Forceware v177.83 + GeForce 8+ = PhysX

Old August 14th 08, 06:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Default Forceware v177.83 + GeForce 8+ = PhysX

http://www.nvidia.com/content/forcew...s/download.asp

I've tried Nurien, Warmonger, F@H with success. The Fluid demo merely
fails as soon as I click it, oh well. There are a few more substantial
tech demos available. It's a very complete package and I'm still
enjoying the novelty.

I also have GRAW2 v1.05 (the patch version required) so I'll give that a
shot as well, oddly that link doesn't offer GRAW2 v1.05 as a download
when all documentation says it does, perhaps since I had installed it
already?

How does it run? Folding at Home ran blisteringly fast (OPT185@3G) but
my 8800GTS G92 made a high pitched squeal it never did before so I put a
stop to that experiment quickly, I'd rather get protein-foldiosis than
troubleshoot that.

Warmonger ran great single player, I'm not going to install Gamespy and
net 1.1 for multiplayer. Lots of crap floating in the air, fireflies and
soot. Lots of stiff, unrealistic flags flittering around which you can
shoot through but not light on fire. You can destroy some walls too with
effort, a nice touch.

Nurien was cute, but the textures were so ratty and the resolution so
low and the antialiasing so ugly I couldn't see what the appeal is? What
am I looking at again? Maybe if I could adjust the settings...none to
adjust! The Nalu demo on the 6800GT had more fluid motion and more sheer
fabric and more atmosphere and all at higher frame rates.

I averaged 29, min 19, max 40 on Nurien.
Old August 19th 08, 04:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
[...]

Graw 2 is crashing with 177.83/177.90 and 'Physx Extreme' or 'High' set
on my 8800GT. How do you fare?
Old August 19th 08, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

deimos wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
[...]

I am running Aegia Island in the background as I type this. 177.83
(G92GTS) PhysX 2.8.1 + 2.8.0 and a bunch of v2.7.X's.

GRAW2 is v1.05 and PhysX is set to Extreme and runs well enough. Shyte
and debris everywhere but the explosions are wonderfully over the top.

I can't get the fluid demo to work, but GRAW2 runs fine, check your
PhysX versions on disk, I have two dozen shrug.
Old August 20th 08, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
deimos wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
[...]

I think they're doing Physx dll's similar to DirectX, each version is
specifically linked by the application, so you end up having everything
since the original Ageia drivers and some kind of wrapper on top. I've
read on NVNews that the 8800GT is specifically having problems though
with GRAW2. I wouldn't doubt it from this.
Old August 20th 08, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

deimos wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
deimos wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
[...]

That's too bad, I'm surprised how well the G92 8800GTS runs PhysX, I was
fully expecting to drop a resolution or an FSAA level to keep frame
rates up but there is no need...I'm right at the performance
borderline...any slower and I'd notice it, any faster and I wouldn't.

I guess this means if someone wanted a second video card just to handle
PhysX, you might not gain any usable FPS performance. As some
configurations and games don't lose any FPS with PhysX on.

Can you get Warmonger to work? I'm enjoying finding things to demolish,
building parts, flags...yet the stuff doesn't persist...everything has a
built in fade, sigh.

Old August 21st 08, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
deimos wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
deimos wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
[...]

Warmonger works ok, but it's boring as hell. The debris are standard
UE3 tech and have no persistence unless 'actors' are spawned by them.
Old August 21st 08, 04:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

deimos wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
deimos wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
deimos wrote:
Mr.E Solved! wrote:
[...]

At least no persistence solves the "how the hell do I transmit all this
game-state information to all the other players on the server over my
crappy broadband connection" problem.