Help: Wifi-AP @n [P5E3 Premium]

Old July 25th 08, 02:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default Help: Wifi-AP @n [P5E3 Premium]

First off I have my internet connection (from the cable modem) plugged
into the RJ45 on the MB. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64. Problem -
After setting up ( a few times) the wireless in AP mode, clients can't
connect and / or they are disconnected.

I chose WEP and "shared network" and made the passphrase correctly.
One weird thing - in the Network connections in Vista it shows the
wireless network and strength , it also complains running the
diagnostic that there is no IP address assigned. Also Vista doesn't
seem to take the properties that I set up in the ASUS AP setup. It
shows open network, and yes I can change it but that doesn't seem to
help my clients. I saw on the client that the strength fluctuates
between excellent and out of range. Lots of out of ranges. So
perhaps it has something to do with the reach of the antennas ? I put
both on, my linksys router had no problems putting out the signal
consistently so if this is supposed to be stronger , faster ? , then
something must be wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart
Old July 27th 08, 03:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

wrote:
[...]

Until this weekend I was having (apparently) the same sort of problem
you seem to be experiencing. I have built my system around an Asus P5K
Deluxe/WiFi-AP mbo even though I seldom have any need for WiFi. I just
figured that for a few dollars more, WiFi would be nice to have in case
I ever needed it.

I have developed a triple-boot system (XP, Vista 32-bit, and Vista
64-bit). A few months ago I needed to bring my office laptop home to do
a little online work, so I muddled through setting up the Asus WiFi-AP
software. I use my office laptop regularly when on travel, so I'm
confident it's set up properly for WiFi.

The Asus WiFi-AP software never worked right in XP, and while my setup
in Vista worked fine for a while (and I got the job done with my office
laptop), eventually I noticed that the installation had become corrupted
-- I couldn't remove the Asus WiFi AP icon from my taskbar and I
couldn't even uninstall the application from Windows! I have never been
happy with Asus WiFi-AP.

Now it turns out that a friend is buying a new laptop to be delivered
from Newegg this coming Tuesday, and she wants me to set it up for her.
So to be sure I'm ready for the task, I decided Friday evening to set
up my WiFi capability and get it right this time. So I have brought my
office laptop home for testing purposes, to be sure WiFi will work when
I'm trying to set up my friend's new computer.

Most of Friday evening I felt I was just banging my head against a brick
wall. I could get the laptop to indicate it was receiving a strong
signal from my Asus WiFi-AP installation, but it would NOT get a valid
IP address. I was connected laptop to Asus mbo, but I could not get
onto the internet.

So to cut short this long story of try this/try that, here's what I
finally figured out; here's how I have successfully installed a WiFi-AP
application in XP Pro, Vista Ultimate, and Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
REMEMBER: This worked for me. I'm not asserting with confidence that
it'll work for you.

Uninstall the WiFi-AP software and device drivers provided on the Asus
motherboard CD. (Because my Vista installation was corrupted, I needed
to reinstall and then uninstall the software to remove it all successfully.)

Go to the RealTek website and download the latest versions of drivers
and application software for your RealTek wireless card. For you,
Stuart, based on what I understand to be your setup, I presume you need
to go he

http://snipurl.com/35ye7

If that's not the right RealTek software for you -- if your wireless
card isn't an RTL8110SC, then please save yourself some trouble and find
the right stuff on the RealTek site. You may need only the "auto
installation" program, but I'd download and install the Vista 64-bit
driver too.

Install the driver through Device Manager.

Install the WiFi control panel downloaded from the RealTek site. Do not
use the Asus control panel on the motherboard disk.

Change to AP (Access Point) mode. Station Mode is for when you want the
computer to sync with a connection signal from elsewhere. AP (Access
Point) mode is for when you want the computer to broadcast a WiFi signal
that your devices will sync with.

Configure as follows:

Profile Name: Access Point Mode

Network Name: Make up something appropriate for your setup -- this will
appear as the connection name in devices that use this WiFi signal.

Network Authorization: WPA2-PSK

Data Encryption: AES

Network Key: Enter something alphanumeric with eight characters -- you
have to enter it twice. This will be the password you'll be required to
supply on a laptop or other device you're connecting to the system via WiFi.

Then go to ICS, highlight the Wireless card and hit apply.

Then turn on the WiFi card on the laptop and activate the connection.

Using this method I've been able to set up WiFi-AP on all three of my
OSs -- XP, Vista32 and Vista64. When I (first) enable WiFi on my Asus
computer and (second) activate WiFi on the laptop, the laptop thinks
about five seconds and then shows a strong connection, followed shortly
by an IP address and and excellent connection to the net. After all my
fiddling around, the setup I've just described works first time every
time I set it up on a different OS -- I'm getting pretty good at it now.

