upgrading to asus k8v se deluxe mb with athlon 64 3000+

Old November 5th 04, 06:52 PM
Mike Simpson

Default upgrading to asus k8v se deluxe mb with athlon 64 3000+

I recently purchased some to hardware to upgrade one of of my two
systems. I have one gaming system that I try to keep "somewhat
state-of-the-art". and one system that I use for Business, wifes
stuff, etc.

My question is:
Is it worth upgrading my gaming system (ASUS k7n w/ xp 2800+) to the
asus k8v se deluxe with athlon 64 3000+, or should i upgrade my older
business system (ASUS A7M w/xp 2000+) and wait for better things to
come for my gaming system upgrade(ie skt 939 -- dual chan mem etc)?

Old November 5th 04, 09:18 PM
Mike

Does that mean that I shouldn't upgrade anything, If so, why? Does the AMD
64 3000+ and K8V SE deluxe stink that badly? I can still take all the stuff
back to Frys!

--
The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from
--GM Hopper
Old November 6th 04, 02:03 AM
Bud,

No, its a great chip and board I have one but the cost of an upgrade from a
2800XP to a 3000-64 would not produce a large enough performance increase to
justify the cost.
I have a AMD-64 at 2800 and a 2200XP and while the 64bit is faster it would
not have been worth it if I did not have a need for a second or I just
wanted an upgrade. Its 20% faster on average but cost 50% more so I would
keep a 2800 until price changed.
I would wait a year the cost of boards and price of CPU will make the wait
worthwhile as well as improved S-ATA rumored to hit 300 by Xmas next.
A good video card may be a better buy now if you just want faster games.
Example
A XP3000 with a Radeon 9200 is slower in games than a 2000XP with a Radeon
9800xt The GPU on the video is more important in games.
But if you have the money and want go for it.

Old November 6th 04, 06:18 PM
Fitz

Agreed. I'm running an AMD64 3200+. When I upgraded, I did so from a VIA
KT133 chipset and a 1.8 GHz processor, so the improvement was significant.
Your system is still relatively modern, and will do everything you need it
to. Wait for the NForce 4 SLI chipset w/PCI-e. Give it till after Christmas
and a few months to discover significant "bugs" to be worked out and then
upgrade. By then, prices may have stabilized a bit, and you will be much
closer to the "cutting edge", and see more of a performance improvement.

Fitz