Dual channel memory -- how?

Old September 10th 03, 08:38 PM
sw2linux

Default Dual channel memory -- how?

I am looking at building this box;
MB == Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
CPU == AMD XP 3000+
Case == Antec or equiv. w/ 500W PS
HD == (2) 80GB Seagate SATA/150
CDRW == Yamaha CRW-F1
Video == PNY Quadro 750XGL
OS == Windows XP

But now I am stumped on the RAM. I was going to buy two of these Corsair
TWINX1024-3200LL 1GB , but that would fill up all four slots. The manual for
the board says to use dual channel technology with four memory modules they
must be installed like this;
DIMM 1 == DS/SS
DIMM 2 == DS/SS
DIMM 3 == SS
DIMM 4 == SS

How do you know whether they are single sided or double sided when
purchasing RAM off the web? Is there such a thing as 512MB SS RAM?

And another thing... Do you have to have an equal number of memory modules
to use dual channel? For instance, can I use 3 X 512mb for a total of 1.5GB
and still be in dual channel?

Ideally I would like 1.5-2.0GB of PC3200.

Thanks for the help

Old September 10th 03, 08:58 PM
Martin Eriksson

"sw2linux" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hmm.. I think you can have DS in 3 if you don't have 4 populated, so
wouldn't this work:
either
DIMM 1 : 1GB
DIMM 3 : 1GB

or

DIMM 1 : 512MB
DIMM 2 : 512MB
DIMM 3 : 1GB

As dual channel don't give much of a performance increase (for AMD
platforms), you could even run 512+512+512 even if some (or all?) of the
memory will still be accessed in "single channel" mode.

Also, upgrade your HD's to 2x160 or 2x120 instead. The bigger they are, the
faster they are. Otherwise your system looks kickass. I assume you'll be
doing any of CAD, 3D rendering and/or video editing.

/M

Old September 10th 03, 10:14 PM
sw2linux

Thanks for the reply...

You are correct, this system will be used for CAD (SolidWorks). It will not
be overclocked.

So, you are saying the increase in speed with dual channel technology will
be minimal compared to the extra ram gained? I am better off going with (2)
1GB modules or (3) 512MB Modules rather than just (2) 512MB modules in dual
channel?

Does anyone know who makes PC3200 in 1GB sticks?

One last question... The "matched memory" is primarily good for overclocking
only?

"Martin Eriksson" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 11th 03, 01:55 AM
Bob Davis

"sw2linux" wrote in message
.. .

So, you are saying the increase in speed with dual channel technology will
be minimal compared to the extra ram gained? I am better off going with

(2)
1GB modules or (3) 512MB Modules rather than just (2) 512MB modules in

dual
channel?

I've read that the speed improvement for dual-channel mode is in the range
of 25-30%. You can only run in dual channel mode when you have two
identical sticks of RAM placed in the appropriate slots. I.e., on a typical
four-slot board, you would normally use Slot 1 and 3 for the first modules,
then 2 and 4 for the second pair, but check your manual. You cannot run DC
with three sticks. The requirement for DS/SS is probably because the board
supports of only six sides total. My 8KNXP, for example, with six slots
supports a total of eight sides. Since most (all?) DDR400 modules are
two-sided, I cannot install more than 2gb without buying the much more
expensive 1gb modules.

BTW, if you want to buy 1gb modules, you should check the prices first, as
they are much more expensive per byte than 512mb sticks.

Does anyone know who makes PC3200 in 1GB sticks?

One last question... The "matched memory" is primarily good for

overclocking
only?

"Martin Eriksson" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 11th 03, 04:39 PM
Martin Eriksson

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

"sw2linux" wrote in message
.. .

So, you are saying the increase in speed with dual channel technology

will
be minimal compared to the extra ram gained? I am better off going with

(2)
1GB modules or (3) 512MB Modules rather than just (2) 512MB modules in

dual
channel?

I've read that the speed improvement for dual-channel mode is in the range
of 25-30%.

Not at all. It only gives an around 10-15% gain in very few circumstances,
but often it's more like 2-3% !!!

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=244

Look at the content creation benchmark for example... a measly few % gain.

Using he single-channel GA-7N400E-L myself, and it's a nice board except for
the onboard sound.

/M

Old September 12th 03, 04:50 AM
Bob Davis

"Martin Eriksson" wrote in message

Not at all. It only gives an around 10-15% gain in very few circumstances,
but often it's more like 2-3% !!!

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=244

Look at the content creation benchmark for example... a measly few % gain.

Check out http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1839. Unless I'm
misinterpreting the results, running one (non-dual-channel) versus two
(dual-channel) DDR400 modules results in a 20-50% increase in Memtest86 and
Sandra 2003 (buffered and unbuffered).

Old September 12th 03, 10:19 AM
SirOB

sw2linux wrote:

Is there such a thing as 512MB SS RAM?

Yes, there is.
For my 8INXP I bought my memory at
http://www.crucial.com
2 PC's of 512MB PC2700.
They are SS non-buffered, non-ECC.
Crucial delivers fast at a very reasonable price.
The memory works fine in both Gigabyte 8INXP as well as ASUS P4C800.
I would always go for the 4 DIMM's, e.g. 2GB.
As far is I know I bought 2 of the CT6464Z335.
Same model would work in your MoBo, you prefer the PC3200 though.
To my knowledge your 'filled' bank would be dual-ported.
The same applies to ECC.

OB