Lost 1500 gigs - Thanks Seagate!

Old May 17th 09, 06:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Lost 1500 gigs - Thanks Seagate!

My 1.5 TB harddrive just blew after about 4 months... a few days after
filling it too.... Thanks Seagate! [Seagate Barracuda (ST31500341AS)
7200.11 SATA 3.0Gb/s 1.5TB] ... It's my own damn fault for going for
the best gig/$ deal I guess... and backing up that much stuff was not
an option financially... I always expected it to fail but I had hoped
it would last a year or two at least, by then I could update to raid 1
or buy a 3tb drive or something...

Anyways.... this piece of crap is still under warranty, and they will
send me another piece of crap to replace it... but I really don't want
to go through this again, I will never trust this brand now that I've
been assraped... I'm thinking the only way I can use the new piece of
crap their going to send me is if it is in a RAID configuration of
some sort.... RAID 5 looks nice but I'm sooooo not ready to fork out
another $300ish for two more 1.5 TB drives

What are my options - with redundancy and scalability in mind? Can I
just start out with some kind of 2 disk mirroring configuration and
then later add the third disk (converting to raid 5 here) and the
fourth and fifth in the furture? I guess I'm asking if you can convert
go from a two disk x 1.5 TB raid 1 setup to a three disk x 1.5 TB raid
5 setup without reformatting...

....my brain hurts, thanks Seagate

Suggestions welcomed

Old May 17th 09, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

All this is no excuse for not using backup.
Putting a second HD in an external enclosure,
and keeping a copy on that, is the way to go.
Unless you dont value your data.
Old May 17th 09, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article cd6612d4-8e0c-4999-9953-1a0bf9c80b42
@r34g2000vbi.googlegroups.com, says...

...my brain hurts, thanks Seagate

Suggestions welcomed

Yeah...back up next time.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old May 17th 09, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On May 17, 2:22*pm, Conor wrote:
In article cd6612d4-8e0c-4999-9953-1a0bf9c80b42
@r34g2000vbi.googlegroups.com, says...

...my brain hurts, thanks Seagate

Suggestions welcomed

Yeah...back up next time.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

"backing up that much stuff was not an option financially."

Read before you state the obvious please. Sometimes you have so much
data it's just not possible to back it all up. Back to the point of
the thread - any suggestions?

Old May 17th 09, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Painter

wrote:
[...]

This is a Ford/Chevy debate.
If Seagate or any other drive manufacturer only put out bad product with
long warranties they would have been gone years ago.

In the early 80's there was a brand, Kalok, that did put out crap. They
disappeared from the market in short order.

A friend had one and he always claimed it only went half bad. However he
could not think of a good use for a read only hard drive.

Old May 17th 09, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ken[_7_]

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=207931

Old May 17th 09, 08:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

wrote:
Conor wrote:
says...

Suggestions welcomed

Yeah...back up next time.

"backing up that much stuff was not an option financially."

Then that stuff is worth little.

Let me guess... Downloaded video, movies, and music?

Read before you state the obvious please. Sometimes you have so much
data it's just not possible to back it all up. Back to the point of
the thread - any suggestions?

If your stuff is valuable, back it up.

Is this your first post to USENET? Hang around here and read
similar sad stories from other users, it will impress you enough to
learn the basics about computing.

Your complaint about the drive failing is valid, but you should
always have backup copies of important data.

--
Interested in making Windows and games obey your verbal commands?
Continuous command recognition (much easier than speech recognition)

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Lost 1500 gigs - Thanks Seagate!
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 11:34:45 -0700 (PDT)

Old May 17th 09, 08:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

wrote in message
[...]

Don't make such a big deal about it. It sucks - it hurts - it's modern
manufacturing. 2 to 5% defective rate is considered "acceptable" in
manufacturing terms. 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 people will get a bad hard drive -
Seagate, Western Digital, whatever. Get your replacement, plug it in, and
use it. Can lightning strike twice? Doubtful.
I always run a new drive for a while before loading it up just in case I am
the 1 in 50 this time.