Poor Performance with GeForce 7600GT

Old September 5th 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bill Phillips

Default Poor Performance with GeForce 7600GT

Have a relatively quick system, AMD 64 4800 x2 processor, 2 GB RAM, etc. and
an Asus GeForce 7600 GT graphic board. The system runs fine, but I'm
wondering if it shouldn't run better. The benchmarks tests show the video
card has very poor performance numbers, almost to the bottom of the scale.
Is there something obvious I might have done wrong? It just seems strange
and I'm trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Old September 5th 07, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Bill Phillips" wrote in message
Have a relatively quick system, AMD 64 4800 x2 processor, 2 GB RAM,
etc. and an Asus GeForce 7600 GT graphic board. The system runs
fine, but I'm wondering if it shouldn't run better. The benchmarks
tests show the video card has very poor performance numbers, almost
to the bottom of the scale. Is there something obvious I might have
done wrong? It just seems strange and I'm trying to figure it out. Thanks
in advance for any tips.

Tip #1: give relevant details. Which benchmarks? What scores? Which
driver?

Old September 5th 07, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Bill Phillips wrote:
Have a relatively quick system, AMD 64 4800 x2 processor, 2 GB RAM, etc.
and an Asus GeForce 7600 GT graphic board. The system runs fine, but
I'm wondering if it shouldn't run better. The benchmarks tests show the
video card has very poor performance numbers, almost to the bottom of
the scale. Is there something obvious I might have done wrong? It just
seems strange and I'm trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance for
any tips.

I bet everything is fine and you thought you would get better
performance out of that sled of a video card.
Old September 6th 07, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Bill Phillips wrote:
Have a relatively quick system, AMD 64 4800 x2 processor, 2 GB RAM,
etc. and an Asus GeForce 7600 GT graphic board. The system runs fine,
but I'm wondering if it shouldn't run better. The benchmarks tests
show the video card has very poor performance numbers, almost to the
bottom of the scale. Is there something obvious I might have done
wrong? It just seems strange and I'm trying to figure it out. Thanks
in advance for any tips.

I bet everything is fine and you thought you would get better
performance out of that sled of a video card.

A 7600GT on a decent system like his is perfectly capable of performing
very well at common resolutions (like 1280x1024 and widescreen aspects
close to it) in a variety of games. Only the newest stuff like Bioshock
and Graw 2 run unacceptably. But for games like BF2, 2142, any Source
games, WOW, etc, it's perfectly fine.
Old September 6th 07, 04:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Bill Phillips wrote:
Have a relatively quick system, AMD 64 4800 x2 processor, 2 GB RAM, etc.
and an Asus GeForce 7600 GT graphic board. The system runs fine, but
I'm wondering if it shouldn't run better. The benchmarks tests show the
video card has very poor performance numbers, almost to the bottom of
the scale. Is there something obvious I might have done wrong? It just
seems strange and I'm trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance for
any tips.

Using the PCI Express slot that happens to be running at PCI Express x1 ?

On motherboards that have a "paddlecard" for changing the way the
video card slots are wired, the options are x16/x1 and x8/x8. If you
use the former configuration, then stick your 7600GT in the slot that
only has x1 bandwidth wiring, then expect to lose performance. Either
move the video card, or change the paddlecard.

Paul
Old September 6th 07, 01:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Beladi Nasralla

On Sep 6, 12:40 am, "Bill Phillips"
wrote:
Have a relatively quick system, AMD 64 4800 x2 processor, 2 GB RAM, etc. and
an Asus GeForce 7600 GT graphic board. The system runs fine, but I'm
wondering if it shouldn't run better. The benchmarks tests show the video
card has very poor performance numbers, almost to the bottom of the scale.
Is there something obvious I might have done wrong? It just seems strange
and I'm trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Gee, I have a rig very much like yours (only the CPU is slower). I ran
the 3DMark03 & 05 tests, and it placed me at the bottom of the scale
(compared with other computers). I overclocked the CPU (by increasing
FBS from 200 to 250 MHz), and overclocked the GPU (rasing the clock
speed from 710 to 800 MHz). The performance in the test now was in the
middle of the scale :-) .

I run Bioshock at the maximum settings on a 1440x900 screen, and it
has a decent framerate, cann't complain.

Old September 6th 07, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

deimos wrote:

A 7600GT on a decent system like his is perfectly capable of performing
very well at common resolutions (like 1280x1024 and widescreen aspects
close to it) in a variety of games. Only the newest stuff like Bioshock
and Graw 2 run unacceptably. But for games like BF2, 2142, any Source
games, WOW, etc, it's perfectly fine.

While shader 3.0 games run at moderate resolutions well enough, you
can't ask anything demanding of the video sub-system (the 128-bit bus
and 256M) such as FSAA and high aniso filtering or HDR with the 7600GT,
even with tame DX9 games like Serious Sam 2, or Oblivion.

The only reason the 7600GT performs as well as it does is that the core
speed and memory speed have been boosted. Perhaps the OP should break
out 3DM2K+6?