Getting a SATA HD to boot on a 8IPE1000

Old October 26th 03, 11:18 PM
Stephen Williams

Default Getting a SATA HD to boot on a 8IPE1000

It seems that on this board i have to set the SATA drive to map to the
normal IDE channel (ie Primary Master) to get it to boot from that drive. I
can't always afford to loose 2 normal IDE channels just to get it to boot
from SATA. On other 865 boards it has been simple... Set the SATA to
enhanced mode then just boot from the third or fourth IDE channel, leaving
me with all four standard IDE channels for ROMs and slower hard drives.

Built a system last week with a 80GB IDE, 120GB SATA, DVD-ROM and CDRW.
Ended up having to make the 80GB the windows drive. SATA drive was picked up
ok, but no matter what the boot order was (HDD-0, HDD-1 etc) i couldn't get
it to boot from the SATA drive unless it was mapped to the Primary Master...
which would have meant leaving the 80GB IDE drive or one of the ROMs out.

Steve

Old October 26th 03, 11:19 PM
Stephen Williams

My point is, am i missing something??

I've downloaded the latest bios, but won't get to try it until the next
person orders a P4 system from work.

Steve

Old October 27th 03, 06:10 PM
Patrick Schoeberl

[...]

Same problem here (8IPE1000-L). I wrote an email to Gigabyte-support on
Saturday, but no answer until now.
My only hope is a new BIOS revision where you can choose SATA as boot
device.
Patrick

Old October 28th 03, 05:32 AM
Udo Kammer

Same problem here (8IPE1000-L). I wrote an email to Gigabyte-support on
Saturday, but no answer until now.

You will have to wait up to 3 weeks for an answer, if you ask
Gigabyte, Taiwan. Unfortunately you can forget the German support of
Gigabyte.

My only hope is a new BIOS revision where you can choose SATA as boot
device.

There will be no BIOS, where you choose SATA as boot device. Installed
BIOS is F7. If you configure SATA with the default values (native),
shown on page 46 of the user manual, you only can boot from a SATA-HD
using Windows XP SP1. For other OS you must remap the the SATA-HDs to
PATA.

Udo Kammer
Kammer.Udo at gmx.info
Old October 29th 03, 04:08 AM
Stephen Williams

There will be no BIOS, where you choose SATA as boot device. Installed
BIOS is F7. If you configure SATA with the default values (native),
shown on page 46 of the user manual, you only can boot from a SATA-HD
using Windows XP SP1. For other OS you must remap the the SATA-HDs to
PATA.

Udo Kammer
--

Yeah but you also need to have a standard IDE drive in for windows to put
it's boot crap on. Take out the IDE drive, and the SATA drive won't boot any

Pity they can't just reconfigure their BIOS to be like others.

Steve

Old October 29th 03, 05:45 AM
Udo Kammer

Yeah but you also need to have a standard IDE drive in for windows to put
it's boot crap on. Take out the IDE drive, and the SATA drive won't boot any
more.

No. I have connected my Maxtor 6E030L0 with an IDE to SATA-adapter on
SATA Port0, which is configured by default as SATA port0.

I am using the GA-8IPE 1000 Pro (F7 beta) and the GA-8IPE1000L (F7).

In August 03 I had problems with the GA-8IPE1000 Pro (F6). Therefore I
asked the support of Gigabyte, what to do.

The final answer (26.08.2003) of Gigabyte was:

Thank you again for your kindly mail and inquiry. Attached is the beta
version BIOS for the motherboard, it will make the board boot from
SATA port 0/1. Thus, after BIOS update, you can use 4 PATA devices
with 2 SATA devices at the same time.

About BIOS update, You should be able to update it with the attached
flash utility and try again later. After bios updating, please do not
forget to load BIOS fail-safe default setting.

Please note that this beta BIOS is still under testing and not
approved by our standard test procedure. Thus, in some system might
cause other system unknown problem and we will not gurantee there will
not be any side-effect after BIOS updating with this beta version
BIOS.

In both cases I had no problems to install Windows XP Home with
integrated SP 1 on the harddisk connected to SATA Port0.

Udo Kammer

Kammer.Udo at gmx.info

Well the boards i was using had probably taken months to get to New Zealand
and then in to stock here, BIOS would have been well out of date by the time
i got my hands on it. I'll try the latest BIOS on the next board i use.

Steve

Old October 31st 03, 03:33 AM
Patrick Schoeberl

"Udo Kammer" wrote in message
Yeah but you also need to have a standard IDE drive in for windows to put
it's boot crap on. Take out the IDE drive, and the SATA drive won't boot

any
more.

No. I have connected my Maxtor 6E030L0 with an IDE to SATA-adapter on
SATA Port0, which is configured by default as SATA port0.

-snip-

I tried to install WinXP Pro with integrated SP1. XP finds the SATA drive at
install without any additional drivers of course, but after the first reboot
no OS is found as long as I´m running the drive in SATA native mode (SATA
port 0).

By the way, the boot screen tells me the SATA drive is the third primary
master, so what boot order do I have to choose? HDD-2? Of course I tried all
of them: SCSI, HDD-0, HDD-1, HDD-2 and I think HDD-3, none of them worked.

thanks in advance
Patrick

Old October 31st 03, 07:17 PM
Udo Kammer

No. I have connected my Maxtor 6E030L0 with an IDE to SATA-adapter on
SATA Port0, which is configured by default as SATA port0.

I tried to install WinXP Pro with integrated SP1. XP finds the SATA drive at
install without any additional drivers of course, but after the first reboot
no OS is found as long as I´m running the drive in SATA native mode (SATA
port 0).

I have connected the Maxtor 6E030L0 to SATA Port0 and a Maxtor 6Y080L0
tot SATA Port1. Both with IDE to SATA adapters.

On the UltraATA-Controller I have connected to primary master my
DVD-Writer and to primary slave my DVD-ROM. It seemed that I cannot
connect harddisks to the primary connector, if I will use the 2 SATA
ports.

Udo Kammer
Kammer.Udo at gmx.info