Fooling motherboard into booting without CPU fan

Old October 6th 03, 12:06 AM
Michael Strorm

Default Fooling motherboard into booting without CPU fan

Hi,
Is it possible to fool a motherboard into booting even without the
fan attached (assuming it checks the rotational speed before
proceeding)?
I thought shorting the 'SENSOR' and 'GROUND' pins would work at
first, but if it's being used to detect the fan speed, then maybe not?
The CPU_FAN connector on the Gigabyte motherboard has 3 pins
(SENSOR, 12V and GROUND), if that's relevant(?).
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

- Michael Strorm
Old October 6th 03, 12:48 AM
Will Dormann

Michael Strorm wrote:
Hi,
Is it possible to fool a motherboard into booting even without the
fan attached (assuming it checks the rotational speed before
proceeding)?
I thought shorting the 'SENSOR' and 'GROUND' pins would work at
first, but if it's being used to detect the fan speed, then maybe not?
The CPU_FAN connector on the Gigabyte motherboard has 3 pins
(SENSOR, 12V and GROUND), if that's relevant(?).
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

You should be able to go into the BIOS and disable the CPU fan check. I
do this, as my CPU fan is 2-wire.

-WD

Old October 6th 03, 01:03 AM
jpsga

use a 1.5v battery between the 3rd pin and ground. My 4000RPM fans run
around 1.7 volts.on the tach side.

om...

Old October 6th 03, 03:19 AM
kony

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 00:03:36 GMT, "jpsga" wrote:

use a 1.5v battery between the 3rd pin and ground. My 4000RPM fans run
around 1.7 volts.on the tach side.

That sounds like a bad idea, it is not a voltage level being detected
from the fan, it's the pulse rate.

Neither should the sense pin be grounded. The poster who mentioned a
bios setting to disable the fan error-stop was correct.

Dave
Old October 6th 03, 11:41 AM
Michael Strorm

kony wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 00:03:36 GMT, "jpsga" wrote:

use a 1.5v battery between the 3rd pin and ground. My 4000RPM fans run
around 1.7 volts.on the tach side.

That sounds like a bad idea, it is not a voltage level being detected
from the fan, it's the pulse rate.

Yeah, that's what I suspected... :-(

Neither should the sense pin be grounded. The poster who mentioned a
bios setting to disable the fan error-stop was correct.

Good idea, but the power to the machine cuts out after a fraction of a
second, so it's not an option.

Given that (supposedly) an Athlon without the heatsink can fry in
under a second(!!), this is not surprising, but it does mean I can't
do anything with the BIOS.

- Michael S
Old October 6th 03, 02:52 PM
Barry Walsh

Michael Strorm wrote:

Hi,
Is it possible to fool a motherboard into booting even without the
fan attached (assuming it checks the rotational speed before
proceeding)?
I thought shorting the 'SENSOR' and 'GROUND' pins would work at
first, but if it's being used to detect the fan speed, then maybe not?
The CPU_FAN connector on the Gigabyte motherboard has 3 pins
(SENSOR, 12V and GROUND), if that's relevant(?).
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

- Michael Strorm

You can turn the protection off in the BIOS, where it's labelled
Guardian Function. You'll just need something connected enough to get it
to the BIOS.

Old October 6th 03, 10:27 PM
Barry Walsh

Barry Walsh wrote:

Michael Strorm wrote:

Hi,
Is it possible to fool a motherboard into booting even without the
fan attached (assuming it checks the rotational speed before
proceeding)?
I thought shorting the 'SENSOR' and 'GROUND' pins would work at
first, but if it's being used to detect the fan speed, then maybe not?
The CPU_FAN connector on the Gigabyte motherboard has 3 pins
(SENSOR, 12V and GROUND), if that's relevant(?).
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

- Michael Strorm

You can turn the protection off in the BIOS, where it's labelled
Guardian Function. You'll just need something connected enough to get it
to the BIOS.

It just occured to me that this may also exist as a jumper rather than a
BIOS option.

Old October 7th 03, 12:25 AM
GTD

- Michael Strorm

You can turn the protection off in the BIOS, where it's labelled
Guardian Function. You'll just need something connected enough to get it
to the BIOS.

Some motherboards default to this protection being OFF. Mine does, and
I know this works because it is a watercooled system with no fans
connected to the motherboard headers, and I have discharged the cmos
afted updating the bios, and never had to use a fan or anything to get
into the bios. I'd try discharging the cmos, or boot with default
settings and see if it works.