Disaster has struck.... no BIOS now!

Old October 7th 03, 11:42 PM
Richard Kenward

Default Disaster has struck.... no BIOS now!

Hello all (apologies if this has already made it here but I have had
great problems posting this evening.)

I have never suffered this. On my very stable GA-6BXD dual P111 450 box
running 2000, 768 ram and almost no software loaded except Photoshop 7
the following happened.

Was running PS and made an alteration to one of the parameters in one of
the pallets and the computer just crashed......no warning...bang!
Started up and tried again and this time all OK. Then a few minutes
later I ran a sharpening filter and it locked solid. Only way out was
to turn off. On restart it gets just as far as showing the first
screen with the CPU's but does not move on to checking the memory.
That's it nothing happening whatsoever! Trying further re-starts
achieves nothing further.

Please can anyone suggest why this has happened and a solution ?

Very many thanks

Richard
--
Richard Kenward
Old October 8th 03, 03:02 AM
CamaroGod

Hi Richard,

Try unplugging the machine and resetting the CMOS by either disconnecting
the battery or using the jumper if you know which one it is. This will clear
everything and take you to the base configuration.

Then just plug it back in and it will more than likely boot. You will need
to reset the clock and such but nothing will be damaged by doing this.

Old October 8th 03, 11:31 AM
Richard Kenward

In message Tue, 7 Oct 2003, CamaroGod writes
Hi Richard,

Try unplugging the machine and resetting the CMOS by either disconnecting
the battery or using the jumper if you know which one it is. This will clear
everything and take you to the base configuration.

Then just plug it back in and it will more than likely boot. You will need
to reset the clock and such but nothing will be damaged by doing this.

Dear M

Thanks for y our suggestions. I have taken out the battery, replaced it
and unfortunatly not difference! As to jumpers that's got me
beaten!

Any other ideas? It seems very strange that this has happened. BTW I
do have a spare identical MB that I could swap if necessary.

Cheers

Richard

Old October 8th 03, 07:05 PM
Richard Kenward

In message Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Richard Kenward writes

Sorry to top post but need to catch the attention of anyone why can
offer assistance PLEASE! Unplugging and re-inserting the battery has
not changed anything!

Cheers

Richard

Old October 8th 03, 09:18 PM
Bret

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:05:16 +0100, Richard Kenward
wrote:

In message Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Richard Kenward writes

Sorry to top post but need to catch the attention of anyone why can
offer assistance PLEASE! Unplugging and re-inserting the battery has
not changed anything!

Did you remove the power cord and the bios battery and wait a few
minutes?

Old October 9th 03, 10:36 AM
Richard Kenward

In message Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Bret writes
wrote:

In message Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Richard Kenward writes

Sorry to top post but need to catch the attention of anyone why can
offer assistance PLEASE! Unplugging and re-inserting the battery has
not changed anything!

Did you remove the power cord and the bios battery and wait a few
minutes?

Yes but only a couple of minutes..how long should I leave it?

Cheers

Richard
--
Richard Kenward
Old October 9th 03, 10:52 AM
Richard Kenward

In message Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Richard Kenward writes
wrote:

In message Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Richard Kenward writes

Sorry to top post but need to catch the attention of anyone why can
offer assistance PLEASE! Unplugging and re-inserting the battery has
not changed anything!

Did you remove the power cord and the bios battery and wait a few
minutes?

Yes but only a couple of minutes..how long should I leave it?

Cheers

Richard

Taken the battery out for 10mins still same problem. All the right
start up sounds but all it gets to showing is the two CPU's then zilch!

Cheers

Richard
--
Richard Kenward
Old October 9th 03, 11:06 AM
Bret

wrote:

In message Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Richard Kenward writes

Sorry to top post but need to catch the attention of anyone why can
offer assistance PLEASE! Unplugging and re-inserting the battery has
not changed anything!

Did you remove the power cord and the bios battery and wait a few
minutes?

Yes but only a couple of minutes..how long should I leave it?

Cheers

Richard

That's long enough Richard. Maybe time to swap out the mobo.
Old October 9th 03, 11:23 AM
Richard Kenward

wrote:

In message Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Richard Kenward writes

Sorry to top post but need to catch the attention of anyone why can
offer assistance PLEASE! Unplugging and re-inserting the battery has
not changed anything!

Did you remove the power cord and the bios battery and wait a few
minutes?

Yes but only a couple of minutes..how long should I leave it?

Cheers

Richard

That's long enough Richard. Maybe time to swap out the mobo.

FIXED IT !!!!!!

When I took out NO 2 CPU and put in the blanking off plate it started up
fine! Putting the suspect CPU in place of CPU 1 and it failed to start!
This CPU had given signs of unreliability some three years ago but has
been fine since. Well just as well I bought a spare back then.

Many thanks for the help here...great to be able to ask for help.

Cheers

Richard
--
Richard Kenward