Homebuilt computer has slowed noticably.... why?

Old September 2nd 18, 04:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default Homebuilt computer has slowed noticably.... why?

My home built is getting a bit old, but within the last weeks has
noticable slowed in many operations. For example, in Photoshop, using
the erasure tool; before, erasures were instanteous. Erased materal
instantly disappeared from the scene. Now, it sometimes disappears,
and sometimes the dissappearance lags the erasure in what seems an
erernity, but is probably a second or so. The same lag appears in
simple operations in other programs as well, Thumbs up, my program for
cataloging images, and Rootsmagic, my genealogy program.

Here's my system. I'm guessing it has to do with the Intel microcode
"fixes". If so, is there any way to improve performance? Perhaps a
more modern processor? If it's the microcode, can the fix be removed?

Windows 10 Pro ver 1803 Latest update KB4100347 included the Intel
microcode fixes (8/26/2018)

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-3962-KR 4GB SC GAMING (8/7/2015)

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 88W
BX80646I54690K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 (7/10/2015)

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK (rev. 1.0) LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s
USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (7/10/2015)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
(PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM (7/10/2015)

Intel 730 Series 2.5" 480GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive
(SSD) SSDSC2BP480G4R5 (12/3/2014)(The Intel SSD is a carryover from
the drive in my previous system... do SSD's slow down? Computer
Management says it's 446.668 GB with 288.85 GB free)

I also have 2 3 TB spinning drives for data and backups. I don't think
either one is a factor in this, as they've been in the system long
before this started.
Old September 2nd 18, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

The slow-down is most likely a software issue.

Pardon me to jump to conclusion:

Get/Buy a cheap spare hard disk and clean-install Win 10. See if
everything runs smoothly then. If it really does, you should consider a
full backup of everything and do a clean install with the original hard
disk.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不*錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
Old September 2nd 18, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 01:06:44 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

The slow-down is most likely a software issue.

Pardon me to jump to conclusion:

Get/Buy a cheap spare hard disk and clean-install Win 10. See if
everything runs smoothly then. If it really does, you should consider a
full backup of everything and do a clean install with the original hard
disk.

Thanks for the suggestion..... but I have a problem. I have a Win 10
ISO disk, downloaded and saved some time ago, but my Win 10 was an
upgrade from Win 7, and don't have access to my Win 7 product key.
That is, I have it, but it's boxed away in one of dozens of boxes
packed away a year ago after storing everything that wasn't damaged in
the flood of Harvey. Is there some way to read the installed key from
my current installation so I can activate the "new" installation?
Old September 2nd 18, 07:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

wrote:

The slow-down is most likely a software issue.

Pardon me to jump to conclusion:

Get/Buy a cheap spare hard disk and clean-install Win 10. See if
everything runs smoothly then. If it really does, you should consider a
full backup of everything and do a clean install with the original hard
disk.

Thanks for the suggestion..... but I have a problem. I have a Win 10
ISO disk, downloaded and saved some time ago, but my Win 10 was an
upgrade from Win 7, and don't have access to my Win 7 product key.
That is, I have it, but it's boxed away in one of dozens of boxes
packed away a year ago after storing everything that wasn't damaged in
the flood of Harvey. Is there some way to read the installed key from
my current installation so I can activate the "new" installation?

I googled basically this question, and found that what I should be
asking for is a digital licensa, since I upgraded from Win 7. I don't
recall ever "seeing" the license....
Old September 2nd 18, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
[...]

The Intel Processor Identification Utility (PIU),
the "revision" field indicates what Microcode
version is installed.

The software package in question, likely involves
changing the hardlink from WinSxS to these files.
You may find several versions of these files in WinSxS.

C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll
C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll

The microcode file is likely stored *inside* the DLL,
rather than being a separate data file.

There is a DOS version of the Intel utility, which
is good for indicating the "BIOS" version of microcode.

Once the OS boots, then you can check the Windows version,
to see what the mcupdate installed. The microcode loader
should run, then exit, early in the boot process, as
its job is done by then.

Mine is currently showing 428 in Intel PIU, which means *none*
of the ones below have been applied by Microsoft to my
Ivy Bridge E. But more modern processors, you never know.

Intel Microcode Revision Guidance (April 2, 2018) (Ver=42C)

https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-conten...e-guidance.pdf

Intel Microcode Revision Guidance July 3, 2018 (Ver=42D)

https://web.archive.org/web/20180703...e-guidance.pdf

Intel Microcode Revision Guidance August 8, 2018 (Ver=42D)

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...e-guidance.pdf

And this is my Win10 install state. Currently it
still has April dated files. AFAIK, this is basically
in original 1803 install state (not patched).

https://s33.postimg.cc/5xlvgznkv/win...sion_field.gif

Microsoft may be selectively patching machines. That's
a possibility that may become evident by examining
file dates on those mcupdate things.

*******

Intel has download pages for the raw microcode file.
This is what Linux distros would use. The package
page comes with a release note, and the revision
on the left would be the revision before Spectre/Meltdown
fix was released. Mine is 428 in the note, and mine is still
428 today.

