How to clone a SATA hard disk?

Old May 6th 04, 01:20 AM
C.L. Wong

Default How to clone a SATA hard disk?

Hi,

I am using a WD80GB SATA HDD on an AMD64 3000+ system running WinXP
Pro on an MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R motherboard, with 512MB of DDR400 RAM. The
HDD is connected to a SATA connector belonging to the VIA chipset, and
not to the additional Promise SATA/RAID chipset that is also available
on the MB.

I wish to make a backup copy of the HDD onto a second SATA HDD and am
wondering how to go about doing it.

When using IDE HDDs, I would use Norton Ghost 2001, connect the
primary HDD to IDE1 and the new HDD to IDE2, boot up with a Floppy
diskette in MS-DOS 6.22 or bare boot Win98, and then run the Ghost
program from the floppy drive. I can use this method to make backup
copies of my hard drives (for archive purposes, in case the original
HDD crashes) or to upgrade to a larger capacity hard drive. It has
worked very well so far with IDE drives.

With SATA drives, a bare boot with a Win98 diskette will not enable
the system to detect and see the SATA HDD, so I do not know how to
clone a SATA HDD.

Is there anyway to clone a SATA HDD, similar to the way I can clone an
IDE HDD?

Thanks for any advice that you can offer!

C.L.
Old May 6th 04, 08:01 AM
Jens

With SATA drives, a bare boot with a Win98 diskette will not enable
the system to detect and see the SATA HDD, so I do not know how to
clone a SATA HDD.

Why not? This should work even with plain DOS.

JMS
Old May 6th 04, 08:39 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Mr. Grinch" wrote:
Have you read this already? It's all I could find on the Symantec site about
SATA and Ghost.

http://tinyurl.com/2t2v4

C'mon. In this day of malign URLs and hostile websites, you're
asking a stranger to connect to a URL he can't read? TinyURL.com
has outlived its usefulness. It's time to go back to long URLs that,
at least, can be read.

*TimDaniels*

Old May 6th 04, 03:43 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
C.L. Wong wrote:
(Jens) wrote in message . com...
With SATA drives, a bare boot with a Win98 diskette will not enable
the system to detect and see the SATA HDD, so I do not know how to
clone a SATA HDD.

Why not? This should work even with plain DOS.

JMS

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. My SATA 80GB HDD is partitioned into 2
logical drives. C: Drive is 60GB in size and is in NTFS format, and
contains all the operating system files. D: Drive is 20GB in size and
is in FAT32 format and I use it only for data storage. Don't ask me
why; the computer shop people just configured the HDD this way :-)

When I did a bare boot with MS-DOS 6.22, I could not see the HDD at
all.
When I did a bare boot with Win98, I could see the FAT32 drive which
is now reported as being the C: Drive, but not the NTFS drive at all.

I have visit the Symantec website and read the article pointed out by
an earlier poster. Does it mean that in order to support SATA drives,
Ghost must be the latest updated version of version 2003, only
available from download from the Symantec website?

I do not have a spare SATA HDD at home to experiment with. I am not
keen to spend the money to buy a new SATA HDD if my Ghost 2001 will
not be able to clone my existing SATA HDD onto the new one.

Thanks for shedding a bit of light on this matter.

FWIW; Acronis Trueimage 7 will boot from the CDROM that's burned as
part of the installation process and see my 160GBB SATA disk. I can
make an image of a NTFS SATA disk and then restore the image to a new
disk. I've done it.

TI is built on Linux.

I backup and restore over 100BM ethernet.

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old May 6th 04, 03:52 PM
Eric Gisin

"C.L. Wong" wrote in message
om...

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. My SATA 80GB HDD is partitioned into 2
logical drives. C: Drive is 60GB in size and is in NTFS format, and
contains all the operating system files. D: Drive is 20GB in size and
is in FAT32 format and I use it only for data storage. Don't ask me
why; the computer shop people just configured the HDD this way :-)

When I did a bare boot with MS-DOS 6.22, I could not see the HDD at
all.
When I did a bare boot with Win98, I could see the FAT32 drive which
is now reported as being the C: Drive, but not the NTFS drive at all.

Are you using "fdisk /status" to check for drives? You will not get drive
letters on new drives.

I have visit the Symantec website and read the article pointed out by
an earlier poster. Does it mean that in order to support SATA drives,
Ghost must be the latest updated version of version 2003, only
available from download from the Symantec website?

If fdisk sees both drives, simply use the documented -fni workaround.

Old May 6th 04, 05:47 PM
dg

Check your bios settings, the boards I have used have all had 2 different
modes for SATA, I believe they are "enhanced" and "legacy" or maybe "native"
and "legacy" depending on what board it is. Ghost 2003 works well with them
only if I set the SATA controller to "legacy". No problems after that. I
just switch back to "enhanced" before booting back to windows. I have used
giant 250gb drives like this with no problems. Strangely, Ghost works fine
when I have 2 drives setup as a RAID 0 array even though that is just about
as enhanced as a guy can get (ha ha, remembering the "male enhancement" ads
right now).

--Dan

om...

Old May 6th 04, 08:07 PM
Walt

I would connect BOTH sATA disks to the Promise chipset, boot,
select Raid 1 (Security), select Create and Duplicate, select
your original disk as the Source, select Yes to start.

All done in BIOS. No OS.

When done, you can either un-do the connections, and go back to
the way you were, or leave it all set up, and have the second
disk be maintained as a constant mirror copy of the original.

Old May 6th 04, 09:33 PM
Mr. Grinch

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in
:

"Mr. Grinch" wrote:
Have you read this already? It's all I could find on the Symantec site
about SATA and Ghost.

http://tinyurl.com/2t2v4

C'mon. In this day of malign URLs and hostile websites, you're
asking a stranger to connect to a URL he can't read? TinyURL.com
has outlived its usefulness. It's time to go back to long URLs that,
at least, can be read.

*TimDaniels*

I don't see anyone holding a gun to his head forcing him to click on it.

I did say it was on Symantec's site. He can find it himself if he wants with
a search for SATA under the GHOST KB.