Please recommend backup software for xp x64 that is quick.

Old August 28th 08, 05:35 PM posted to alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Twayne

Default Please recommend backup software for xp x64 that is quick.

Gary S. Terhune wrote...

Yes, Google is your friend, but only if you are asking the right
question, and you have the question wrong. The question was: "Please
recommend backup software for xp x64 that is quick."

The OP's context of "quick" was that copy was slowed down by
failure due to "file in use."

If you use this context of "quick," it will be quicker.

Ghost 14 is the quickest I've seen. True Image was good too but not as
fast; I tried them both & opted for Ghost since they had their update
campaign still going ($50).

Anything used to back up the system that cannot use the shadow copy
services does not produce a system backup.

Old August 29th 08, 01:26 AM posted to alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Memnoch

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:19:15 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" none wrote:

There's no such thing as a FAST backup utility, but Acronis is certainly
faster than Windows Backup. And more secure, easier to restore whole
partitions or just versions of files, etc. And, as you'll note here, the
Home version supports 64-bit.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...uirements.html

Try the 15-day trial (though it certainly isn't long enough to decently work
out a backup system, it will give you an idea of what speeds you might
attain), and if you decide to buy, get it here. Cheaper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...onis&x=15&y=26

TinyURL for above link = http://tinyurl.com/5cad33

Another one I'd consider is:
Image for Windows
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm
However, note this line at the bottom of the product description:
"Compatible with Win64 (x64) (AMD64/EM64T) but not with IA64, GPTs, nor
Dynamic Drives."

And while I hate Symantec to an unhealthy degree, many users swear by Ghost.

I'll second Acronis. I use True Image Echo Workstation, both in live mode
while the OS is loaded and from a memory stick. First class solution and so
much better than Ghost, which I use at work.
Old August 29th 08, 05:31 PM posted to alt.backup-software,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Sideshow Bob[_3_]

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"wrreisen2" wrote in message
Please recommend backup software for xp x64 that is quick. I have been
using the built in Windows backup software but it is so slow in
comparison to just copying and pasting folders onto a backup disk. The
problem with just copying and pasting is that this process is often
interupted because the occasional file in these folders can be in use
and stops the copying process. Is there software that is as fast as
just copying and pasting folders in explorer but isn't likely to be
interupted?

Thanks for any advice?

I can second the recommendation of Acronis having just used Home v10.0.4940
to backup my Vista Ultimate x64 setup. As for speed, Acronis is no faster or
slower than any other backup utility I've used in the past (Ghost, Drive
Image, etc.).