Intel Processor Microcode Package for Linux 20180108 Release
-- Updates upon 20171117 release --
IVT C0 (06-3e-04:ed) 428-42a === my CPU barely made the list (Launch Date Q3'13)
SKL-U/Y D0 (06-4e-03:c0) ba-c2
BDW-U/Y E/F (06-3d-04:c0) 25-28
HSW-ULT Cx/Dx (06-45-01:72) 20-21
Crystalwell Cx (06-46-01:32) 17-18
BDW-H E/G (06-47-01:22) 17-1b
HSX-EX E0 (06-3f-04:80) 0f-10
SKL-H/S R0 (06-5e-03:36) ba-c2
HSW Cx/Dx (06-3c-03:32) 22-23
HSX C0 (06-3f-02:6f) 3a-3b
BDX-DE V0/V1 (06-56-02:10) 0f-14
BDX-DE V2 (06-56-03:10) 700000d-7000011
KBL-U/Y H0 (06-8e-09:c0) 62-80
KBL Y0 / CFL D0 (06-8e-0a:c0) 70-80
KBL-H/S B0 (06-9e-09:2a) 5e-80
CFL U0 (06-9e-0a:22) 70-80
CFL B0 (06-9e-0b:02) 72-80
SKX H0 (06-55-04:b7) 2000035-200003c
GLK B0 (06-7a-01:01) 1e-22

You could compare your Intel PIU results to
that snapshot in time.

Using archive.org, you can walk this link backwards in
time, to find other release notes.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28087?v=t

Paul
Old September 2nd 18, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 9/3/2018 2:17 AM, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion..... but I have a problem. I have a Win 10
ISO disk, downloaded and saved some time ago, but my Win 10 was an
upgrade from Win 7, and don't have access to my Win 7 product key.
That is, I have it, but it's boxed away in one of dozens of boxes
packed away a year ago after storing everything that wasn't damaged in
the flood of Harvey. Is there some way to read the installed key from
my current installation so I can activate the "new" installation?

I googled basically this question, and found that what I should be
asking for is a digital licensa, since I upgraded from Win 7. I don't
recall ever "seeing" the license....

If you had upgraded your Win 7 using its product key, then you got a
life digital entitlement to use Win 10 in the same machine.

Just download the Win 10 ISO and install it using the Win 7 product key.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/soft...load/windows10

There is a trick to use to download the ISO from the official link
above. I am doing it with Firefox and an add-on that changes user-agent
string.

https://pureinfotech.com/download-wi...creation-tool/

Old September 2nd 18, 09:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

[...]

If your hardware was the same as it was when the Win10 upgrade
was installed, the "digital license" stored on the Microsoft
server is still valid.

If you clean install Windows 10 (on exactly the same hardware
config as before), the OS computes a "hash" that includes
the NIC MAC address, and forwards that to Microsoft. The
Microsoft server looks up that hash value and can see your
digital license. And it returns some sort of token to the
machine, completing activation.

With Windows 10, you have nothing to worry about.

*******

If you use an MSA (Microsoft Account) as well, then
the MSA is recorded against the hardware hash. If
you move the OS to a new machine later, the MSA
provides proof you had some sort of license
previously. And this may allow a new machine to
be commissioned, using the old installation
digital license.

You can use slmgr /dlv to dump some info about
the install. Although I don't think there is
anything of real value there.

If you use MagicJellyBean to dump the key, you
will see "3V66T" or similar ending. These are
"fake" keys, all the same, used if everyone
has Pro say. Reusing that key should do you
no good whatsoever. It's not valid for
reactivation, and you'd be wasting your time
to attack the problem that way.

The information is all stored on the Microsoft end.

If you change out the motherboard, that screws up
the hash, and chances are, you'll need to phone
the number presented on your computer screen if that
happens.

Paul
Old September 3rd 18, 05:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 16:46:21 -0400, Paul wrote:

| If you use an MSA (Microsoft Account) as well, then
| the MSA is recorded against the hardware hash. If
| you move the OS to a new machine later, the MSA
| provides proof you had some sort of license
| previously. And this may allow a new machine to
| be commissioned, using the old installation
| digital license.
|
| You can use slmgr /dlv to dump some info about
| the install. Although I don't think there is
| anything of real value there.
|
| If you use MagicJellyBean to dump the key, you
| will see "3V66T" or similar ending. These are
| "fake" keys, all the same, used if everyone
| has Pro say. Reusing that key should do you
| no good whatsoever. It's not valid for
| reactivation, and you'd be wasting your time
| to attack the problem that way.
|
| The information is all stored on the Microsoft end.
|
| If you change out the motherboard, that screws up
| the hash, and chances are, you'll need to phone
| the number presented on your computer screen if that
| happens.

Actually, Activation Troubleshooter often helps even with the change of motherboard.
The troubleshooter is made available only when Windows 10 isn't activated. If the
Microsoft digital system "remembers" your computer name and you indicate there has
been a hardware change, activation often happens immediately. It's more apt to work
if you regularly sign into Windows using your Microsoft account rather than a local
account.

Larc
Old September 3rd 18, 01:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

wrote:

With Windows 10, you have nothing to worry about.

Can I use that as a rather sarcastic quote ?
If so, TY.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old September 3rd 18, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter Johnson[_5_]

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 10:51:53 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

[...]

You have made sure that the drives aren't full?