Installing SATA Drive as boot drive?

Old August 28th 04, 05:56 PM
MagicUK

Default Installing SATA Drive as boot drive?

We have a 40gb Samsung drive with my dads windows xp stuff on and his trying
to transfer it to his new sata 160gb drive, we have the install disk and
have tried copying stuff over twice but the machine wont seem to boot off
the sata as a primary, just wondering any advice we may do and what would be
the normal procedure to copy from the ide drive to the sata drive maybe via
Norton ghost maybe!?

many thanks for any help!

Old August 28th 04, 06:41 PM
Wheaty

MagicUK enlightened us all with the following:

We have a 40gb Samsung drive with my dads windows xp stuff on and his
trying to transfer it to his new sata 160gb drive, we have the install
disk and have tried copying stuff over twice but the machine wont seem
to boot off the sata as a primary, just wondering any advice we may do
and what would be the normal procedure to copy from the ide drive to
the sata drive maybe via Norton ghost maybe!?

many thanks for any help!

Look in the BIOS and set the SATA to RAID function. Then set your boot
order accordingly.
Old August 28th 04, 06:42 PM
John McGaw

"MagicUK" wrote in message
We have a 40gb Samsung drive with my dads windows xp stuff on and his

trying
to transfer it to his new sata 160gb drive, we have the install disk and
have tried copying stuff over twice but the machine wont seem to boot off
the sata as a primary, just wondering any advice we may do and what would

be
the normal procedure to copy from the ide drive to the sata drive maybe

via
Norton ghost maybe!?

many thanks for any help!

"trying to transfer it to his new sata 160gb drive" So what happens when you
try to do the transfer?
"we have the install disk" What install disk is this?
"the machine wont seem to boot off the sata as a primary" Have you set the
BIOS options to let it boot that way?

There are several different ways to transfer the data and files from an old
drive to a new one. I use Apricorn's EZ Gig II but there are some freeware
ones around. Have never tried NG. Anyway, what happens when you try to boot
from the new drive? Is it recognized in the BIOS's startup screen and then
ignored later. What happened when you tried to do the copy from old to new?
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old August 29th 04, 01:11 AM
Azaran2003

Check in the bios to make sure the boot drive is set for the correct SATA drive
and on the correct channel, also when trying to load windows you will need to
have the SATA drivers for Windows. Download them from either your motherboard
manufacture (next time post system specs, makes life eaiser) or you can
download them from the chipset maker. Then you'll need them on a floppy for
install. Once inside the windows install you'll be prompted to hit F6 for
good to go. From there load your disk with the info on as a slave drive and
transfer your files.

Good luck
~A