cannot power "on" ASUS laptop after power outage

Old October 17th 15, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

Default cannot power "on" ASUS laptop after power outage

"Caver1" wrote in message
On 10/16/2015 11:13 PM, Adam wrote:
"DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno" wrote in
message
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:33:13 -0700, "Adam" Gave us:

System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
Host OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

After a power outage yesterday, pressing the power button of
ASUS laptop does nothing. The laptop was/is connected to
an APC battery backup (surge protection only) outlet (via AC adapter).
AC adapter's green light is "on".

Any ideas?

I did a simple google search...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...er+requirement

It yielded listings for where to get replacement 90W adapters, but
scrolling down the page shows a lot of chatroom queries surrounding
problems with this particular laptop and its batteries and power supply.

It also lists the circumstances under which the failure modes are
occurring.

It would appear that the battery "watchdog" circuitry Asus
incorporated into at least this model of their laptop line has some
problems.

A slight dip in the output of the power adapter or even too much
ripple voltage presented by it when loaded may be what is going on.

The new ones seemed to only be $12 to $15. It might cause less hair
loss to simply get a new one. It is always nice to have backup power
supplies in the "dongle" or "wallwart" realm anyway, since most are
ultrasonically sealed and unserviceable.

Thanks (NumeroUno), you're right. A new AC adapter did the trick.
Nothing else seems to be wrong with my laptop.

But, the reviews for the Antec NP90 that I bought is not that great and
was not cheap ($40+). But, it has AQ3 (3-year parts & labor) warranty.
Any Universal 90W Notebook Power Adapter 19V recommendations?

Also, how can I prevent this from happening again?
The problem is with the power circuitry internal to the ASUS laptop,
right?

Take a look;

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...JQ++ac+adaptor

http://tinyurl.com/nkdjajy

--
Caver1

Thanks, I was looking at...

Targus 90 Watt AC Laptop Charger
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054JE64I/...=ISTHDUL7IAZ9E

But, I like the PWR+ more.

Old October 17th 15, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Mike Easter

Adam wrote:
Thanks, I was looking at...

Targus 90 Watt AC Laptop Charger

What is your diagnostic plan? You don't know that your charger is bad
yet. Are you planning on buying a spare charger for testing purposes,
then make more/other diagnostic efforts if that isn't the problem?

--
Mike Easter
Old October 17th 15, 07:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

"Mike Easter" wrote in message
Adam wrote:
Thanks, I was looking at...

Targus 90 Watt AC Laptop Charger

What is your diagnostic plan? You don't know that your charger is bad
yet. Are you planning on buying a spare charger for testing purposes,
then make more/other diagnostic efforts if that isn't the problem?

Did you miss my 8:13 PM response to DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno?
The problem was the power outage killed the ASUS AC adapter somehow.
The laptop works fine with a new/trial AC adapter.

--
Mike Easter

Old October 17th 15, 08:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

"DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 23:03:30 -0700, "Adam" Gave us:

"DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 20:13:29 -0700, "Adam" Gave us:

Any Universal 90W Notebook Power Adapter 19V recommendations?

The Lenovo 90 Watt unit is nice, but you would have to put the right
output plug onto it.

I'm surprise that they don't have that ac adapter plug connector better
standardized.

They are standardized, but the maker gets to choose the one they want
to use, and the plugs/jacks are not tied to a specific voltage to be
fed, though there was a push toward that end in the beginning of the
standard.

They are in metric and Lenovo uses the biggest I've seen, and likely
the right one for 19 Volts, but the other 19 V laptop makers might argue
against that statement since most of them adopted a slightly smaller
choice.

So, there is a standard for the plug sizes and center pin diameters,
but they are not tied to or standardized against a table of voltages.

There are 5 and 12 volt "typical" choices, but they too are not set in
stone.

AND 19 Volts is a non-standard (as it were) DC supply source, so there
is no plug size designated for it at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIAJ_connector

Thanks, maybe I'm missing something but
if desktops can be so nicely standardized,
I don't see why laptop PSUs can't be standardized
in a similar manner.

Old October 17th 15, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Mike Easter

Adam wrote:
"Mike Easter"
Adam wrote:

Targus 90 Watt AC Laptop Charger

What is your diagnostic plan?

Did you miss my 8:13 PM response to DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno?

Yes.

The problem was the power outage killed the ASUS AC adapter somehow.
The laptop works fine with a new/trial AC adapter.

Excellent. That is an economic fix.

--
Mike Easter
Old October 17th 15, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Adam

"Mike Easter" wrote in message
Adam wrote:
"Mike Easter"
Adam wrote:

Targus 90 Watt AC Laptop Charger

What is your diagnostic plan?

Did you miss my 8:13 PM response to DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno?

Yes.

The problem was the power outage killed the ASUS AC adapter somehow.
The laptop works fine with a new/trial AC adapter.

Excellent. That is an economic fix.

Thanks, yes, I'm super glad that the laptop is fine.
Now, I'm looking for a "quality" AC adapter with all features (L-shaped
plug/jack,
3-prong wall jack, LED indicator, long warranty, etc.) that I prefer.
I don't mind the cost so much as the features.
It's worth the investment.

--
Mike Easter

Old October 18th 15, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Cybe R. Wizard[_2_]

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:36:43 -0700
"Adam" wrote:

It's worth the investment.

Cost.

It's worth the cost or the price. An investment has some slim hope of
returning something of value later on, usually money.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
Old October 18th 15, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Computer Nerd Kev

In comp.sys.laptops DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 23:18:40 +0000 (UTC), lid
(Computer Nerd Kev) Gave us:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 09:39:10 -0700

On 2015-10-16, Adam wrote:
Where's the best chance of getting a compatible AC adapter?
Fry's? Radio Shack? Other?

ebay.

China.

Seriously, sometimes it is ridiculously cheap and quick to shop
directly (online) in China (Caveat Emptor). I got replacement batteries
for my PengPod in less than a week for less than I would have paid
locally IF they had even been available, which they were not.

Though it should be noted that you take your life into your hands with
some of the cheap power supplies that come out of that country, not to
mention the life of your equipment.

You would have a hard time finding supplies in the COTS market these
days that were not made there. So you must not be as all nerded up as
you would like folks to think.

As I read the thread, the recommendation was for the OP to buy a power
supply directly from China via an Ebay listing. Fake OEM power
supplies as well as honest knock-offs from China litter Ebay listings
for replacement power supplies and many have the issues I mentioned.

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old October 18th 15, 03:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Computer Nerd Kev

In comp.sys.laptops Adam wrote:

Thanks, maybe I'm missing something but
if desktops can be so nicely standardized,
I don't see why laptop PSUs can't be standardized
in a similar manner.

Probably because there's little commercial incentive, and as the
laptop power connector is going to be exposed to your average
"idiot user" even a voltage to plug standard wouldn't prevent
someone having trouble because they try to use their 12V 4.5A
laptop with the 12V 4A power supply from their old one. There'd
have to be a long list of probably tens of power connectors
designed for the different current ratings and voltages, or
an electronic system for identifying the right power supply
(I think some laptops might do this, but there's no industry
standard).

--
__ __