What kind of browser for Windows 98?

Old May 13th 09, 04:21 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
P@trick.

Default What kind of browser for Windows 98?

I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
my system. Is there an older version that would run using
Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
do some good?

Thanks for any help!
Old May 13th 09, 07:32 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , P@trick.
says...

I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
my system. Is there an older version that would run using
Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
do some good?

Try Opera.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old May 13th 09, 07:32 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

P@trick. wrote:
I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
my system. Is there an older version that would run using
Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
do some good?

Thanks for any help!

How about the Opera browser ?

http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/386/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_browser

Paul
Old May 13th 09, 07:38 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JD

P@trick. wrote:
I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
my system. Is there an older version that would run using
Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
do some good?

Thanks for any help!

Hi there you Can probably find a browser that works for you here
www.oldversion.com

However I would highly recommend updating your Computer to a more modern
PC with a new OS (XP, Vista, etc) or at the very least give Linux a try
(www.ubuntu.com will probably suite your needs just fine) Windows 98 was
and still is a terrible OS it will be badly insecure on the net not to
mention slow and temperamental.

JD
Old May 13th 09, 07:45 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

P@trick. wrote:
I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it.

I tried
the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
my system.

You can run FF3 with KernelEx.

Is there an older version that would run using
Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
an improvement?

You can run FF2 without any supplement. You can run K-Meleon which is
based on the same Gecko engine as FF.

You can run Opera.

I didn't see an option to download older
versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
do some good?

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html Download Firefox
2.0.0.20

http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx/ KernelEx is an Open Source
compatibility layer with an aim to allow running Windows 2000/XP-only
applications on Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Millennium
operating systems.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ K-Meleon is an extremely fast,
customizable, lightweight web browser based on the Gecko layout engine
developed by Mozilla which is also used by Firefox.

http://www.opera.com/browser/

--
Mike Easter

Old May 13th 09, 07:54 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

P@trick. wrote:
I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it.

What exactly is the hardware, cpu & ram?

--
Mike Easter
Old May 13th 09, 08:13 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

P@trick. wrote in message
I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
my system. Is there an older version that would run using
Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
do some good?

Thanks for any help!

If the CIA was forcing you to use 98, the Obama Administration would have
them investigated for torturing you.

Old May 13th 09, 09:31 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
James D. Andrews

"JD" wrote in message
P@trick. wrote:
[...]

With each new generation of Windows OSs, users increasingly trash older OSs.
This will always be the case. When Win95 came along, Win 3... sucked. When
98 came along, 95 sucked. The only exception to this rule was Vista. When
Vista came along, Vista sucked.

Many of us did just fine using older generation OSs and older computers. I
only upgraded to a P3 two years ago, and I ran Win ME. I LOVED ME (---
that looks funny). However, upgrades are being forced upon us regardless of
our desires. When MS dropped support for 98 (and subsequently, ME), so did
my ISP, and suddenly I no longer had Internet. I was forced to upgrade to
XP.

I've more or less gotten the hang of XP now. There are still things here
or there I don't like, but I've gotten used to it. Perhaps more secure than
previous generations (supposedly), but much more tempermental.

Although I don't agree with the above trash talk and I don't share the
sentiment that older is garbage, I do agree it's time to upgrade, like it or
not. You'll find fewer and fewer capabilities with your older system.

Though much better systems are available, if money is an issue, there are
the Wally World specials. It's better to spring for $300 for a low-end
P4-equiv. with Windows and some software loaded, than pump out $90 for the
Windows upgrade and still not have a fast enough processor and sufficient
RAM to play games.

Some alternate browser versions are suggested, but in the long run, these
will be quick fixes.

Good luck!

Woof

Old May 14th 09, 12:16 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JD

James D. Andrews wrote:

With each new generation of Windows OSs, users increasingly trash older OSs.
This will always be the case. When Win95 came along, Win 3... sucked. When
98 came along, 95 sucked. The only exception to this rule was Vista. When
Vista came along, Vista sucked.

I was not saying Win9x is trash Because its older, I was pointing out
that windows 9x Is no longer supported, has many bugs and no real
security, if you are using this on the internet esp for internet banking
or purchasing this is a very bad idea

Many of us did just fine using older generation OSs and older computers. I
only upgraded to a P3 two years ago, and I ran Win ME. I LOVED ME (---
that looks funny). However, upgrades are being forced upon us regardless of
our desires. When MS dropped support for 98 (and subsequently, ME), so did
my ISP, and suddenly I no longer had Internet. I was forced to upgrade to
XP.

I think supporting a product for over 10 years is more than enough,
However I do agree with you on forced upgrades, but then again I did
also suggest a free alternative that was not only more secure but would
run on older hardware, you didn't seriously like Windows ME did you?
that barley even worked it was even slower and more buggy than windows
9x, Why people never used windows 2000 then amazes me, that was a pretty
decent OS.

I've more or less gotten the hang of XP now. There are still things here
or there I don't like, but I've gotten used to it. Perhaps more secure than
previous generations (supposedly), but much more tempermental.

Windows XP claimed to be the most secure version of windows ever at the
time, however I was the least secure version it was so bad they had to
make Service pack 2 which is nearly a whole different OS than the one
they released.

Although I don't agree with the above trash talk and I don't share the
sentiment that older is garbage, I do agree it's time to upgrade, like it or
not. You'll find fewer and fewer capabilities with your older system.

Seriously how can anyone say Windows 9x was a good OS, I said it then I
say it now, it has nothing to do with the fact that it is "older" (I was
using WORKBENCH on an amiga before I went to PC's and that was better
than windows 9x lol)
If you use your PC for any length of time get a newer machine (and newer
OS), It's a better and more productive experience for yourself.

JD
Old May 14th 09, 08:04 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On May 13, 11:21*am, P@trick. wrote:
I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
my system. Is there an older version that would run using
Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
do some good?

Thanks for any help!

I am using Firefox 2.0, Netscape 9.0 and Opera 9.23 on Windows 98SE.
They work fine on The Weather Channel.

Netscape 9.0 requires a separate down load of two files, MSVCP71.DLL
and msvcr71.dll. Do not ask me why the filenames use differing cases.

Good luck.

Herbert

Microsoft advises Windows users to restrict use of Apple’s Safari web browser journey Dell Computers 1 June 2nd 08 01:29 AM
The importance of the right kind of business uniform in dictating theimpression of your corporate business over the customer's minds is undeniable.With the right kind of business uniforms, your battle is half won. After all,everyone likes to see well [email protected] AMD x86-64 Processors 0 April 21st 08 10:56 AM
I.E Browser Joan Hansen Dell Computers 7 November 2nd 05 02:51 PM
OT Web Browser War Bill Dell Computers 36 July 9th 04 11:42 AM
How can I tell what kind of motherboard I have and install it into Windows? The Cybrow Asus Motherboards 0 June 29th 03 03:50 AM