netgear wireless router DG834G

Old May 22nd 09, 08:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Des

Default netgear wireless router DG834G

On May 21, 4:59*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Des" wrote in message

Don't bother using the wizard. Just go to Control Panel, Windows
Firewall and make sure File and Printer Sharing is added to the list of
exceptions.

I have checked firewall settings and folder and printer is checked on
both PCs.
Microsoft help tells me to go to Computer managment Shared folders
Shares. Then New file share on the Action menu. I dont have this menu
item.

For first-time users, the Network Wizard is the best way to start
networking. *You configure the host PC under WinXP Pro, then
create a floppy to do the other PC automatically. *This works.

For test purposes, on each PC select (highlight) one folder,
then Right Click for /Properties, then select to Share this
(with no password.) * When you see the PCA test folder from
PCB (and vice versa) you can add Sharing for other folders
to suit your convenience.

On the microsoft.public NGs for networking you are likely to
find more specific answers to your questions e.g. seehttp://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp%5Fics/networksetupwiz.htm

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Do I need a floppy disc on the PCs for this.
Old May 22nd 09, 08:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Des

"Des" wrote in message

[...]

Do I need a floppy disc on the PCs for this.- Hide quoted text -

Usung the Wizard
----------------

Control pannel network connections Network setup wizard

Do you want to use the exsisting shared connection for this computer's
internet access
I choose no because each PC can individualy access the internet via
the router.

I choose:This computer connects to the internet through a residential
gateway or through another computer on my network.

Computer Name Give (each) computer a name PC1 / PC2

Workgroup name: MSHOME (default)

Select Turn on file and printer sharing.

Can't create a network Setup disc because one PC does not have a
floppy disk.
Old May 22nd 09, 09:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article 630e9a13-936c-4715-b3e8-b22ccf6c5364
@k8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, Des says...

I have disabled Zone alarm and file simple file sharing is enabled
(Folder options view). Should there be something in My computer to
add a remote drive w x or y ?

Shares on the other computer show up in "Network". You can map a share
to a drive letter from the menu bar at the top (forget which, not used
XP for 2 years now but it's under the one towards the right of File,
View, Options..)

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old May 22nd 09, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ToolPackinMama

Des wrote:
Hi. I have the above wirless router. I am not a networkin engineer.

You posted this in the wrong newsgroup. So you are no expert at the
internet, either.

FS: Netgear 802.11b Router Mark Kim General Hardware 0 August 7th 04 09:02 PM
netgear dg834g Squibbly General 0 April 20th 04 06:44 PM
netgear dg834g Squibbly Homebuilt PC's 3 April 10th 04 12:04 PM
802.11b/g Wlan and Netgear WGR614 wireless router Martin Reddington Dell Computers 3 November 30th 03 04:02 AM
Where is Netgear DG834G? Jason Russell UK Computer Vendors 1 November 26th 03 06:55 PM