Good luck and hope this helps.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old July 27th 08, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Bill Anderson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

One more thought. I am using only the Windows firewall. If you have
other firewall software installed and the setup I've described doesn't
work, then turn off the firewall and see if you get anything. If WiFi
works with the firewall turned off, well then you will have to figure
out the firewall problem on your own. My solution for my XP setup was
to uninstall ZoneAlarm and go back to Windows firewall. I managed to
convince ZoneAlarm to let me talk to Yahoo, but not anything else. I'm
sure there's a way to tell ZoneAlarm to let anything pass through
WiFi-AP, but I couldn't figure out how.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old July 27th 08, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

On Jul 27, 8:11*am, Bill Anderson wrote:
wrote:

......Bill I'm lost here..the Realtek device is the gigabit ethernet.
The wireless device is a whole other device on the motherboard.
I'll continue though working through the email and see if I can also
achieve success.

Thanks
Stuart

Old July 28th 08, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

So I misunderstood, huh? *Well, it's not the first time. *Maybe somebody
else will be able to use the info.

Pretty much , jk , no I'm not even sure the manual is correct
anymore.
Actually the manufacturer listed for the Wireless Adapter is Asustek ,
with the driver being from a company called Ralink. They have a site,
but I am not sure which driver it is as they have pci-e , and usb
(which i guess since it's built on is not).
I guess it does have an ip, it's odd I can see it on my laptop with
wireless, connected to it and then either it dies,or it says limited
connectivity. I've de clicked the options in the driver to shut off
adapters when computer enters sleep mode, even if that might be the
case.

So who knows.
Stuart

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Old July 28th 08, 02:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
So I misunderstood, huh? Well, it's not the first time. Maybe somebody
else will be able to use the info.

Pretty much , jk , no I'm not even sure the manual is correct
anymore.
Actually the manufacturer listed for the Wireless Adapter is Asustek ,
with the driver being from a company called Ralink. They have a site,
but I am not sure which driver it is as they have pci-e , and usb
(which i guess since it's built on is not).
I guess it does have an ip, it's odd I can see it on my laptop with
wireless, connected to it and then either it dies,or it says limited
connectivity. I've de clicked the options in the driver to shut off
adapters when computer enters sleep mode, even if that might be the
case.

So who knows.
Stuart

"Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi-AP @n Edition (Revision 2.00G)"
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rd,1941-6.html

"Ralink RT2770F USB 802.11n/g/b Wireless Network Interface"

According to this, it is a 1T2R design, so the second antenna
is for a receiver.

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/res...rce/RT2700.pdf

There is a driver at the top here, for RT2770. I don't know
the details, of how Asus software would mix with the Ralinktech
stuff. There is a release note as well.

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...t/Windows.html

http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/dr...0707200 8.pdf

Paul
Old July 29th 08, 12:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

"Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi-AP @n Edition (Revision 2.00G)"http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x48-motherboard,1941-6.html

* *"Ralink RT2770F USB * *802.11n/g/b Wireless Network Interface"

According to this, it is a 1T2R design, so the second antenna
is for a receiver.

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/res...rce/RT2700.pdf

There is a driver at the top here, for RT2770. I don't know
the details, of how Asus software would mix with the Ralinktech
stuff. There is a release note as well.

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...t/Windows.html

http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/dr...lease%20Note%2...

* * Paul

That all confusing to me Still appreciate the links !
Right now for this system the ethernet cable comes from the cable
modem. What I think truly lacks from Asus is a decent interface to
control the wireless network. Compare it to say Linksys. The other
things I do not understand is okay great for the dual ethernet jacks
but why two different drivers / manufacturers ? Well I'm sure it will
all become clear to me soon enough.

Stuart
Old July 29th 08, 12:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

On Jul 29, 5:17*am, " wrote:
On Jul 28, 7:32*am, Paul wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I did install both the realtek drivers and the RT2770 drivers and
app. Much better interface , now to see how to get it all to work.
Stuart
Old July 30th 08, 08:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bill Anderson" typed:
wrote:
[...]

I've been struggling with my P5K-E WiFi/AP too. XP Pro tells me it's a
Realtek RTL8187 but when I look on Realtek's site I have too choose from 3
versions, the /B, the /L and the /SE. I don't know which I have.

Install the driver through Device Manager.

Install the WiFi control panel downloaded from the RealTek site. Do
not use the Asus control panel on the motherboard disk.

I can't find this. :-( Can you give me a URL to download?

Cheers,
Shaun.