issue...

Any help?
Thanks,

--

Vu.

Old September 23rd 04, 11:43 AM
bp

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:11:02 GMT, "Vu" wrote:

Hi all,
I finally got my Leadtek 6800GT

But... (there's always a but

My motherboard doesn't seem to support it:
CPU - AMD AthlonXP 1800+
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-7DXR+
RAM - 1GB, mixed brands
PSU - 400w (dunno the brand)
Graphics - Leadtek Geforce 6800GT

Now I know my system is old and in need of an upgrade, but I expected
the graphics card to at least work at AGP4x. The Mobo is AGP2x/4x, and
it's a universal AGP slot capable of 1.5v, and the BIOS is set to AGP4x.
So... is this Leadtek card not going to work with AGP4x at all?

When I turn the system on the board gives a long beep followed by two
short beeps. I read that this means it's an AGP issue...

Any help?
Thanks,

You did supply power to it right ?

Old September 23rd 04, 02:01 PM
robin.gordon1

I agree when I put my card it kept along deafening beep which I discovered
was the fact that I hadn't plugged in a Molex connector onto the card.

Robin

Old September 23rd 04, 03:56 PM
Vu

"bp" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah I did. I got the loud screeching sound when I forgot to plug in the
power on the other motherboard (Gigabyte 8IPE1000 Pro 2).

The beeps I get with the 6800 + 7DXR+ are the motherboard telling me
something's
wrong. I tried unplugging all the hard disks and CD-ROMS leaving just the
Video card plugged in, same beeps.

Any more suggestions?

Vu.

Old September 23rd 04, 04:09 PM
Vu

Actually having just had another look at the card, it doesn't have the
AGP4x key, just the 8x one, so I guess it won't work

--

Vu.

Old September 23rd 04, 04:10 PM
Phil

"Vu" wrote in message
"bp" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried reseating it?

My Gainward GF4 Ti is a bit picky on how it goes in to my A7N8X-X...even
when I think it's in properly, I'll get a long beep and have to take it out
and put it back again. (This only happens when I swap out the graphics card,
never after it's been screwed in)

Old September 24th 04, 02:08 AM
bp

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:56:46 GMT, "Vu" wrote:

"bp" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

http://www.sysopt.com/biosbmc.html

Says its a video failure sounds like RMA time
Vu.

Old September 24th 04, 02:18 AM
Lachoneus

Actually having just had another look at the card, it doesn't have the
AGP4x key, just the 8x one, so I guess it won't work

Actually, there is no 4x key or 8x key. There's a 3.3V key on the side
of the connector closest to where the monitor plugs in, and there's a
1.5V key on the other side.

Old 3.3V AGP cards (1x/2x) have only the 3.3V key.

AGP 4x and 8x cards have the 1.5V key, and possibly both. (Both my old
4x AGP Ti4200 and my new 8x AGP FX5900 have both keys.)

Despite using 0.8V signaling, AGP 8x cards are keyed the same as 1.5V,
probably to make it easier to make cards that will work at both speeds.
AFAIK, the spec says that AGP 8x cards are required to tolerate
the 1.5V signal, although they're not required to work. In my (limited)
experience, though, I've never seen an 8x card not work in a 4x board.

Old September 24th 04, 05:16 AM
Vu

http://www.sysopt.com/biosbmc.html

Says its a video failure sounds like RMA time

Thanks for the link. The card is perfectly fine though,
I have it in another machine at the moment.
It looks like it just won't work at AGP4x.

Vu.