What about LCD monitors?

Old April 18th 09, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default What about LCD monitors?

Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
lighter and more energy efficient?

I have a 19 inch ViewSonic PF790 (middle to high end) old monitor that
still looks great. It is big and heavy, but that is not an issue. What
LCD monitor would match the picture and size of that monitor?

How much better is 24 over 22 inch? What are the usable screen
dimensions, width times height?

Thanks.

--
I have asked similar before, but LCD monitors are constantly improving
AFAIK.
Old April 18th 09, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

"John Doe" wrote in message

Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
lighter and more energy efficient?

I have a 19 inch ViewSonic PF790 (middle to high end) old monitor that
still looks great. It is big and heavy, but that is not an issue. What
LCD monitor would match the picture and size of that monitor?

How much better is 24 over 22 inch? What are the usable screen
dimensions, width times height?

Thanks.

I love my LCD's. The picture is sharp and clear, response is v-fast, and
absolutely no distortion on the outer edges.
Any 19" LCD standard monitor will meet or exceed the screen size of a
standard 19" CRT. I have a 20" Dell LCD monitor (by Samsung) that is 16"
wide by 12" tall viewable. I have a 19" Dell LCD that is 15" wide x 12"
tall. Most of the larger monitors I've looked at are "letterbox" shaped or
"widescreen". Most of these are also right around 12" tall. I opted not for
the widescreen because my most common tasks involve documents,
spreadsheets, and webpages, so more height is preferred than width. But
people who play games and watch TV & movies love the 16:9 aspect ratio. Nice
thing is that you can physically rotate an LCD to be tall and thin. But I'm
too lazy to do the manual switching required. So I go with square(ish).

Old April 18th 09, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , John Doe
says...

Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
lighter and more energy efficient?

I have a 19 inch ViewSonic PF790 (middle to high end) old monitor that
still looks great. It is big and heavy, but that is not an issue. What
LCD monitor would match the picture and size of that monitor?

17" although probably not as high resolution.

How much better is 24 over 22 inch? What are the usable screen
dimensions, width times height?

On a LCD, the size quoted is the usable screen size.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old April 18th 09, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 21:19:24 GMT, John Doe wrote:

| Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
| lighter and more energy efficient?
|
| I have a 19 inch ViewSonic PF790 (middle to high end) old monitor that
| still looks great. It is big and heavy, but that is not an issue. What
| LCD monitor would match the picture and size of that monitor?
|
| How much better is 24 over 22 inch? What are the usable screen
| dimensions, width times height?
|
| Thanks.

I got rid of a 21" ViewSonic for a 19" 4:3 NEC LCD. The pic is much better on
the NEC and is only very slightly smaller than the visible pic area on the
ViewSonic. I've since moved the NEC to my second system and bought a 24" 16:10
Samsung as my main monitor. I love it!

If you're thinking of moving to a widescreen (16:10 or 16:9*) LCD monitor, a 22"
would have a viewable screen height similar to the viewable height on your 19"
ViewSonic (multiplying screen size of a 4:3 by 1.22 will give you the
approximate widescreen size that has a similar height).

The viewable dimensions on my Samsung are about 20 3/8" wide by 12 3/4" high.

*HDTV screens are 16:9, but larger widescreen monitors are often 16:10. For
instance, my Samsung 24" native resolution is 1920x1200 pixels. Similar size
16:9 monitors are 1920x1080.

Larc
Old April 19th 09, 05:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JR Weiss[_3_]

"John Doe" wrote in message

Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
lighter and more energy efficient?

I have a 19 inch ViewSonic PF790 (middle to high end) old monitor that
still looks great. It is big and heavy, but that is not an issue. What
LCD monitor would match the picture and size of that monitor?

How much better is 24 over 22 inch? What are the usable screen
dimensions, width times height?

There are MANY levels of LCD monitors, just as there were many levels of CRT
monitors...

The higher-end Samsungs have been excellent performers and reasonable
values, though their lower-end line has had less than stellar performance.
I have 2 higher-end Samsungs, of 2 distinctly different generations (3 years
different), and they are both VERY nice, even compared to my old Trinitrons.

Read individual specs for individual screen dimensions. If you value screen
height, the "wide screen" sizes may not impress you as much as the diagonal
measurement may suggest.

Old April 19th 09, 06:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tom E

"John Doe" wrote in message

Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
lighter and more energy efficient?

I have a 19 inch ViewSonic PF790 (middle to high end) old monitor that
still looks great. It is big and heavy, but that is not an issue. What
LCD monitor would match the picture and size of that monitor?

How much better is 24 over 22 inch? What are the usable screen
dimensions, width times height?

Thanks.

--
I have asked similar before, but LCD monitors are constantly improving
AFAIK.

I do like the Samsung Syncmaster series. I have had the occasion to use
their 3 year warranty, not because of a faulty LCD but the stand would not
tilt after a couple of years. The unit was replaced within a day and that
unit then had a faulty LCD and that was replaced in a day. The replacement
has been excellent and so was their CS.

Old April 19th 09, 12:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_5_]

wrote:

Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
lighter and more energy efficient?

I have a 19 inch ViewSonic PF790 (middle to high end) old monitor that
still looks great. It is big and heavy, but that is not an issue. What
LCD monitor would match the picture and size of that monitor?

How much better is 24 over 22 inch? What are the usable screen
dimensions, width times height?

Thanks.

LCD Monitors come in three basic flavors: TN - lower end inexpensive
monitors with fast response times and typically narrow viewing angles,
although some have better viewing angles than others. PA - mid range
monitors with better color display and viewing angles. The trade off
is slower response times, althought some are close to the TN panels.
IPS - high end monitors with the best viewing angle and fair response
times and are the best for high end graphics work. The trade off is
that they are much more expensive than the other types.

I currently have two NEC 24" TN monitors for CADD work and the screen
real estate is phenominal. There is however a noticable fade in the
vibrance at the outer limits of the viewing angle. A co-worker has a
NEC 21" PA monitor that is sharp as a tack and is what I would have
chosen had they been available to me. We currently run the gamut from
cheap Dell 17" (I wouldn't touch these) to 22" NEC and Dell monitors
(fair).

I strongly suggest that you research a little to find the type of
monitor that will suit your needs. If you are into gaming, a sharp
monitor with slow response times probably won't suit your needs.
Finally, with that knowledge in hand, take a look for yourself.

HTH
Bill
Old April 19th 09, 04:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ken[_7_]

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 07:14:28 -0400, Bill
wrote:

[...]

Where is the VA panels in this three groups ?

Old April 19th 09, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_10_]

In article , "TVeblen" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

My 24" Acer monitor can side by side display 2 full sized 8x11 documents
perfectly.
Old April 19th 09, 05:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
The Seabat[_2_]

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 17:55:46 -0400, "TVeblen"
wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
.. .

Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
lighter and more energy efficient?

Not to hijack this thread, but, what is the consensus on leaving an
LCD on after shutting down the 'puter. Should you turn the monitor off
or just let it sit there in sleep mode? Which is best for the monitor?

--
The seabat
Filtering GoogleGroups & Goobers with extreme prejudice!